Holo Audio May DAC Speculation
Jan 28, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #781 of 1,289
No problem, happy to comment. If you want to discuss further, feel free to PM.
- Still very happy with May.
- No issues personally. Just be aware of the size and that it runs somewhat hot.
- Things I would consider (haven't tried but Dave):
  • Rockna Wavedream Signature Balanced
  • Bricasti m1 SE
  • Esoteric N-05XD
  • Chord Dave
  • Mola Mola Tambaqui
  • Maybe some Lampizator?
I would probably check this if I was you.

But then things that makes May kind of unique:
  • Insanely good both in sound quality AND measurements
  • Value (it's real competitors are much more expensive)
  • The combination of true NOS and support for both 1.536mHz PCM and DSD1024
    • When you chain HQPlayer into May you get something incredible
      • Especially the soundstage benefits a lotfrom upsamling to higher sample rate with HQPlayer and scaling seems to continue to the highest available rates
        • The fact that May supports the highest rates in the market (I think) and is able to actually utilize them, gives it an edge over it's competitors
      • You get state of the art filters that you can run on a powerful PC, tapping into the R&D behind CPU chips
      • You get a wide variety of filters to choose from
        • The possibility to tailor the sound to your liking and setup is super nice
          • I've noticed that I like different filters with different headphones
        • This will make you an addict
Thank you very much Rayon, very clear.
I would still prefer not to use HQPlayer - but this is just for my own convenience and ease of use.
Yet, I fully understand your comments about making the experience even better.
In the list of alternatives I see the Dave Chord, indeed a reference. I will have a look at your recommended link too.

Thanks
Your insight is highly appreciated, Rayon.
I wish you a splendid week-end.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #782 of 1,289
When you chain HQPlayer into May you get something incredible
200%!

HQP ability to allow for fully transparent EQ and OS to your preferences is so incredibly valuable. The May/HQP combo can have sensational results.

Feb 4, 2023 at 12:20 AM Post #783 of 1,289
Not having my DAC hooked up to a computer is an extremely valuable option. I do not really get the desire for all the processing. But I have not heard it, so what do I know. I have not seen mention, but does Holo have an audition period... 2 weeks?

Feb 4, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #784 of 1,289
@Davidv100 if your budget is more or less limited to May price point, you won’t find better DAC. But you have to keep it powered on for the best experience, that’s right.

If the price isn’t an issue, I’d suggest to try MolaMola Tambaqui. It’s small, power efficient, have all necessary connectivity and it is a better DAC to my ears. Well...maybe not completely "better". In a way I might still prefer May, but MolaMola’s sound has its upsides, like the depth of the stage and the wonderful tone of the treble. Tambaqui have something in common with Chord DAVE in sense of good soundstage and overall refinement, but have nicer tone and doesn’t sound as “clinical” as Chord. I sold my DAVE after listening to Holo May and while I haven’t yet decided if I want to switch from Holo to MolaMola I’d recommend Tambaqui over DAVE for sure.

As for HQ Player, it’s not as mandatory, as it might seem from forum posts. There is so much HQP discussion on the forum because most of the people here use computers as their main source, plus that software has a lot of settings that can be changed. I tried HQP and didn't like the effect at all. I listen to May in NOS mode without any additional processing, often it's just a CD out of a CD transport. Positive reviews of Holo May in Stereophile and Twittering Machines are also written about listening without external upsampling.

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #785 of 1,289
So now, once again, I'm doing what I said I was done with... Chasing DACs. I have a Pontus 2+Mercury Streamer using I2S. I don't think I'm lacking, but the rest of my chain can do better. This is really for 2ch. I have chased resolution, but at the end of the day, that is not what moves me. It has to be engaging. Stir emotion. My amp and speakers both do (with Pontus), is the May the next step?

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #786 of 1,289
I have chased resolution, but at the end of the day, that is not what moves me. It has to be engaging. Stir emotion. My amp and speakers both do (with Pontus), is the May the next step?
Haven’t heard Pontus, but May is more “engaging” than “audiophile” to me. It still has resolution, imaging and so on, but my favorite part is that its sound feels dynamic and vivid in comparison to DACs like DAVE.

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #787 of 1,289
Haven’t heard Pontus, but May is more “engaging” than “audiophile” to me. It still has resolution, imaging and so on, but my favorite part is that its sound feels dynamic and vivid in comparison to DACs like DAVE.
That is the general take I am getting from users looking at it. I have an LTA Z40+ and Dynaudio Heritage specials. It was a toss up when looking between the HS or B&W 805s. The deciding factor was the general consensus on how engaging the Dynaudios were. I have not been disappointed. My friend has 705 signatures. We have compared/loaned... He just can't stop listening to mine for that reason... They just make you stop and listen to music... And enjoy. And yes, they have all the resolution I want, but that isn't the point. So... I am looking for a DAC that will be equal in my chain... With the same attributes. An obvious candidate seems to be the May... Which is pretty much top of budget, not including selling my Pontus.

Feb 4, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #789 of 1,289
If not, save a little more...in that price class hard to beat the May. Goes well too w/ your Z40+.

Feb 4, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #790 of 1,289
That is the general take I am getting from users looking at it. I have an LTA Z40+ and Dynaudio Heritage specials. It was a toss up when looking between the HS or B&W 805s. The deciding factor was the general consensus on how engaging the Dynaudios were. I have not been disappointed. My friend has 705 signatures. We have compared/loaned... He just can't stop listening to mine for that reason... They just make you stop and listen to music... And enjoy. And yes, they have all the resolution I want, but that isn't the point. So... I am looking for a DAC that will be equal in my chain... With the same attributes. An obvious candidate seems to be the May... Which is pretty much top of budget, not including selling my Pontus.
I can tell you LTA demoed their gear (LTA Z40+) with LampizatOr. The pair sounded fantastic the last time I heard it. I have also heard May in a couple of systems and I didn’t think it was anything special. May was not fed by a computer running external upsampler just to be clear.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #791 of 1,289
I can tell you LTA demoed their gear (LTA Z40+) with LampizatOr. The pair sounded fantastic the last time I heard it. I have also heard May in a couple of systems and I didn’t think it was anything special. May was not fed by a computer running external upsampler just to be clear.
They are partial to Lampi. They also show with Holo and recommend for those not wanting to do tubes... Which is where I'm kinda at. Because I know I'm on another obsession with more tubes blah blah blah. I finally got what I want with Z40 and bought spares. So done.

The Amber 4 uses small signal tubes. Not sure which. It would be great if there was overlap. Don't get me wrong, it's tempting. They are not completely out.

Feb 4, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #794 of 1,289
Feb 4, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #795 of 1,289
They've used May and Pontus too. Personally Pontus didn't impress me with my LTA MZ3 so is sold and I am looking for a better option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back