Holo Audio Red Streamer
Dec 6, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #183 of 1,857
Don't want to start a holy war here as it's clear this device measures well but how does it sound? I have a Spring Level 3 DAC fed by a SOtM 200 Ultra with a LPS. The computer that drives my HQP doesn't have enough grunt to do the exotic high DSD sample rates. I use USB - so if the DAC clock is the important clock here, and I don't want to use stratospheric upsampling, will the Red give me a better listening experience? If I'm not looking to convert a USB signal to (for example) I2S then what does this box give me? Genuine question - grateful for any insights.
Feeling the same here. Been using Rendus+PC with HQP and happy with the results. Changing the Rendu for the Red will result in improvements anywhere? Not possible to know at this point of course, and the Red being cheaper to start with, it seems a good deal. The discussion on the fact it measures so well keeps my mind wondering why most of us here dont have SMSL DACs even though they are probably the best measuring, or among the very top at least.

But, hey, of course it can measure well AND sound much better than its price point would suggest.

Dec 8, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #184 of 1,857
Changing the Rendu for the Red will result in improvements anywhere?
That's what I'd like to know too.
In fact after getting the May L2 I went back and did listening without the uRendu - going from an M1 mini (headless, RoonServer only) > iFi iusb3/LPS > May.
The USB connection from the M1 is slightly more transparent than using the ethernet connected uRendu with USB out to the May.
My ethernet setup includes the Uptone Etherregen switch - with separate LPS for both the uRendu and Etherregen.
In the past I have preferred the uRendu setup, so I suspect the superior USB implementation of the May has turned the tables here.

I'm curious to hear what @GoldenOne has to say about the Red when used with the May - in both Streamer, ethernet>USB, and DDC mode USB > I²S.

Dec 9, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #185 of 1,857
Hello,

I have 2-3 questions regarding the use of the Red.

If I use the Ethernet port, I have all available outputs, right?
So also Usb out which I need to send the signal to the Dac,if it has no Coax,I2S ect.

According to the Magna Hifi description,I understood that the DDC is only active when the Usb B port is occupied.and streaming is not possible.
Is this correct?
With the streamer I would theoretically be flexible as follows if all this is true.
I can then stream with Pc/Red DDC/Dac/Amp or Red/Dac/Amp/Streaming (with software like Roon,Hq,Tidal connect ect).

Correct me if I am wrong.

Dec 9, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #186 of 1,857
Hello,

I have 2-3 questions regarding the use of the Red.

If I use the Ethernet port, I have all available outputs, right?
So also Usb out which I need to send the signal to the Dac,if it has no Coax,I2S ect.

According to the Magna Hifi description,I understood that the DDC is only active when the Usb B port is occupied.and streaming is not possible.
Is this correct?
With the streamer I would theoretically be flexible as follows if all this is true.
I can then stream with Pc/Red DDC/Dac/Amp or Red/Dac/Amp/Streaming (with software like Roon,Hq,Tidal connect ect).

Correct me if I am wrong.
This is my understanding as well, so all your requirements should be fulfilled

Dec 11, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #188 of 1,857
USB output is an option when using the streamer mode.
In DDC mode the USB is used as the input with the various SPDIF and I2S as output options.

Dec 12, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #189 of 1,857
Very interested in the RED. I have a Kitsune May which I am using with a Lumin U2 Mini. I recently added an LPS to the U2 which improves performance quite a bit. I also have had a Kitsune SU-2. I am wondering if the Holo magic with USB etc. could make it outperform the Lumin. I've had a number of Pi based streamers like the Allo USBridge Signature and the Stack Audio Link II. The Lumin is significantly better than both even without the LPS.

Golden, I'll be interested in your review of the RED :)

Dec 12, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #190 of 1,857
I've swapped from RopieeeXL to the official RED OS.
1.536mhz is working fine, as is Roon/HQPlayer quickswitching.

1670885130369.png

Dec 12, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #191 of 1,857
I’m thinking about ordering one of these, but I’m trying to go from the PC to this via USB, then have I2S out to one of the DACs and the USB out to the other DAC. Will this DDC work that way?

Dec 12, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #192 of 1,857
@GoldenOne can you test the ability of the RED to pass 32 bit DXD files? This is something that my other Pi4 based streamers did (though its not in their specs), and my Lumin U2 Mini does. Though RED may not according to specs and Kitsune. I can give you some samples if you need them. I am attaching what Roon and my Lumin say when its working (My Stack Link II which is a RopieeXL/Pi based streamer also shows like this).

32 bit.png

1670885978409.png

Dec 12, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #194 of 1,857

Users who are viewing this thread

Back