Holo Audio Bliss
Jan 20, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #3,136 of 3,298
After using the Bliss exclusively for the last 4 months with the Utopia '22, I've recently went back and had a listen to my HXXX series AMP-23R which was packed away and have concluded I like it better. The mid-range is better, treble is a tad darker but still crisp (which I love), bass hits harder, it has more body and tonal richness, just as transparent but sound stage is a little bit smaller than the Bliss. Ultimately, I have to sell one, and if there is anyone in Australia interested in a Bliss: https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/holo-audio-bliss-kte.61437/

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 4:15 AM Post #3,137 of 3,298
I don't know how Bliss sound but when i compare 23r to my Niimbus i still like it more. I don't really like that "tube" timbre of 23R. It was more "tubey" than WA23/33.

Jan 21, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #3,138 of 3,298
Very different DACs feeding the Enleum... Tambaqui vs Morpheus I suppose give different results... better the former

Jan 21, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #3,139 of 3,298
I don't know how Bliss sound but when i compare 23r to my Niimbus i still like it more. I don't really like that "tube" timbre of 23R. It was more "tubey" than WA23/33.

Not sure how you managed to get the 23R sound "tubey", let alone tubier than an actual tube amp. I've hear the Utopia on the WA23 - I can sense the tube characteristics of the sound though it sounds more solid state than any other tube amp. The 23R on my end doesn't sound tubey at all. Body and tonal richness yes, tubey, no.

My perception of the Bliss vs 23R is almost exactly as "Passion for Sound" put it when comparing the Zahl HM1 to the 23R.

Jan 21, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #3,140 of 3,298
It all depends on DAC you pair the amp with. I guess passion for sound uses Chord TT2 and you would obviously enjoy slightly warmer and euphonic amp with slightly darker treble with it.

Jan 21, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #3,141 of 3,298
Not sure how you managed to get the 23R sound "tubey", let alone tubier than an actual tube amp. I've hear the Utopia on the WA23 - I can sense the tube characteristics of the sound though it sounds more solid state than any other tube amp. The 23R on my end doesn't sound tubey at all. Body and tonal richness yes, tubey, no.

My perception of the Bliss vs 23R is almost exactly as "Passion for Sound" put it when comparing the Zahl HM1 to the 23R.
I havnt heard 23r but not all tube amps are tubey and by the sound description even in 23r fourm, it is tubey side than most solid state out there. It might be your chain (dac, pc, streamer, or even cable) or how we percieve the sound differently. There is tonality change wether i stream through pc or tablet. Even when i change cable it may sound warm or transparent, depending on cable.

Jan 21, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #3,142 of 3,298
I havnt heard 23r but not all tube amps are tubey and by the sound description even in 23r fourm, it is tubey side than most solid state out there. It might be your chain (dac, pc, streamer, or even cable) or how we percieve the sound differently. There is tonality change wether i stream through pc or tablet. Even when i change cable it may sound warm or transparent, depending on cable.

For me, tonal richness is not what a traditional tubey sound is - it's the increased "bloom" and exaggerated sound stage, somewhat of an inverted U-shaped frequency response and mellowness to the sound that is what I associate Tubes with. Of course, some tube amps and tubes sound a lot more SS than others. But the 23R with the Tambaqui sounds far from that, it hits hard and is extraordinarily, startlingly, fast & effortless; even more so than the Bliss in the same chain. Pairing the AMP-23R with the Mojo 2, as it was in my old setup, saw a distinct drop in SQ.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #3,143 of 3,298
It all depends on DAC you pair the amp with. I guess passion for sound uses Chord TT2 and you would obviously enjoy slightly warmer and euphonic amp with slightly darker treble with it.
Yes, my dac is not best pair with 23R.

Jan 31, 2024 at 3:14 AM Post #3,144 of 3,298
After using the Bliss exclusively for the last 4 months with the Utopia '22, I've recently went back and had a listen to my HXXX series AMP-23R which was packed away and have concluded I like it better. The mid-range is better, treble is a tad darker but still crisp (which I love), bass hits harder, it has more body and tonal richness, just as transparent but sound stage is a little bit smaller than the Bliss. Ultimately, I have to sell one, and if there is anyone in Australia interested in a Bliss: https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/holo-audio-bliss-kte.61437/
I absolutely love the tonality of the HD650 as well, and it needs lots of clean power to get the best SQ. I was quite content with the 650 paired to a tube preamp, to Bliss, but when I heard the HD660S2, it was in a different league altogether, so you might want to audition the 660S2. I now prefer it without the tubes, directly to Bliss. It's all about synergy. To my ears, the 660S2 keeps that wonderful tonality of the 650, is less forward in vocals, so it sounds more natural, neutral. You can give it more power and it just gets better. I don't know how Senn did it, but the resolution is staggering paired with Bliss, details, textures, expanded soundstage, and amazing clean authoritative bass. I had several XLR quality cables from the 650 that I tested, but I found the SQ of the provided 4.4mm balanced stock cable is superb and best, after a proper burn in period.
Another factor I found, with the 650 as well, is that they are highly directional, so I've experimented with various placements on my head to find the sweet spot, where vocals are buttery and smooth. Then everything else falls into place. That's been my experience...

