Holo Audio Red Streamer
Nov 28, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #107 of 1,914
Under the Red ? Because I haven't seen a dip. Inside, it's probably the 110/230v power supply switch.
https://www.kitsunehifi.com/product/holoaudio-red-ddc-network-streamer/
1669665929098.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #108 of 1,914
Nov 28, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #111 of 1,914
I can't find anything on the product page about if it has wifi. Does that mean to use it for Airplay, it will need to be connected via ethernet?

Nov 28, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #114 of 1,914
And that is, literally, the only serious flaw with this device.
Agreed. I was thinking of getting one, but tbh, can't be bother to run another 100ft ethernet cable just for an audio streamer haha. Might look into building my own streamer using a pi instead.

Nov 28, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #116 of 1,914
@FooFighter
Thank you for the detailed answer.
It did indeed come across a bit wrong, but it is now clarified.

I understood about 1024 Dsd, but why 1.5 mhz as Pcm instead of Khz, what is the difference?

I will wait until next year before I decide.
But I am curious which streamer will win the race.
I also find Magnahifi's own Mano streamer interesting in a way.

Nov 29, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #118 of 1,914
I can't find anything on the product page about if it has wifi. Does that mean to use it for Airplay, it will need to be connected via ethernet?
From the early product photos, it seems like the Raspberry Pi CM4 board used in Holo Red are those without the WIFI and Bluetooth module. However, since they are using the standard CM4, we should be able to change to the CM4 WIFI+BT feature. As some mentioned, the Red can work with something like Ropieee then the WIFI+BT CM4 should work out of the box.

Nov 29, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #119 of 1,914
I have high expectation on this Holo Red as an official CM4 upgraded version of my modified CM4 Allo USBridge Signature. While it is still too early to make any conclusion, Holo seem to focus more on the DDC function instead of the streaming. Majority of the components on the Red board are for the DDC. There is no better clock for the CM4 module and / or its USB output interface, unless Holo hide them under the CM4 board or below the I/O board at the back of the unit (unlikely). So, for streamer function, they might be only use the standard built in Ethernet chip, standard USB interface on the CM4 with only better linear power supply.
Even the Ifi ZenStream has better clock for the USB output.
Quite disappointed if that is the case.

Nov 29, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #120 of 1,914
@GoldenOne do you know the functions of the DIP switch levers at the bottom of the Red?
Is that for setting the output port in DDC mode or configuring startup of predefined services like on the Ifi Zen Stream with its mode switch?
I'm not 100% sure but I'd assume it's for adjusting i2s pinout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back