Holo Audio Cyan 2 DAC
Apr 24, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #707 of 806
A generic question regarding this DAC (and maybe all Holo DAC's for that matter): is the Cyan less appealing/"useful" to users who are PCM-only/do not use things like HQPlayer? Or is that an overly broad generalization?
That's a broad generalization. :)
Most Cyan 2 buyers are not even on Head-Fi and probably don't even know what HQ player is. Yet they are happy.

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #708 of 806
That's a broad generalization. :)
Most Cyan 2 buyers are not even on Head-Fi and probably don't even know what HQ player is. Yet they are happy.
You don’t need to be on Head-Fi to have access to hqplayer. There are probably a few hundred hqplayer related threads on audiophilestyle forum, roon hqplayer section of the forum……

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #709 of 806
You don’t need to be on Head-Fi to have access to hqplayer. There are probably a few hundred hqplayer related threads on audiophilestyle forum, roon hqplayer section of the forum……
I know that. Yet I doubt more than 5% of Cyan 2 customers use HQ player.

Apr 24, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #712 of 806
A generic question regarding this DAC (and maybe all Holo DAC's for that matter): is the Cyan less appealing/"useful" to users who are PCM-only/do not use things like HQPlayer? Or is that an overly broad generalization?
I use the Cyan2 almost exclusively for PCM with modest upsampling to 176.4 kHz. Sounds great and beats any other DACs I have on hand. I have dabbled a bit with DSD using a Shanling ET3 CD Transport, this can upsample to 768 kHz PCM or even to DSD512 outputting over I2S. So even a basic CD or a ripped FLAC file can be upsampled in the ET3 at will and played directly into the Cyan2. Incidentally a standard HDMI cable works fine for this, no problem with incompatible pinouts. So if you don't want to go down the apparently daunting HQPlayer route, you can use a device like this to try out different amounts of upsampling or to compare PCM to DSD. Currently I seem to prefer the upsampled PCM sound, the DSD is quite strange to me. Of course the HQPlayer route is much more comprehensive and tunable.

Apr 24, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #713 of 806
I use the Cyan2 almost exclusively for PCM with modest upsampling to 176.4 kHz. Sounds great and beats any other DACs I have on hand. I have dabbled a bit with DSD using a Shanling ET3 CD Transport, this can upsample to 768 kHz PCM or even to DSD512 outputting over I2S. So even a basic CD or a ripped FLAC file can be upsampled in the ET3 at will and played directly into the Cyan2. Incidentally a standard HDMI cable works fine for this, no problem with incompatible pinouts. So if you don't want to go down the apparently daunting HQPlayer route, you can use a device like this to try out different amounts of upsampling or to compare PCM to DSD. Currently I seem to prefer the upsampled PCM sound, the DSD is quite strange to me. Of course the HQPlayer route is much more comprehensive and tunable.
I can’t agree re Hqplayer being daunting to be honest. The system can be set up in a few clicks in less than 5-10 minutes, and something like a $80 raspberry pi 5 can run it for dsd256 and pcm 1536, it even have qobuz built in so you don’t even need a streamer

Apr 24, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #714 of 806
I can’t agree re Hqplayer being daunting to be honest. The system can be set up in a few clicks in less than 5-10 minutes, and something like a $80 raspberry pi 5 can run it for dsd256 and pcm 1536, it even have qobuz built in so you don’t even need a streamer

he was agreeing with you . . . he said apparently daunting (i.e. he meant some may find it daunting).

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #716 of 806
I know that. Yet I doubt more than 5% of Cyan 2 customers use HQ player.
We're a niche within niche indeed, but imho it's worth it even tho I'm running a not so high end system, I can hear the difference and I not considere my self to be a really well versed audiophile.

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #717 of 806
We're a niche within niche indeed, but imho it's worth it even tho I'm running a not so high end system, I can hear the difference and I not considere my self to be a really well versed audiophile.
There are a number of upgrades I've done where I have not heard the changes or improvements others have claimed, but even with a DAC that only hits 192khz and no dsd, I can hear an improvement with hqplayer. It's still subtle but there. Very curious to hear what a DAC like the Cyan can do with it.

Apr 25, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #718 of 806
I'm curious if there will be a partner amplifier for the Cyan 2 DAC in the works for Holo sometime in the future? I would be alot more keen to have a full system.

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #720 of 806
I'm curious if there will be a partner amplifier for the Cyan 2 DAC in the works for Holo sometime in the future? I would be alot more keen to have a full system.
Hey Bunn3y!

In December I have asked Tim at Kitsune. He told me there was no plans for an Azure 2 or other equivalent compact Holo Audio amplifier planned, unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back