Holo Audio Red Streamer
Nov 27, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #91 of 1,924
Maybe interested Aussies (ie including me) might put together a bulk buy if the details work out...
I'll post back once I hear details - but HK details were:

"original price HKD6280 (USD798) + shipping - but offering earlybird HKD6000 + free shipping for you.
Lead time around Lunar New Year"

It's somewhat tempting so hopefully I hear back from IndieHiFi soon

Nov 28, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #94 of 1,924
That sucks. I’m located in canada and I ordered the Red streamer from Magna…it’s probably going to cost me a lot more.
Always worth to ask for a good price personally before hitting the order button also in case of Magna...

Don't know about import fees in Canada but for Germany it's 19% on top of the purchase price and shipping fees combined...
So unfortunately not as attractive as it looks like

Nov 28, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #96 of 1,924
Ordered one.

Will probably use it in DDC mode, as I like the powerful M1 MacBook Pro for Roon and HQP processing.
This won't keep you from using it with Roon / NAA client and let your Laptop do the processing.
I am planning to use DDC solely for Apple Music from IPad

Nov 28, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #98 of 1,924
I thought it was the other way around.

I was planning to use streaming only for AirPlay
DDC = No network functions
You plug in whatever you like into usb in and get output out of one of the ports

Streaming service like Roon, HQPLAYER, Tidal Connect, Airplay 2 in the other mode with network functionality

Nov 28, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #100 of 1,924
Just preordered Red (Magna HiFi).
Second time I’ve pre-ordered a Holo unit without prior hearing. It paid off last time (Spring 3 KTE), I’ll see how it goes now. I will let you know.
Now comes the hardest phase. Waiting:) Red is currently not in the stock at Magna, so few weeks to wait.

Nov 28, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #101 of 1,924
It's funny how this page has all the specs and accurate product descriptions up already while the Bliss headphone amp still references the dimensions of their May DAC and has "coming soon" on details for the last 3 weeks

Nov 28, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #102 of 1,924
I'm hesitating with my (personnal) ZenStream that I can't compare before... I'm not sure that investing 999€ is worth it for a "lower jitter and more credible stamps" (formula used to give the change and not to say that I spent a lot for a self-suggested (micro) quality increase)

Nov 28, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #103 of 1,924
@FooFighter

Have I understood correctly that when I plug in my network cable and have connected everything as far as possible, the output via I2S ect... is not possible?

But only if I go via Usb port?

If so, where does the output go out from the network connection?
Somehow the whole thing doesn't make sense to me.

Nov 28, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #104 of 1,924
@FooFighter

Have I understood correctly that when I plug in my network cable and have connected everything as far as possible, the output via I2S ect... is not possible?

But only if I go via Usb port?

If so, where does the output go out from the network connection?
Somehow the whole thing doesn't make sense to me.
Sorry if my statements were a bit confusing.
AFAIK (only heard it from Magnahifi)
- there's a pure DDC mode where you can convert an usb input signal into one of the many output formats like plug and play without network involved as if you plug e.g your IPad into the DAC
- there's a streaming mode where you boot the firmware (or alternative Bootimage like RopieeeXL) and can switch on/off one of the many streaming services like Roon Client, NAA client, Tidal Connect, UPNP, Spotify etc

In the second case you have network functionality and can then do the same as on other streamers like Ifi Zen Stream but with higher specs like DSD512 and PCM768.
Holo Audio is working on a new Kernel that is removing the limit of DSD512 and PCM 768 so you can upsample with software like HQPLAYER to the highest possible rates DSD1024 or PCM 1,5Mhz and if they succeed this will be the first consumer solution with such specs (besides self configured 3rd party hardware like mini PCs with custom Boot images like my current UpGateway Mini Atom PC which can do nothing but act as an NAA client for HQPLAYER but is unlimited in sample rate).

The benefit of the Holo Red is its versatility to have all those mentioned features in one box with (I think) very good hardware in the box which should lead to better measuring results like low Jitter etc as far as I heard first statements of reviewer @GoldenOne.

But yes, in the end everyone needs to decide if 1k Eur is worth the investment.
On the other hand that price range is like the lower middle class of streamers if you look at other brands like e.g Auralic etc whereas these will often offer some own frontend for music service control.
On the likes of Ifi Zen Stream or Holo Red you need to ensure the client server part yourself like having an existing Roon - HQPlayer backend or just use the standard solutions of Tidal Connect and Spotify which only need a simple smartphone anyway for the remote control

Nov 28, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #105 of 1,924
@GoldenOne do you know the functions of the DIP switch levers at the bottom of the Red?
Is that for setting the output port in DDC mode or configuring startup of predefined services like on the Ifi Zen Stream with its mode switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back