Holo Audio Bliss
Aug 8, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #2,716 of 3,315
I drove my Susvara with an AHB2 and while it was ridiculously transparent, it simply didn't have enough meat on the bones. It lacked body and weight and I kept turning up the volume trying to get some oomph. My Bliss, in comparison, has the weight and body even at low levels.

Of course, there may be headphone amplifiers and loudspeaker amplifiers that could give someone more of what they want than the Bliss can deliver, I'm just giving my experience.
I'm using the yggdrasil og a2 as my dac. I haven't tried many dacs but I've read the yggy og a2 gives a lot of punch and oomph to the low end along with speed and precision. Maybe it is also dependent on dac and system synergy? What dac were you using? I will probably just give it a try for myself and see how it goes but I'm curius.

Aug 8, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #2,717 of 3,315
I'm using the yggdrasil og a2 as my dac. I haven't tried many dacs but I've read the yggy og a2 gives a lot of punch and oomph to the low end along with speed and precision. Maybe it is also dependent on dac and system synergy? What dac were you using? I will probably just give it a try for myself and see how it goes but I'm curius.
My DAC is a Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE.
It outputs 5.8 volts via the XLRs.
In the defense of the AHB2, I was using a passive preamplifier but I had the input voltage sensitivity of the AHB2 set to 4 volts.
I know people who said they love the AHB2 driving the Susvara were using an active preamplifier.
So, take my comment with the grain of salt.

Aug 8, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #2,718 of 3,315
I suppose it is entirely subjective on which is better. To me the bliss offered solid state detail with tube characteristics. Definitely a charming amp capable of driving all the headphones out there. Some people like super clean solid states with great separation, others like tubes. The bliss managed to sit inbetween sonically but lean closer to solid state sound and detail.

The only tube amps I've tried have been mjolnir 2, DNA Starlett, and DNA Stratus.
Also, Bliss as preamp into AHB2 monoblocks is a well-respected combination, which I hope to test someday.

Aug 8, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #2,719 of 3,315
my 2 cents fwiw
Denafrips Athena + Apollon Purifi amp
won't break the bank. Will sound great with susvara. lovely lush sound and awesome mids and low end. I miss this setup and think about it often. also sounds great with speakers.

Aug 8, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #2,720 of 3,315
I am using hqplayer+May+Bliss, and I did not find the problem of insufficient treble as you described.
But I've heard that R2R DACs might have an issue of high-frequency roll-off under NOS conditions.
Maybe this could be a potential reason?

Aug 8, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #2,721 of 3,315
I am using hqplayer+May+Bliss, and I did not find the problem of insufficient treble as you described.
But I've heard that R2R DACs might have an issue of high-frequency roll-off under NOS conditions.
Maybe this could be a potential reason?
It could be. The treble was still present and detailed. It was only really detectable with A/B testing and then after you hear it you recognize it and at that pointit becomes very clear even with casual listening. I used a db meter to set my amps to the same volume at 120hz, then I tested for the treble. I also set them to the same volume at other frequencies and A/B tested different songs subjectively. The bliss was a great amp which is why I say I might regret selling it lol. I can order a new one later on if I want to try it again. I'm hoping the AHB2 just has a little bit more clarity and dynamic range for me.

I will eventually try other dacs but I only bought the susvara new a few months ago and just bought the abyss ab 1266 phi tc so I will take time to enjoy them off the yggy and slow down on acquiring new gear.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #2,722 of 3,315
It is possible that the susvara is the problem and not the amp. I did a lot of amp chasing when I had it and eventually realized it is a soft, polite headphone relative to certain other TOTL offerings.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #2,723 of 3,315
This is indeed my experience as well. I prefer Bliss over one ahb2 because of similar reasons. In order of preferences with susvara : 2 ahb2 (bridged mono) > 1 bliss (pre) + 1 ahb2 > bliss alone > 1 ahb2.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #2,724 of 3,315
It is possible that the susvara is the problem and not the amp. I did a lot of amp chasing when I had it and eventually realized it is a soft, polite headphone relative to certain other TOTL offerings.

Yep, as that was the case with me. The Utopia 22 was just more down my alley than Susvara. A much more engaging HP.

Aug 9, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #2,725 of 3,315
This is indeed my experience as well. I prefer Bliss over one ahb2 because of similar reasons. In order of preferences with susvara : 2 ahb2 (bridged mono) > 1 bliss (pre) + 1 ahb2 > bliss alone > 1 ahb2.
This makes sense. Typically dac doesn't have the ability to drive the power amp input as well as a dedicated preamp or a dac that is designed to drive power amp directly. Lacking dynamics, bass lacking punch/depth, smaller soundstage, failure to be engaging, thin sounding, etc. are typical symptoms of a passive preamp or dac not designed specifically to drive power amp directly.

Aug 13, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #2,726 of 3,315
It could be. The treble was still present and detailed. It was only really detectable with A/B testing and then after you hear it you recognize it and at that pointit becomes very clear even with casual listening. I used a db meter to set my amps to the same volume at 120hz, then I tested for the treble. I also set them to the same volume at other frequencies and A/B tested different songs subjectively. The bliss was a great amp which is why I say I might regret selling it lol. I can order a new one later on if I want to try it again. I'm hoping the AHB2 just has a little bit more clarity and dynamic range for me.

I will eventually try other dacs but I only bought the susvara new a few months ago and just bought the abyss ab 1266 phi tc so I will take time to enjoy them off the yggy and slow down on acquiring new gear.
I would also examine cabling part. for my experience. with a very well design power section of May and Bliss, I could use full silver cabling (or silver over CU) (XLR cable and power cord) to get very good detail with high end sparkle.

Yes, DAC you use will be a factor as well, as bliss is very transparent, it won't give you something that there isn't there in the first place.

Aug 13, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #2,727 of 3,315
I'm thinking of getting back into the two-channel loudspeaker thing. Has anyone tried the Bliss as a preamplifier to a speaker amplifier?

Aug 13, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #2,728 of 3,315
I'm thinking of getting back into the two-channel loudspeaker thing. Has anyone tried the Bliss as a preamplifier to a speaker amplifier?
Me loh, see my sig. Very transparent, anything I do around the system effect can be heard easily. E.g. I place ifi ac ipurifier around the power amp socket, I lost high sparkle! Out, my high returned.

Aug 13, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #2,729 of 3,315
Me loh, see my sig. Very transparent, anything I do around the system effect can be heard easily. E.g. I place ifi ac ipurifier around the power amp socket, I lost high sparkle! Out, my high returned.
Thanks

Aug 14, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #2,730 of 3,315
I tried the Bliss KTE and the Serene L1 on the same two-channel speaker setup using the Holo Spring 3 KTE as DAC.

Comparatively, the Bliss KTE sounds more treble-forward, with more excitement and a very open soundstage. Not harsh in any way but has a very high resolution. There could be slightly more bass and body but the treble sparkle is super. Perhaps the treble sparkle is for pairing with the Susvara, which has a gentler treble.

Serene L1 is smoother, more "analog" sounding, more laid back, less treble sparkle but more body. Gave my solid state system a little "tube"-like fluidity and roundness. There is a choice of XLR1 and XLR2 outputs with different impedances and sound different. It is very sensitive to power cable and system changes.

I wish I had a Serene L2 for comparison but others had said that L1 and L2 are very similar on speaker setups.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back