Holo Audio Red Streamer
Nov 21, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #16 of 1,831
Available for preorder on Magna HiFi with a slightly informative webpage, and more pix.

https://magnahifi.com/holoaudio-red-network-streamer-ddc-i2s-dsd1024/
Thx for this reference!
Reading the native sample rates it seems to support max Holo Spring/May DSD sample rates but only 768khz PCM instead of 1.5Mhz 🙄
"...16-24bit 44.1-768kHz – Native DSD64 – 1024"
On another note I appreciate the option of digital media conversion.
That means I can for example plug in my IPhone / IPad and play Apple Music from there and Red will transform into whatever target like I2S, SPDIF etc (that's how I understand it) without me needing to switch my DACs USB cable from one source to another.
On the other hand the build-in PI will allow network streaming of Tidal Connect or functioning as a Roon-Bridge.
What I am missing in the specs is a reference for NAA (HQPlayer Client) functionality which I ve read elsewhere in this thread.
Mentioning Qobuz as supported streaming service makes me question the use case other than Roon as Qobuz service implementation is lacking any native broadcasting capabilities such as Tidal Connect or is there a Qobuz Client built-into the firmware?

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #18 of 1,831
Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #19 of 1,831
768 is disappointing but I expect it's a hardware limitation rather than a design choice. Passing
That's an intersting point!
I hope it's just an error in the specs 🙄

Nov 21, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #20 of 1,831
It'll be interesting to see how this subjectively compares to the Singxer SU-6. I've been looking for something that can match the SU-6 sound quality, but with higher sampling rates. I wonder, given Holo's history, if mod kits to accept external DC power supplies are a future possibility.

Nov 21, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #21 of 1,831
implementation is lacking any native broadcasting capabilities such as Tidal Connect or is there a Qobuz Client built-into the firmware?
Steaming servicesDeezer, Spotify, Qobuz, Tidal, Web radios
Others servicesAirPlay 2
Spotify Connect
Tidal Connect
Roon Ready

They call it out separately, but yes somewhat confusing

Nov 21, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #23 of 1,831
Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #24 of 1,831
I wonder how!? not trying to diminush the Holo of course..
Not sure, Jeff seems to know how to design stuff very well in terms of clocking it seems.
May/Spring 3 PLL is kinda bonkers, and jitter performance on both DACs was basically perfect too.
Available for preorder on Magna HiFi with a slightly informative webpage, and more pix.

https://magnahifi.com/holoaudio-red-network-streamer-ddc-i2s-dsd1024/
Reading the native sample rates it seems to support max Holo Spring/May DSD sample rates but only 768khz PCM instead of 1.5Mhz 🙄
"...16-24bit 44.1-768kHz – Native DSD64 – 1024"
Worth noting that the sample rate limits there are just for the I2S output.
With USB out it works with PCM1.536mhz/DSD1024 just fine.
The limitation with I2S seems to be a stability thing. I2S LVDS (the external I2S connection we use between DDCs and DACs) isn't really supposed to work in the first place. I2S was designed for internal communication, not over a longer external one.
At higher rates like 768khz a lot of the time it'll be unstable and you'll end up getting static playing if things get desynced. I imagine at 1.536mhz it's probably just not possible to have it work reliably at all. Otherwise Jeff would have included it given as the May/Spring 3 do accept 1.536mhz over I2S.
What I am missing in the specs is a reference for NAA (HQPlayer Client) functionality which I ve read elsewhere in this thread.
Not sure what the official RED OS image supports (I have a copy but have not tried it yet), but you can indeed run HQP on the RED.
Either via USB, or over the network by just running an NAA enabled OS.
I personally recommend RopieeeXL. It supports Roon, Airplay, HQP NAA, Spotify Connect, UPNP, MPD and basically anything you could want, with minimal setup. Just flash, turn on the features you want and it's done.
It also allows you to switch between roon and HQP seamlessly which is really nice.
768 is disappointing but I expect it's a hardware limitation rather than a design choice. Passing
See above, it does 1.536mhz

Nov 21, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #25 of 1,831
get it from wildism audio for $755. way cheaper than magna
I'll wait until I can order it from Tim at Kutsune, as I am in the US. I am really happy with how my stack works off my M1 MacBook Pro, but at this price, it hurts less to try a (potentially) very good streamer at a lower entry cost than many options.

Nov 21, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #26 of 1,831
I'll wait until I can order it from Tim at Kutsune, as I am in the US. I am really happy with how my stack works off my M1 MacBook Pro, but at this price, it hurts less to try a (potentially) very good streamer at a lower entry cost than many options.
With USB out at PCM1.536mhz/DSD1024 confirmed I'm in. Now for Apple to release the M2 mini...

Nov 21, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #27 of 1,831
also way cheaper than a ultra rendu. And it comes with internal LPS. and it is a DDC. and it doesn't look so boring / is ridiculous for placement (because three cables coming from all places weight more than your streamer).
But, since I will be using it as NAA, now I wonder of the learning curve with new OS image (what is even this?!), etc. With the rendus it was pretty easy to select via sonicorbiter and then on HQP.

Nov 22, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #28 of 1,831
Steaming servicesDeezer, Spotify, Qobuz, Tidal, Web radios
Others servicesAirPlay 2
Spotify Connect
Tidal Connect
Roon Ready

They call it out separately, but yes somewhat confusing
Can you pls explain?
There's no "Qobuz-Connect" solution AFAIK.
Only way would be
a) to provide a Qobuz Client API in the Red firmware
b) only provide an UPNP service and needing an additional 3rd party app like Mconnect to stream Qobuz

Nov 22, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #29 of 1,831
Import taxes + currency exchange = same price eventually?

Nov 22, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #30 of 1,831
Will wait for the reviews to come out as I've been looking for a decent streamers for a while now and this would fit well with my current stack (appearance wise atleast !)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back