Holo Audio May DAC Speculation
Mar 20, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #811 of 1,241
Can I please have some guidance on a suitable source for May?

I have a Roon Nucleus with Farad Super 3 supply, so that side of things is spot on. I'm struggling with the end point side of things. I am going to try a Sonore Optical Rendu, but with another Farad Super 3 that's going to be around £2600. For that expense, I could buy an Auralic Aries G1.1 or a Lumin U2.

Thoughts please?

Mar 20, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #812 of 1,241
Thoughts please?
iFi ZEN Stream (USB) -> Holo Red (USB and I2s) -> Rockna Wavedream/Wavelight NET (I2s)

Soundwise my Wavedream NET is well above every digital source I've ever heard. It really makes a difference and not a small one. Although, it's expensive and do not have USB connectivity. Holo Red probably is best for price/performance (as always with Holo). ZEN is most budget option.

opticalRendu once was a great option, but since then the competitors have gone far ahead. I sold mine over a year ago and have never regretted it. I mean it's not bad on its own, just not good/competitive enough to buy it in 2023, IMO. There are both cheaper and better options on the market. I still use two Sonore optical modules to isolate my source from the rest of the network.

P.S. Whichever source you choose, I would recommend to make sure that it supports HQPlayer like all of the above.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #813 of 1,241

I have a Roon Nucleus with Farad Super 3 supply, so that side of things is spot on. I'm struggling with the end point side of things. I am going to try a Sonore Optical Rendu, but with another Farad Super 3 that's going to be around £2600. For that expense, I could buy an Auralic Aries G1.1 or a Lumin U2.

Thoughts please?
LHY SWC-10 with optical isolation of both computer and router -> Holo Red -> May KTE -> Bliss KTE/Envy.

Complete satisfaction here.

Mar 20, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #814 of 1,241
but can the Aries or U2 be used as NAA? using May you probably already use HQP to upsample, or if you dont (sorry, dont remember from your earlier posts), you might wanna revisit.
I have used both ultra and optical rendu with both Uptone JS2 and Farad3 with my spring 3, and both were fantantic, regardless of the PS. I looked at both other streamers you mentioned but AFAIR they didnt have NAA functionality. I had a short demo of a Lumin streamer integrated and though it was good, but not as good as my Spring or T+A with the rendus

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #815 of 1,241

Thoughts please?
I have an aries g2.1 with may kte.

Very happy with aries especially using wifi (which is not a downgrade from ethernet) but i have not compared it to other streamers.

BUT i believe you can not use HQ player with it. Non issue for me but……

Mar 21, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #816 of 1,241
I have an aries g2.1 with may kte.

Very happy with aries especially using wifi (which is not a downgrade from ethernet) but i have not compared it to other streamers.

BUT i believe you can not use HQ player with it. Non issue for me but……
The 2.1 does look lovely, but twice the price of the 1.1. Would love to listen to one. AES is my favourite output.

Mar 27, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #817 of 1,241
Hi guys, I just got my May KTE and have had it for a couple days. Today I noticed a soft but noticeable constant hum/buzzing coming from the SE output into my amp/headphone (initially I did not notice buzzing). If I disconnect just one SE at either end, the hum goes away. If I lift the DAC off of the DAC power supply by 2 inches, the hum goes away. I have the dac and power supply stacked, and if I stagger the dac back by 2 inches the hum/buzzing reduces. if I disconnect all other electrical devices from this breaker, the hum still exists. If I disconnect the DAC from the amp by removing one or both SE RCA at the DAC or the Amp, even at max volume the amp has 0 buzzing when on. Interestingly the balanced out is not as affected as with my speakers turned up near 100% I do not hear the same buzz. If I swap to another DAC (Schiit/Mcintosh) there is no buzz.

I know others have said to check active home power filtering (I have none), and to buy the Emotiva CMX-2 (ordered it). I was on a OG A1 Yggdrasil and did not have any issues with floor noise. I just re-did my main panel and the wiring to the room I am in, so its not my home electrical.

I could separate the units by 2 inches but I am running a custom rack by symposium and it would be a huge pain to have parts ordered and reassembled.

Anyone have similar issues or any ideas to help me? Thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #818 of 1,241
Hi guys, I just got my May KTE and have had it for a couple days. Today I noticed a soft but noticeable constant hum/buzzing coming from the SE output into my amp/headphone (initially I did not notice buzzing). If I disconnect just one SE at either end, the hum goes away. If I lift the DAC off of the DAC power supply by 2 inches, the hum goes away. I have the dac and power supply stacked, and if I stagger the dac back by 2 inches the hum/buzzing reduces. if I disconnect all other electrical devices from this breaker, the hum still exists. If I disconnect the DAC from the amp by removing one or both SE RCA at the DAC or the Amp, even at max volume the amp has 0 buzzing when on. Interestingly the balanced out is not as affected as with my speakers turned up near 100% I do not hear the same buzz. If I swap to another DAC (Schiit/Mcintosh) there is no buzz.

