Holo Audio Bliss
Jun 3, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #2,386 of 3,299
May be you are new to this setup and you need some getting used to or in audiophile terms some brain burn in before you enjoy the setup throughly. It happens with many of us when we move from one chain to another.
That's a good point, and I've seen that in my experience before... I've had the other parts of the chain for quite some time, but I've been testing the Sus for almost three weeks now.

Jun 4, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #2,387 of 3,299
Thank you, great points. Everything is burned in, so that's good. I have filters on the power that provide great transparency. I've swapped every cable except for the stock XLR cable, even borrowed a tube preamp, none helped. True, it's happening in both drivers. It just occurred to me that I have another 3.5 XLR cable, copper. I just tested it, and finally I hear a difference. There's still a sharp peak, BUT it's not as glaring, may be listenable now, will test. Perhaps for my ears, a pure copper cable will be best. I think I am sensitive to treble peaks, but mostly when they are harsh.
Sounds normal; nothing wrong with your ears. I couldn't listen to any of the HEK, Sus or HE6 that I have tried without EQ. HFM responds well to EQ and sounds great once properly EQed. Stop torturing yourself and just EQ.

Jun 4, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #2,388 of 3,299
Sounds normal; nothing wrong with your ears. I couldn't listen to any of the HEK, Sus or HE6 that I have tried without EQ. HFM responds well to EQ and sounds great once properly EQed. Stop torturing yourself and just EQ.
Thanks for the suggestion. That's something I haven't tried in my audio journey. Do you have some recommendations for Windows 10 software?

Jun 4, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #2,389 of 3,299
Just to follow up... I've run out of time to test. I'm sending the Sus back to Hifiman to have them check it out. A copper cable helped but these darn S's and T's are so distracting. I'll have them listen, and if they agree there's a problem, I'll get an exchange. If they don't, then I'll get a refund and move on. Other than this sibilance I hear, the Sus has a phenomenal natural tonality.

A great thanks to everyone for your valuable input on this! Wish me luck, ha.

Jun 4, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #2,390 of 3,299
Thanks for the suggestion. That's something I haven't tried in my audio journey. Do you have some recommendations for Windows 10 software?
I have used EQ plugin from DMG with good results in the past. However over the years I have found USB is one of the worst audio interfaces. I now either EQ on the DLNA server side for network playback or use the hardware EQ built into the sound card that connects to dac via toslink or use hardware EQ on the dac.

Jun 5, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #2,391 of 3,299
Obi-Wans, I need your help. I'm listening to an open-box Susvara (using the stock XLR cable) on a May KTE/XLR/Bliss KTE chain. On Sus, there's a certain frequency that has a striking sibilance. I hear it in the S's with certain female and male vocals as well. On Tidal or Qobuz (using May ASIO drivers), two clear examples of this are:

- A Poem For Byzantium, from the Delerium "Poem" album, especially towards the end of the song
- Crazy, from Seal's first album "Seal", a bit in the beginning lyrics, but occasionally throughout as well

I'm unsure if this open-box Sus has a driver problem, or if this is just an inherent spike in Sus that I'm sensitive to... I've swapped cables, amps, and dacs, and the problem has persisted. It's not an issue listening to an HD650, but of course it doesn't have the same resolution.

If you have Sus, ideally with the same chain, would you kindly listen to these cuts and let me know what you think? Please PM me if not appropriate within this thread. I've just seen quite a few Bliss owners with Sus here, so I thought I'd give them a try...

Thank you!

all the best man. hope you can get it sorted out. anyways just wanted to say thanks for mentioning that Delerium album. it's really quite enjoyable with the Utopia 22.

Jun 6, 2023 at 1:57 AM Post #2,392 of 3,299
all the best man. hope you can get it sorted out. anyways just wanted to say thanks for mentioning that Delerium album. it's really quite enjoyable with the Utopia 22.
Glad you enjoyed! Delerium is good stuff, love their layering and vocals. Perhaps my favorite cut of theirs was on the original Poem CD, but then later it mysteriously got removed and placed on a secondary album, called "Poem (Bonus Track Version)". Go figure... The cut is called "Inner Sanctum". Check it out...

Thanks for the good wishes, all a part of the audio journey... :)

Jun 7, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #2,393 of 3,299
Its been one month with the Bliss KTE and Spring 3 KTE and I think I need some help.

