Holo Audio Cyan 2 DAC
Apr 4, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #556 of 806
As @TheRealDz with Gustard R26, i am also finding the soekris 2541 to sound a little bit thin and i'm considering replacing it with Cyan 2. Any comments on Cyan 2 regarding the thinness/body & texture are very welcome.
Cyan 2 to me is thicker and fuller than Gustard or Soekris DACs, but not as full and thick as Musician/Denafrips. In exchange Cyan 2 is more detailed and clearer than Pegasus or Ares for example.

Apr 4, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #557 of 806
Cyan 2 to me is thicker and fuller than Gustard or Soekris DACs, but not as full and thick as Musician/Denafrips. In exchange Cyan 2 is more detailed and clearer than Pegasus or Ares for example.
In your use, have you found the Cyan 2 to be lacking of body in any situation? This is of course a preference that varies, but has the Cyan 2 been satisfactory for you in this sense? How noticeable the change in thickness and fullness would be jumping from soekris to Cyan?

I've also considered Denafrips, but i've heard that they have some lag/audio delay that doesn't work with movies/games that well. This was related to Ares if i remember correctly. And then there's the issue with connecting both XLR and RCA at the same time. I don't know if the 12th edition has fixed these issues or not.

Apr 4, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #558 of 806
In your use, have you found the Cyan 2 to be lacking of body in any situation? This is of course a preference that varies, but has the Cyan 2 been satisfactory for you in this sense? How noticeable the change in thickness and fullness would be jumping from soekris to Cyan?

I've also considered Denafrips, but i've heard that they have some lag/audio delay that doesn't work with movies/games that well. This was related to Ares if i remember correctly. And then there's the issue with connecting both XLR and RCA at the same time. I don't know if the 12th edition has fixed these issues or not.
To me the Cyan 2 has satisfactory body. I would say in this regard Gustard -> Soekris -> Cyan 2 -> Musician/Denafrips would be the order, but other technicalities vastly differ between them, for example Gustard being more detailed than Musician in a similar price range.
As you say, it is personal taste and also the amplifier plays a role, but for me personally the Cyan 2 has a perfect balance between texture/body and clarity/details.
The choice should also depend on someone's most preferred music genres. With vocal centric music only perhaps I would prefer the thickest Musician/Denafrips sound, but I listen to many different genres and I find the Cyan 2 a better all-rounder DAC that can handle EDM as well as vocals. Bass control on the Cyan 2 is a stand out feature in its price range.

Apr 4, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #559 of 806
To me the Cyan 2 has satisfactory body. I would say in this regard Gustard -> Soekris -> Cyan 2 -> Musician/Denafrips would be the order, but other technicalities vastly differ between them, for example Gustard being more detailed than Musician in a similar price range.
As you say, it is personal taste and also the amplifier plays a role, but for me personally the Cyan 2 has a perfect balance between texture/body and clarity/details.
The choice should also depend on someone's most preferred music genres. With vocal centric music only perhaps I would prefer the thickest Musician/Denafrips sound, but I listen to many different genres and I find the Cyan 2 a better all-rounder DAC that can handle EDM as well as vocals. Bass control on the Cyan 2 is a stand out feature in its price range.
Thank you for the comparisons! :beerchug:

Apr 5, 2024 at 6:55 AM Post #560 of 806
I appreciate the comparison, as I currently have the Pegagus. For clarity, are you making the comparison to the Pegasus in NOS mode? As time went on, and with a speaker change I found that I can't listen to the Pegasus in OS mode anymore, the timing of the sounds came off as artificial. That said, having it in NOS gives it a thick presentation that smears details and micro-dynamics.

Apr 5, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #561 of 806
I appreciate the comparison, as I currently have the Pegagus. For clarity, are you making the comparison to the Pegasus in NOS mode? As time went on, and with a speaker change I found that I can't listen to the Pegasus in OS mode anymore, the timing of the sounds came off as artificial. That said, having it in NOS gives it a thick presentation that smears details and micro-dynamics.
The difference between NOS and non-NOS is probably a lot more subtle on headphones. At least to me it is relatively small. I tend to use NOS though on the Pegasus.

Apr 6, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #562 of 806
Bass rendering on the Cyan 2 is outstanding. Extension, definition, clarity, punch are all there. Exceeding expectations for its price range. Sure, space and airiness, detail retrieval can improve further with multi thousand-dollar DACs but the value the C2 offers all in all is more than sweet... :)

Apr 8, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #563 of 806
Anyone use the Cyan 2 with a Violectric amp (e.g. 550 or 281) yet?

Apr 8, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #564 of 806
Bass rendering on the Cyan 2 is outstanding. Extension, definition, clarity, punch are all there. Exceeding expectations for its price range. Sure, space and airiness, detail retrieval can improve further with multi thousand-dollar DACs but the value the C2 offers all in all is more than sweet... :)
What would be the next step up from the Cyan 2 imho?

Apr 9, 2024 at 2:15 AM Post #565 of 806
I would probably go with higher-end Holo or Rockna DACs. Or perhaps the TOTL offering from Denafrips/Musician. These are all significantly more expensive, but imho this is the next level in DACs to experience meaningful improvements (more clarity, detail, spaciousness). The Cyan 2 represents excellent sound/value for the price, perhaps the sweet spot in performance for many.
I would also like to add, that after two weeks of use the sound has opened up a bit. It is a really enjoyable DAC.

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #566 of 806
Ferrum Wandla might be worth a look as well. I've had a Spring 3 KTE in the past and preferred the Wandla in direct comparison for my use case and preference. I've sold the Spring 3 since but gonna receive a Cyan 2 in a few days to be used in my speaker setup. I'll also do a comparison between Cyan 2 and Wandla in my headphone setup once Cyan 2 burned in for some time. My Zähl HM1 already proved very useful for dac comparisons in the past.

Apr 9, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #569 of 806
Sounds great! If your time allows would you compare the Cyan 2 + Hqplayer vs Wandla? I have the cyan 2+hqplayer set up but no option to test wandla.
Yes, gonna compare Cyan 2 + HQPlayer vs Wandla as well.

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #570 of 806
I've had a Spring 3 KTE in the past and preferred the Wandla in direct comparison for my use case and preference.

Funny, I read your post in the Wandla thread, so I decided against a Spring 3 and got the Wandla instead.
I must honestly say that the build quality of the devices disappointed me, it is absolutely NOT comparable to Holo Audio, and not worth the money!
Unfortunately, the sound of the device didn't convince me either, but that's the nice thing about our hobby, everyone has their own taste :)

IMG_2190.JPG

When I sent the Wandla back, I ordered the Cyan2, and it convinced me so much that I ordered the Spring 3 KTE with Holo Red - now I'm saving up for the Holo Audio BLISS, and then I'm done :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back