I know others have said to check active home power filtering (I have none), and to buy the Emotiva CMX-2 (ordered it). I was on a OG A1 Yggdrasil and did not have any issues with floor noise. I just re-did my main panel and the wiring to the room I am in, so its not my home electrical.

I could separate the units by 2 inches but I am running a custom rack by symposium and it would be a huge pain to have parts ordered and reassembled.

Anyone have similar issues or any ideas to help me? Thanks!
Have you spoken to Magna/Kitsune? Lots of people use them stacked without issue.

Mar 27, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #819 of 1,241
If I disconnect just one SE at either end, the hum goes away. If I lift the DAC off of the DAC power supply by 2 inches, the hum goes away. I have the dac and power supply stacked, and if I stagger the dac back by 2 inches the hum/buzzing reduces. if I disconnect all other electrical devices from this breaker, the hum still exists. If I disconnect the DAC from the amp by removing one or both SE RCA at the DAC or the Amp, even at max volume the amp has 0 buzzing when on.
Most likely it's not a DAC's fault and just a powerline noise picked by your interconnects. Connecting your SE amp to May's balanced output with transformers like this Ampsandsound box will most likely help. You can also try to use shielded interconnects, this might help too. Separating the DAC further from its PSU seems to be most logical way, because you already tried it and it worked.

Mar 27, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #820 of 1,241
Most likely it's not a DAC's fault and just a powerline noise picked by your interconnects. Connecting your SE amp to May's balanced output with transformers like this Ampsandsound box will most likely help. You can also try to use shielded interconnects, this might help too. Separating the DAC further from its PSU seems to be most logical way, because you already tried it and it worked.
Having been in audio eq since the 90s I honestly have almost never found a situation where my equipment is so sensitive that its picking up signals in that manner.

The balanced output does not seem to exhibit the same amount of noise but does that mean the SE connection is not useful?

I have a variety of interconnects from Audio quest / Blue Jeans / Zu Audio etc but the sound is still definately there.

I would separate but , given that most people here do not have to do that I am wondering if I have some defect in my unit and instead I should get it fixed or just get another comparable DAC like the terminator plus.

I have previously used the yggdrasil in the same position with 0 noise/sound on the floor. so I know that its not really the quality of my wires / home / running pattern.

And in reply to to George, I am talking to Tim, he is being helpful. I'm just disappointed currently.

Mar 27, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #821 of 1,241

@wilpower what interconnects are you using and how long are they. I’ve had issues in the past when using tube amps both otl and transformers. I found I needed to shorten my interconnects and use better quality shielded ones. This was with a Woo Amps and a Holo DAC.

I could say that the yggy might not be as a transparent as the May but I’m not scientifically sure on that, just audibly.

Edit:
I see we replied at same time and you listed your interconnects, how long are your SE interconnects and what digital cable and length are you using?

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #822 of 1,241
@wilpower what interconnects are you using and how long are they. I’ve had issues in the past when using tube amps both otl and transformers. I found I needed to shorten my interconnects and use better quality shielded ones. This was with a Woo Amp and a Holo DAC.

Hi I'm currently using BlueJeans interconnects. I actually own alot more expensive interconnects from Audio quest (Yukon, Carbon), Zu Audio, and other brands but over the years and reading on the Audioscience forums have made me default towards using Bluejeans interconnects becasue I feel that they are well made at least physically. Dont get me wrong in that I do not value them, I have 2k cables from plussound from my amp to my headphnones, but I feel this is more esoteric/esthetic than actual performance gain.

My interconnects are around 6 feet and at max 9 feet so they are not that long.

Mar 27, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #823 of 1,241
Hi I'm currently using BlueJeans interconnects. I actually own alot more expensive interconnects from Audio quest (Yukon, Carbon), Zu Audio, and other brands but over the years and reading on the Audioscience forums have made me default towards using Bluejeans interconnects becasue I feel that they are well made at least physically. Dont get me wrong in that I do not value them, I have 2k cables from plussound from my amp to my headphnones, but I feel this is more esoteric/esthetic than actual performance gain.

My interconnects are around 6 feet and at max 9 feet so they are not that long.
I love BJC’s, have used them for decades. Absolutely great performance/value.

9’ seems long to me for SE though, is your digital interconnect that long. I ended up getting rid of the Woo Transformered amp I had because I couldn’t get the noise floor low enough and I was seriously bummed about it. With my OTL woo I was able to resolve it by just going balanced.

Mar 28, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #824 of 1,241
Having been in audio eq since the 90s I honestly have almost never found a situation where my equipment is so sensitive that its picking up signals in that manner.
All good tube amps are sensitive to things like this to some degree and you have extremely efficient headphones. It’s not a bad thing IMO. That level of efficiency and sensitivity at the same time allows your gear to play vivid and dynamic.

Apr 9, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #825 of 1,241
I had intended to buy a Bliss KTE and Spring 3 KTE. Given there is a 5-6 week wait on the Bliss KTE, potentially I could by then be able to afford the May instead. Would it make more sense to go with the May, it feels that most people who own the Spring intend to move to the May in the future. Oh look here I go down the rabbit-hole again..!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back