A) During these years, so far the bests combinations I experienced have been:
- Mid range: BF2 OG > Jot2 > Edition XS
- High range: Spring 3 KTE > Euforia AE > Atrium Open

B) Now, the following chain: Spring 3 KTE > Bliss KTE > Caldera/Atrium Open, I find I miss something but dont know what. Is like some spices are missing. Dont know if Holo is in general smooth and combining the Spring and Bliss, specially with Caldera is making the chain too relaxed and neutral and need something a bit more aggressive, but not too much and at the same time warm?

Based on point A+B, its difficult to know what I am missing, because there are combination of planars/dynamics and warm/bright HP's. I have a Susvara and Cayin HA-300 on the way. Definitely is something I need to try... the planars with tubes. I think after that I could decide what are my real preferences, but maybe someone can give tips. In my opinion too much Holo in a chain is not being of my tastes.

Jun 7, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #2,394 of 3,299
Based on point A+B, its difficult to know what I am missing, because there are combination of planars/dynamics and warm/bright HP's. I have a Susvara and Cayin HA-300 on the way. Definitely is something I need to try... the planars with tubes. I think after that I could decide what are my real preferences, but maybe someone can give tips. In my opinion too much Holo in a chain is not being of my tastes.
Have you tried HQplayer? Holo dacs on NOS are pretty relaxed, feeding them externally upsampled PCM or DSD tightens things up considerably in my experience.

Jun 7, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #2,395 of 3,299
Have you tried HQplayer? Holo dacs on NOS are pretty relaxed, feeding them externally upsampled PCM or DSD tightens things up considerably in my experience.
I didnt have the chance to go into HQplayer territory yet, I have been playing always streaming in Qobuz, so its something to try. Is there some explanation why is being of my taste the Spring 3 when using with the Euforia and Atrium?

Jun 7, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #2,396 of 3,299
Its been one month with the Bliss KTE and Spring 3 KTE and I think I need some help.

A) During these years, so far the bests combinations I experienced have been:
- Mid range: BF2 OG > Jot2 > Edition XS
- High range: Spring 3 KTE > Euforia AE > Atrium Open

B) Now, the following chain: Spring 3 KTE > Bliss KTE > Caldera/Atrium Open, I find I miss something but dont know what. Is like some spices are missing. Dont know if Holo is in general smooth and combining the Spring and Bliss, specially with Caldera is making the chain too relaxed and neutral and need something a bit more aggressive, but not too much and at the same time warm?

Try some good quality silver interconnects to see if that helps. Preferably more aggressive ones. Also try to audition Ferrum Oor + Hypsos to get more spice. I have May + Bliss and on Susvara it was too relaxed for me, it is generally very relaxed and sometimes I'm also on the edge of "I would like a bit more spice" ...

Jun 7, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #2,397 of 3,299
Glad you enjoyed! Delerium is good stuff, love their layering and vocals. Perhaps my favorite cut of theirs was on the original Poem CD, but then later it mysteriously got removed and placed on a secondary album, called "Poem (Bonus Track Version)". Go figure... The cut is called "Inner Sanctum". Check it out...

Thanks for the good wishes, all a part of the audio journey... :)

Get HQPlayer + Roon trial and route Qobuz via Roon, use Golden Sound Oversampling settings as a starting point in the description of this YouTube video.

GoldenSound HQPlayer Oversampling setting link
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/...mY-4ct2IZMJX4jY81vZlkaNitU0?usp=sharing&pli=1

YouTube Video

Jun 7, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #2,399 of 3,299
Agree with HQP, Roon, silver or better quality interconnects. Also SR purple fuses in Spring and Bliss make a difference. Holo Red as a streamer also added dynamics to Holo stack for me. And as always, make sure your power is well sorted.
Better quality than silver?? Did they convince people cable conductivity follows the age-old hierarchy of copper < silver < gold < platinum?

Jun 7, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #2,400 of 3,299
Agree with HQP, Roon, silver or better quality interconnects. Also SR purple fuses in Spring and Bliss make a difference. Holo Red as a streamer also added dynamics to Holo stack for me. And as always, make sure your power is well sorted.
Sooo... correct me if I am mistaken.... but one of the advantages of R2R DAC is to reproduce the music more realistic possible without upsampling it, right? that makes you can add your own ingredients using previously an upsampler software like the HQPlayer... I can start to see why people love HQP with R2R... is not just a player. I am wondering now If I can use it as a middle software with any other program using the Holo DAC, not just Roon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back