Holo Audio May DAC Speculation
Apr 12, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #1,201 of 1,269
Definitely not my experience and that of many others. But if that’s good enough for you in your setup, great.

@GoldenSound @incredulousity @SpeleoFool @DJJEZ
Hard to say since I never turn mine off. :wink:

Since resistance changes with temperature, and I believe May is doing some kind of correction to the ladder to reach the accuracy levels it hits, I do believe it's necessary to let it warm up / hit equilibrium to settle into "final form" sound. I don't have much of an opinion on how long that might take, but that has led me to just leave May powered on indefinitely so it's always good to go.

Apr 12, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #1,203 of 1,269
Apr 12, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #1,204 of 1,269
Just let music play through it. Amp doesn't have to be on
Though be aware some amps load the inputs when off, so playing into a turned off amp may stress the DAC output stage.

If wanting to run the DAC without playing anything best bet would be to unplug the output cables just in case

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #1,205 of 1,269
Hard to say since I never turn mine off. :wink:

Since resistance changes with temperature, and I believe May is doing some kind of correction to the ladder to reach the accuracy levels it hits, I do believe it's necessary to let it warm up / hit equilibrium to settle into "final form" sound. I don't have much of an opinion on how long that might take, but that has led me to just leave May powered on indefinitely so it's always good to go.
Someone has to be the uncool kid to ask, but what does that do to your electric bill?

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #1,206 of 1,269
Someone has to be the uncool kid to ask, but what does that do to your electric bill?
I keep mine on 24/7 as well. Won't add much to the bill imo

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #1,207 of 1,269
On that subject how do you guys burn it in. Just leaving it on is enough yes ?
I agree with @DJJEZ--just play music, and reserve judgment for maybe 1-200 hours.

My personal attitude is that it isn't worth any anxiety or second-guessing about burn-in other than to be aware that it may be a thing and after a period of time it no longer matters whether it was ever real. I enjoy listening for changes in various pieces of my chain for the sake of satisfying my own curiosity, but I don't go to any trouble to burn things in deliberately.

R2R DACs and tube amps have "warm-up" that's not the same thing, other than I recognize patterns of the sound settling over time. However, with R2R and tubes it's every time and not just a one-time break-in (like with transducers, for example, where changes might be attributed to physical mechanical systems). For example, I've found my Hiby RS8 tends to re-settle every time I fire it up, and it takes a while to hit peak performance, but I never think too hard about it. It's more like I have noticed on several occasions, "wow, this sounds really good right now" and then realize I've been listening for a while and stuff has probably warmed up / settled.

Anyway, the simple answer is "let it do its thing and enjoy the ride." In time I get a sense of how things work and adjust expectations.

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #1,208 of 1,269
Makes me popular with the utility company, probably. :wink:

But, seriously, whatever impact May has on my power usage is a tiny fraction of air conditioning in Arizona. On the flip side, I pay next to nothing for heating / gas. Either way it's all factored into the operating costs of "living comfortably."

Apr 12, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #1,209 of 1,269
I keep mine on 24/7 as well. Won't add much to the bill imo
You will have spent £5500 on a DAC. Who cares about the electric bill?

Apr 12, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #1,210 of 1,269
How do you like PGGB out of curiosity?
My friend @Hiyono is trialing it and and sent me the upscaled files. The files are large but that depends on how high res you want. It does make a notable difference listening to these vs regular flac 16bit/44 khz. The trade off is the size of the file is like almost 1 GB for a 20 bit/768 khz. It’s nice that the May can play these high res files, my Wavedream for example cannot play 768 kHz

Apr 12, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #1,211 of 1,269
Cross post from Bliss thread. Thought you might be interested:

I just received a notification from another member about the track “Layla arranged for guitar by Marcin” being played allot at AXPONA. Found it on Apple Music and powered up my Holo May and Bliss using my Susvara.

Without any warmup it sounds terrific. The bass, the details and sound of the arrangement are terrific. Check it out if you can. Fabulous finger work.

Apr 13, 2024 at 3:17 AM Post #1,212 of 1,269
You will have spent £5500 on a DAC. Who cares about the electric bill?
Social pressure from all my vegetarian, non-flying, climate conscious friends 😂

Apr 16, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #1,215 of 1,269
Just popped in Quantum Science Audio yellow fuse in my May L2. Fantastic upgrade.

PXL_20240416_144808918.jpg

Improved soundstage width and depth, improved imaging and separation as well as overall resolution. Bass increase too. Not burned in yet, but very happy with this so far. Guy at Futureshop in UK recommended it as SR Purple fuses were unavailable. They did it for the same price. Perfectly happy with money > performance improvement here.

First time replacing a fuse. Can't believe six months ago what I would have made of such things, but the improvement is quite wonderful :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back