Holo Audio Red Streamer
Nov 22, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #46 of 1,883
I don’t think they have got their facts straight. moOde doesn’t support Qobuz or Tidal, at least not natively. You first need to route Qobuz and Tidal output to DLNA with external apps like mConnect or BubbleUPnP.

That is not what I would expect from the marketing blurb. There is no Tidal Connect. Nor Deezer Connect. If you want to say that the Red is DLNA-capable, then it would be more accurate to say just that.

I only wish, truly do!

Nov 22, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #48 of 1,883
From my first few Google searches it seems that alternative images seem to cost license fees meanwhile if they have meaningful content like streaming clients.
So I'd prefer a one time cost stock software which has such licenses yet included.
Looking at Zen Stream which I own they have Tidal Connect on board and a Roon Bridge support plus NAA, DLNA and UPNP.
I am personally fine with Roon/HQPlayer support anyway but others might want to use the native streaming clients.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #49 of 1,883
Ropieeexl is free
Volumio is also free but AFAIK you can pay for some extra features.

Dietpi is also free and very flexible but a bit more involved to set up.

I like RopieeeXL cause you literally put it on the sd card. Turn the device on. Then just toggle on/off any endpoints you want and reboot. Done.

Nov 22, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #50 of 1,883
Ropieeexl is free
Volumio is also free but AFAIK you can pay for some extra features.

Dietpi is also free and very flexible but a bit more involved to set up.

I like RopieeeXL cause you literally put it on the sd card. Turn the device on. Then just toggle on/off any endpoints you want and reboot. Done.
That's this one right?
https://ropieee.org/xl/

At least it has Roon, HQPLAYER support which would cover my personal demand but still I d like to read about the Holo Audio stock software first, I cannot believe that Holo Audio will point to 3rd party software only

Nov 22, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #51 of 1,883
RopieeeXL doesn’t support Qobuz or Deezer other than through AirPlay. No one does yet.
Pretty sure I am using Roon through Ropieee now, and by extension Tidal and Qobuz.

Nov 22, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #52 of 1,883
Yeah, and many audio distributions like it.
At least it has Roon, HQPLAYER support which would cover my personal demand but still I d like to read about the Holo Audio stock software first, I cannot believe that Holo Audio will point to 3rd party software only
There is no shame in using 3rd party software, in fact, it would be an impossible undertaking for all those companies to do all their own implementations. Branded hardware with native support (like Sonos with Spotify Connect) use libraries too, in this example closed source libraries from Spotify that they only release to companies that pay for a license and go through an extensive certification program.

Open source audio distributions and, lately, Chi-Fi devices like Gustard's and presumably this one too, all take libraries and applications from the open source community. shairplay-sync for AirPlay, librespot for Spotify. These were reverse engineered and unsanctioned by their license holders (in this case, Apple and Spotify respectively).

Again no shame in that at all, glad to see that open source software being put to good use. Personally I hold the belief that these open source endpoints benefit everyone: those who would want to listen to music, the streaming media getting more subscribers ($), and musicians getting more plays ($).
Pretty sure I am using Roon through Ropieee now, and by extension Tidal and Qobuz.
That's certainly true, thanks for pointing that out. My point was about Deezer Connect (no support) and Tidal, remotely, natively, through Tidal Connect.

I think the one exception is Volumio, which has Tidal Connect and is Tidal certified. Awesome example where Tidal as a company has been very forthcoming to provide a license to the open source community. I have not seen that before, and not since.

I am one of the maintainers of librespot, and we have no lines of communication with Spotify, although we know that they are aware of us.
Currently I am also working on reverse engineering Deezer Connect. I have approach Deezer on several social media, but so far without response. Previously they have issued DCMA takedowns on projects that pirated their music. Obviously that is opposite of the player I intend to make.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #53 of 1,883
Letting the software part aside, I am curious how the different interface options (I2S, USB, COAX, optical) will differ sound-wise fed into Spring/May and also how Red will sound compared to my current streaming options which are Ifi Zen Stream, iPad or Up Gateway Mini Atom PC as NAA.

