Holo Audio Cyan 2 DAC
Apr 22, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #691 of 806
I am confused. Can the Red be run as BOTH a streamer and a DDC outputting over I2S to a Cyan 2 at the same time?

Or do you have to choose between streamer mode and DDC mode?

Apr 22, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #693 of 806
With the Spring and May, the i2s implementation has superior pll locking that makes its performance very comparable with the usb. Not with the cyan 2, you got to cut cost somewhere
The jitter measurements on Cyan 2 USB are exceptional. Is the Spring/May better? Sure, but it's a 1-2% difference.

Apr 23, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #695 of 806
From time to time you read something regarding a "longer" warm-up phase for R2R DACs. (Some people even running it 24/7 for this reason). Is that a thing with the Cyan?
In my experience R2R DACs, tube and class-A amps all benefit from warm up, basically reaching operational temperature. The temperature should be consistent in order to provide optimum performance. During warm up the temperature is changing which is not ideal. Once the unit has warmed up, the temperature will more or less stay the same. About half an hour is enough for most devices, some might require a little less time, some a little more. R2R DACs may require even more time, a few hours. It does not hurt to leave them on 24/7 as their operational temperature is low as opposed to tube or class-A amps. Cyan 2 is no exception.
It is not like they don't sound good 5 minutes after switching on, but they do sound even better after some warm up time.

Apr 23, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #698 of 806
From time to time you read something regarding a "longer" warm-up phase for R2R DACs. (Some people even running it 24/7 for this reason). Is that a thing with the Cyan?
Just to add some context to what was already said, R2R works by using a circuit of a bunch of resistors that need to be very precise. Resistors change their resistance as temperature changes, thus temperature affects the sound.

Presumably manufacturers design around what the resistance is at operating temp, not cold. So it follows it should sound best/optimal when warmed up fully.
It still sounds great cold though, it's not like it's totally different.

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #700 of 806
Oh man, this might be a dealbreaker for this DAC with me then. I love how with my Gungnir I can have all outputs connected at once with no degradation of the signal. Admittedly, the RCA isn’t nearly as good as the XLR from the Gumby anyway, but it’s still super convenient.
I'm using both XLR and RCA output at the same time. One is going into SS (XLR) amp and second connection is plugged into tube amp (RCA). I never had any issues regarding ground loop - event at full volume both amps are dead quiet.
Of course ground loops are very "environment" dependent, so YMMV

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #701 of 806
Did they send it to you by SF-Express? In my case it's been 10 days since pickup and it's still in transit :/
Yes SF-Express. They used UPS Express as a carrier. I got UPS tracking about 3 days after getting the SF-Express tracking. Maybe shoot Wildism a message and ask what the hold up might be. 10 days seems quite long.

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #703 of 806
A generic question regarding this DAC (and maybe all Holo DAC's for that matter): is the Cyan less appealing/"useful" to users who are PCM-only/do not use things like HQPlayer? Or is that an overly broad generalization?

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #704 of 806
A generic question regarding this DAC (and maybe all Holo DAC's for that matter): is the Cyan less appealing/"useful" to users who are PCM-only/do not use things like HQPlayer? Or is that an overly broad generalization?
I've been using it for both. I haven't experimented with too much DSD upsampling before getting the Cyan 2. But it works great for both, and you can certainly tell the difference when using HQPlayer but I'm not sure I'd say one is outright "better" per se. 95% of my listening is done through PCM though, since I usually play games and listen!

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #705 of 806
It really depends on who you are talking to. I know many people who uses Holo Dacs just plain NOS, so indeed Hqplayer users are niche.

I highly doubt Steve Huff even know what Hqplayer is...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back