Holo Audio Red Streamer
Dec 19, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #271 of 1,920
Does anyone know if it would output simultaneously from USB and I2S outputs when in streaming mode (as a Roon bridge, for example)? Thanks in advance.
Hello,
No, it doesn't seem to work.
As I understand it, the USB mode is coupled to the DDC.
Streaming with the Lan cable should theoretically output via I2S.

The DDC is activated when the Usb cable is plugged in, as I understand it.

Dec 20, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #272 of 1,920
i2S ==>> HDMI to RJ45 converter/adapter or cable?

The red outputs its 12S signals via an HDMI cable. However my DAC (Sonnet Morpheus) receives its own i2S signals through a standard RJ45 configuration. Does anyone know if there is an adapter, a converter, or a cable that might enable the i2S output on the Red to talk to the i2S input on the Sonnet Morpheus DAC?

RED-2-Large.jpg

2RthQNk__89490.1586486947.1280.1280__07698.1588970986.jpg

***Please note that the I2S input on the Morpheus is tagged as "USB" because the I2S module has to replace the USB module.

Dec 20, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #273 of 1,920
I’m looking at this product with great interest, but I have a question that I hope is not that silly.
Once I use it as a pure streamer/renderer feed via LAN/RJ45, may I output on USB, I2S and AES/EBU (for example) all “in parallel” ? I understood the difference with resolution/bit deept and the signal type (PCM or pure DSD) belonging to the different outputs, but the idea is to feed three different DACs at the same time.

EDIT: it has been asnwered at post no. 271 issued when I was posting mine. Thanks.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #274 of 1,920
i2S ==>> HDMI to RJ45 converter/adapter or cable?

The red outputs its 12S signals via an HDMI cable. However my DAC (Sonnet Morpheus) receives its own i2S signals through a standard RJ45 configuration. Does anyone know if there is an adapter, a converter, or a cable that might enable the i2S output on the Red to talk to the i2S input on the Sonnet Morpheus DAC?

RED-2-Large.jpg

2RthQNk__89490.1586486947.1280.1280__07698.1588970986.jpg

***Please note that the I2S input on the Morpheus is tagged as "USB" because the I2S module has to replace the USB module.
You already have Ambre and for Metrum and Sonnet I don't see any reason to get this on top of Ambre if I2S is your preferred connection...
If you want Tidal Connect, Spotify Connect or Airplay then just pop in Volumio to your Ambre.
If you want 384Khz via I2S then Singxer SU-6 is your friend but that's a DDC.

Dec 20, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #275 of 1,920
You already have Ambre and for Metrum and Sonnet I don't see any reason to get this on top of Ambre if I2S is your preferred connection...
If you want Tidal Connect, Spotify Connect or Airplay then just pop in Volumio to your Ambre.
Or Denafrips Iris or Hermes.

Dec 20, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #276 of 1,920
You're absolutely correct. My Ambre is still the perfect I2S solution for my needs, so the above inquiry was made in the spirit of purely hypothetical research for the satisfaction of my curiosity. I have no plans to buy the red at this moment as my Ambre is already more than enough for my needs, but I did have a "what if" moment and that is where the question came from.

With that out of the way, I am genuinely curious about the question regarding the possible existence of an i2S (HDMI) to I2S (RJ45) converter/adapter solution.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #277 of 1,920
You're absolutely correct. My Ambre is still the perfect I2S solution for my needs, so the above inquiry was made in the spirit of purely hypothetical research for the satisfaction of my curiosity. I have no plans to buy the red at this moment as my Ambre is already more than enough for my needs, but I did have a "what if" moment and that is where the question came from.

With that out of the way, I am genuinely curious about the question regarding the possible existence of an i2S (HDMI) to I2S (RJ45) converter/adapter solution.
Yes, we do have converter that I guess are available to convert LVDS I2S to buffered I2S but not sure if they are transparent enough to go thru the trouble.
I guess the best alternative to Ambre is Sonnet Hermes, Pi2AES Mercury V2, SU-6, Denafrips DDC for I2S connection to Sonnet and Metrum DAC

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #281 of 1,920
That's interesting. I wonder what the USB-Out is for then
I would think USB out would be commonly used to connect a USB dac when in streamer mode (Ethernet input).
Or am I missing something?

Dec 22, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #282 of 1,920
I would think USB out would be commonly used to connect a USB dac when in streamer mode (Ethernet input).
Or am I missing something?
That was my understanding as well. However according to Post #271 above USB is associated with DCC mode, and streaming from LAN outputs through I2S, which does not quite meets my understanding, hence my question.
I have placed an order for a unit, so I will hopefully find out first hand soon. I appreciate everyone's replies.

Dec 22, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #283 of 1,920
That was my understanding as well. However according to Post #271 above USB is associated with DCC mode, and streaming from LAN outputs through I2S, which does not quite meets my understanding, hence my question.
I have placed an order for a unit, so I will hopefully find out first hand soon. I appreciate everyone's replies.
I can confirm that the DDC also works in streamer mode. The way this function works is that the RED has a virtual USB that can be set to redirected to the I2s. After that, all you have to do is to output (from roon or HQPlayer) to that "virtual" USB and the signal gests routed to the I2s instead of the USB port of the RED.

Dec 22, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #284 of 1,920
Received mine last week. Can’t wait for a manual! I got it working but am super confused!

I am trying to use it as a NAA endpoint.

Mac Mini running HQPlayer —> NAA over Ethernet —> Holo Red —> via usb —> Spring 3

Max upsampling seems to be 768k pcm

It will only output sound from the standard USB not the Red USB

I’m so confused 😂

Dec 22, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #285 of 1,920
Received mine last week. Can’t wait for a manual! I got it working but am super confused!

I am trying to use it as a NAA endpoint.

Mac Mini running HQPlayer —> NAA over Ethernet —> Holo Red —> via usb —> Spring 3

Max upsampling seems to be 768k pcm

It will only output sound from the standard USB not the Red USB

I’m so confused 😂
The Red USB is only used as a virtual output in order to convert the signal to the other outputs (AES, I2s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back