I've considered the Titanis USB module superior in my Spring 3 KTE but still some people prefer I2S but no one tested Holo Red as source yet, so different DDCs might differ in sound?
I can only tell that 1,5 years back I could tell differences between Blusound Node 2i being used as streamer and Ifi Zen Stream connected to some Pontus 2 DAC.
So I believe in different streamers sounding different (am not talking about jitter but sound signature like leaner ore more full bodied in my test case in the past)

Last question is if it can be beneficial to route an USB source like an iPad with Apple Music though a DDC like Red rather than directly plugging it into the USB-port of the DAC, keyword re-clocking, USB-jitter-cleanup? (though the latter shouldn't be an issue with the mentioned USB-Titanis module as mentioned anyway)

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #54 of 1,883
Qobuz is working on something that we could call "Qobuz Connect". We asked them this year at the Munich High End 2022. In fact, they stated that it's their most requested feature. Just a matter of time until such a plugin finds its way to RooopieXL etc.

Nov 22, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #55 of 1,883
Letting the software part aside, I am curious how the different interface options (I2S, USB, COAX, optical) will differ sound-wise fed into Spring/May and also how Red will sound compared to my current streaming options which are Ifi Zen Stream, iPad or Up Gateway Mini Atom PC as NAA.

I've considered the Titanis USB module superior in my Spring 3 KTE but still some people prefer I2S but no one tested Holo Red as source yet, so different DDCs might differ in sound?
I can only tell that 1,5 years back I could tell differences between Blusound Node 2i being used as streamer and Ifi Zen Stream connected to some Pontus 2 DAC.
So I believe in different streamers sounding different (am not talking about jitter but sound signature like leaner ore more full bodied in my test case in the past)

Last question is if it can be beneficial to route an USB source like an iPad with Apple Music though a DDC like Red rather than directly plugging it into the USB-port of the DAC, keyword re-clocking, USB-jitter-cleanup? (though the latter shouldn't be an issue with the mentioned USB-Titanis module as mentioned anyway)
Yes I also wonder about this. Contrary to Holo's USB interfaces in its DACs, I see a XMOS implementation pictured. Skimming over the pictures I see no super duper oscillators and no external clock input, right? That the USB implementation seems different from the awesomeness in the Holo DACs isn't necessarily bad, just different. Certainly from the L7audio measurements it looks amazing once again.

Or maybe Holo's secret is a PLL that just doesn't care about clock quality, and whatever you feed it into gold.
That would certainly be worthy of a patent!

The idea of an RPi Compute Model as low-noise SBC is a proven concept: https://www.allo.com/sparky/usbridge-signature-pcb.html
When you look at that price and compare it to this Red that comes complete in a case, with software, various connectors, and probably a great power supply, then the Red seems good value.
Qobuz is working on something that we could call "Qobuz Connect". We asked them this year at the Munich High End 2022. In fact, they stated that it's their most requested feature. Just a matter of time until such a plugin finds its way to RooopieXL etc.
Will they open source it? If yes: mega.
If no: it may be in their apps, but be a while before anyone reverse engineers it and comes up with plugins.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #56 of 1,883
Can you pls explain?
There's no "Qobuz-Connect" solution AFAIK.
I assumed as it was listed under streaming services that it would be via DLNA and an app in firmware not unlike Sonicorbiter is to the Rendu's

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #57 of 1,883
I assumed as it was listed under streaming services that it would be via DLNA and and app in firmware not unlike Sonicorbiter is to the Rendu's
Yep, that'll work through mconnect app just like Ifi Zen Stream nowadays too

Nov 22, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #59 of 1,883
Hello,

Would the streamer also work with Audirvana 3.5 and Studio?
Nothing has been mentioned about that yet.
And there are certainly people who use Audirvana instead of Roon and co.

The rest looks pretty good to me.
I'm looking forward to further reports when the units are freely available.

Nov 22, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #60 of 1,883
This looks awesome! I might buy one to stick NAA OS on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back