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:30 AM Post #3,145 of 3,298
I absolutely love the tonality of the HD650 as well, and it needs lots of clean power to get the best SQ. I was quite content with the 650 paired to a tube preamp, to Bliss, but when I heard the HD660S2, it was in a different league altogether, so you might want to audition the 660S2. I now prefer it without the tubes, directly to Bliss. It's all about synergy. To my ears, the 660S2 keeps that wonderful tonality of the 650, is less forward in vocals, so it sounds more natural, neutral. You can give it more power and it just gets better. I don't know how Senn did it, but the resolution is staggering paired with Bliss, details, textures, expanded soundstage, and amazing clean authoritative bass. I had several XLR quality cables from the 650 that I tested, but I found the SQ of the provided 4.4mm balanced stock cable is superb and best, after a proper burn in period.
Another factor I found, with the 650 as well, is that they are highly directional, so I've experimented with various placements on my head to find the sweet spot, where vocals are buttery and smooth. Then everything else falls into place. That's been my experience...

The 660S2 is great, but I've only got less than an hour worth of experience with it at shows, though in my demo didn't see it as being better than my 650 which has been my go-to workhorse for the past 12 years. The 650, as it is with the Utopia, I also find it to be more enjoyable out of the AMP-23R / Tambaqui as opposed to my Bliss / Tambaqui chain in several ways. Not sure how the 660S2 would fair.

Feb 2, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #3,146 of 3,298
The 660S2 is great, but I've only got less than an hour worth of experience with it at shows, though in my demo didn't see it as being better than my 650 which has been my go-to workhorse for the past 12 years. The 650, as it is with the Utopia, I also find it to be more enjoyable out of the AMP-23R / Tambaqui as opposed to my Bliss / Tambaqui chain in several ways. Not sure how the 660S2 would fair.
The 650 I was enjoying is about 16 years old I believe, still going strong, ha. They certainly have a fantastic track record... Yeah, if you've already auditioned the 660S2, sounds like you've found the sweet spot in your system. I absolutely love the 660S2 with May/Bliss. It's absolutely intoxicating, pulls me in like nothing else I've heard so far! It's not about throwing more money into the system, more about synergy of components. That can take some trial and error until you find the sweet spot. Some day I hope to audition the Tambaqui to hear that sound, and that may sway me over. For now, I'm content and have found my happy place. Sounds like you've found your happy place too. When you just get lost in the music, that's nirvana...

Enjoy the music!

Feb 2, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #3,147 of 3,298
The 650 I was enjoying is about 16 years old I believe, still going strong, ha. They certainly have a fantastic track record... Yeah, if you've already auditioned the 660S2, sounds like you've found the sweet spot in your system. I absolutely love the 660S2 with May/Bliss. It's absolutely intoxicating, pulls me in like nothing else I've heard so far! It's not about throwing more money into the system, more about synergy of components. That can take some trial and error until you find the sweet spot. Some day I hope to audition the Tambaqui to hear that sound, and that may sway me over. For now, I'm content and have found my happy place. Sounds like you've found your happy place too. When you just get lost in the music, that's nirvana...

Enjoy the music!
The 650 with ZMF suede pads and the Bliss they are no long a 3 blob headphone. You actually hear a little center left and center right.

Feb 4, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #3,148 of 3,298
Hi all. I have acquired Holo May + Bliss and am using both with Susvara. I find that most of the time I am at a gain setting of -10 on the Bliss ( still in the 70’s DB range when I measure it ) and on one particularly low level recording I have to go into the plus gain range. Is this what other Susvara owners connected to the Bliss are also experiencing?

Feb 4, 2024 at 10:21 PM Post #3,149 of 3,298
Hi all. I have acquired Holo May + Bliss and am using both with Susvara. I find that most of the time I am at a gain setting of -10 on the Bliss ( still in the 70’s DB range when I measure it ) and on one particularly low level recording I have to go into the plus gain range. Is this what other Susvara owners connected to the Bliss are also experiencing?
When I had the DCA Exspanse another hard to drive headphone (not as hard as Susvara, but pretty close) and that sounds about right. For most Flac files I was getting to -15 to -13. On DSD files -5 to -3.

Feb 5, 2024 at 12:31 AM Post #3,150 of 3,298

I’m using spring3 kte with Bliss and Susvara, but yes I’m at the exact same -10, will increase up to -4 max. Don’t have any recordings that go to + range

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back