Holo Audio May DAC Speculation
May 16, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #482 of 1,269
It is important to keep DAC and PS units separate. Do not stack them. Both the sound and DAC unit cooling will benefit.

The sound-absorbing/sound isolation measures are not needed and not desired. The original feet work really well; the whole DAC has been tuned to perfection in the factory to work & sound great with its original feet.

The latest May models come with an "upgraded" USB module; one that does not have an XMOS chip but uses an additional combination of ICs to provide the same functionality. What they did is as follows:

XMOS IC = {ALTERA max II + ALTERA max II + ARM Cortex processor + USB Host IC}

Well, whoever worked with digital audio PCB design will know why 4 switching IC's, on such a limited ground-fill area, will sound vastly inferior to only one IC.

... as such, to me (extensive A/B comparison of old vs. new USB module + fair knowledge & experience in digital and analog electronics) the new USB module sounds vastly inferior to the original one. It ruins May DAC potential (which is unprecedented at the moment in the whole digital audio reproduction industry, worldwide).

If you can still get the old USB module - get it! May will sound extended, natural, specious... beautiful. The new module makes the sound cold, 2 dimensional, unnatural and fatiguing... same as the plethora of cheap 1000 - 2000 bucks DACs that get rave reviews on audio science review website, for example.

Even better, get both modules; DO NOT return the original module, and then do A/B for yourself....
What are the "latest May models"? Since when?

May 17, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #485 of 1,269
It is important to keep DAC and PS units separate. Do not stack them. Both the sound and DAC unit cooling will benefit.

The sound-absorbing/sound isolation measures are not needed and not desired. The original feet work really well; the whole DAC has been tuned to perfection in the factory to work & sound great with its original feet.

The latest May models come with an "upgraded" USB module; one that does not have an XMOS chip but uses an additional combination of ICs to provide the same functionality. What they did is as follows:

XMOS IC = {ALTERA max II + ALTERA max II + ARM Cortex processor + USB Host IC}

Well, whoever worked with digital audio PCB design will know why 4 switching IC's, on such a limited ground-fill area, will sound vastly inferior to only one IC.

... as such, to me (extensive A/B comparison of old vs. new USB module + fair knowledge & experience in digital and analog electronics) the new USB module sounds vastly inferior to the original one. It ruins May DAC potential (which is unprecedented at the moment in the whole digital audio reproduction industry, worldwide).

If you can still get the old USB module - get it! May will sound extended, natural, specious... beautiful. The new module makes the sound cold, 2 dimensional, unnatural and fatiguing... same as the plethora of cheap 1000 - 2000 bucks DACs that get rave reviews on audio science review website, for example.

Even better, get both modules; DO NOT return the original module, and then do A/B for yourself....

I have both the old XMOS usb module and the newer ARM usb module, and my impression is that their sound has very little difference and perhaps the newer module has very slightly better overall detail across the FR (edit: not sure about the difference, might test some more). Have you installed the latest Holo audio windows drivers?

If someone is interested I might be willing to sell the old module.

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #488 of 1,269
Just received a text today that mine is being delivered Tuesday. Can wait to get it.

May 20, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #489 of 1,269
For the Holo May, would it make sense to turn off the "PLL" if we are planning to use a reclocker from our streamer or would the PLL and the reclocker be completely separate things?

I am under assumption (correct me if I am wrong) that if using a reclocker, the reclocker would use its own clock so that the PLL would potentially not be needed on the Holo May to be turned on.

Hope someone can chime in!

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #491 of 1,269
Anyone compare the May to a Ferrum Erco? Both have independent power supplies, different approaches, similar-ish costs?

It's a couple thousand dollars cheaper (To KTE version) and to me doesn't look like it's in the same class as the Holo May but I have never heard it. I know weight isn't an indicator of sound quality but it's remarkable that the Ferrum Erco with external power supply is 10 Lbs and the Holo May is 40 Lbs.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #492 of 1,269
Anyone compare the May to a Ferrum Erco? Both have independent power supplies, different approaches, similar-ish costs?
There are a few ways to compare 2 products.

1. Measurements (Audiosciencereview... there are DAC's that measure superbly well for around 1000 bucks; there are people who buy them purely based on these measurements.
2. A/B audition (a lot will depend on the rest of the actual system and auditors' personal preferences)
3. Carefully checking the PCBs and comparing, if you know electronics, what's going on inside, what is required and what constitutes outstanding digital audio reproduction design. It is also possible to figure out if the designer, apart from implementing something phenomenal, has also spent time to fine-tune the end result by ear.

I look at 1, try really hard to do 2 as well, but I definitely place the highest importance to 3 (because I can, and because I've been playing with High-End HiFi for the past 3-4 decades).

May is a product of outstanding engineering. A lot of fine-tuning whet into that DAC as well. It is the only DAC that has really great PCM R-2R conversion, AND (on the underside of those DAC modules) - a great DSD DAC as well.

Its supply rails' regulation to each IC, each stage (heck, each Vcc pin on each of those ICs), is pure art. Low voltage references, followed by a series' pass transsistors).

Its analog stage runs class A and dissipates 50-60W of heat.

Its PLL parts (low phase noise xtal oscillators) are one of the best that can be sourced at the moment (staying on the sane side of cost). Its PLL implementation is the best in the industry at the moment,

Its USB module will process everything.... PCM up to 1.536MHz / DSD up to 1024. Of course, the DAC modules will handle these frequencies as well.

But, most of all and what swayed me to buy May, was the fact that the designer used fine-tuning of parts combinations, and a lot of fine-tuning of the PCB tracks' layout/geometry/lengths (clearly visible on both, the PCM and DSD side of DAC modules), to get a beautiful sound and great measurements results.

Usually, these boutique components do not measure that well... apart from May which measures exceptionally well.

Also, you either get a DAC that does PCM well, or DSD well, or NOS well.

For 8-9-10k, May is unbelievable DAC.

Of course, there are DACs that have everything that May has and then some extras, cost 10x more.... but do not sound that much better, or not better at all if you like NOS and R-2R architecture.

I can tell you that May will do NOS exceptionally well, but will accept anything that HQPlayer can spit out, being PCM or DSD (if your PC is up to it) - for those who may think that overprocessing is the path to digital audio nirvana...

Then I looked at the insides of that other DAC you mentioned (and found its PS unit as well)... and thought to myself... move along, nothing to see here.

Of course, there are DACs that have everything that May has and then some... but cost 10x more. Do they sound better? Probably, if the status is important.

However, I have to see a DAC that will do NOS better and have better R-2R implementation.

For a sane price of 6-7k, May is an unbelievable product.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #493 of 1,269
I really want to hear some impresions May KTE vs Pasithea, Pasithea is only DAC that can beat May in this price range.

May 24, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #494 of 1,269
Just received my new DAC today. Any tips on setting this up? I still need to figure out how to open the remote for battery replacements :). I was hoping to isolate my Power supply and DAC but the power cable between them just wasn't long enough to do that on my desk without a major change. Right now, I'm streaming Tidal and Qobuz from my desktop computer. Any opinions on how much better a dedicated streamer would sound? Interested in opinions from those who own this DAC and who actually tried both? I was considering the Aurender N20. All my cables are new with the exception of my USB cable. It's just a standard computer-based cable. Still looking for a replacement.

May 24, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #495 of 1,269
Headphone system.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back