Holo Audio Bliss
Jun 7, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #2,401 of 3,264
Sooo... correct me if I am mistaken.... but one of the advantages of R2R DAC is to reproduce the music more realistic possible without upsampling it, right? that makes you can add your own ingredients using previously an upsampler software like the HQPlayer... I can start to see why people love HQP with R2R... is not just a player. I am wondering now If I can use it as a middle software with any other program using the Holo DAC, not just Roon
R2R does not mean NOS. Many R2R DACs do oversample.

Jun 7, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #2,402 of 3,264
Sooo... correct me if I am mistaken.... but one of the advantages of R2R DAC is to reproduce the music more realistic possible without upsampling it, right? that makes you can add your own ingredients using previously an upsampler software like the HQPlayer... I can start to see why people love HQP with R2R... is not just a player. I am wondering now If I can use it as a middle software with any other program using the Holo DAC, not just Roon
Sorry to tell you but NOS R2R is the least accurate way to convert digital to analog. If your goal is to recover the original analog music, NOS R2R is not it.

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #2,403 of 3,264
Better quality than silver?? Did they convince people cable conductivity follows the age-old hierarchy of copper < silver < gold < platinum?
No. I mean better interconnects than what you might have, including silver, which if designed correctly and made with high quality materials, would likely be best, both on general and for this application. That said, clean power is more important than subtle tuning by interconnect rolling.

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #2,404 of 3,264
You still feed the output of HQP to Spring/NOS. It ends up better. HQP also has myriad options, so you can chose many different renderings of your music. Even Roon or Audirvāna upsampling can often be more pleasing than bitperfect into NOS. May has oversampling, which is inferior to external upsampling in the aforementioned good software options, or with M-scaler.

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #2,405 of 3,264
Sorry to tell you but NOS R2R is the least accurate way to convert digital to analog. If your goal is to recover the original analog music, NOS R2R is not it.
I will try to use the oversampling with HQP + Roon with GoldenSound presets like said on previous posts and see... But I insist, I love the Spring 3 with Euforia AE, it sounds alive. Dont know what happen with SS amp tho, but sounds too plain for me, lets see if oversampling solve this with the Bliss. With all your answers I also understand NOS R2R is probably mean to be used with dedicated external upsampling system.

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #2,406 of 3,264
I will try to use the oversampling with HQP + Roon with GoldenSound presets like said on previous posts and see... But I insist, I love the Spring 3 with Euforia AE, it sounds alive. Dont know what happen with SS amp tho, but sounds too plain for me, lets see if oversampling solve this with the Bliss. With all your answers I also understand NOS R2R is probably mean to be used with dedicated external upsampling system.
Looks like you love tubes and nothing wrong with that. Try Euforia as Pre to Bliss

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #2,407 of 3,264
See what you can get out of oversampling, but to me it sounds like Spring + Bliss is possibly too laid back for your taste. There are other amps in the same bracket : Ferrum, HA6a, Soloist GT ... with Bliss being the most laid back out of the bunch for me.

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #2,408 of 3,264
When you say Plain - Is it laid back or is it flat as compared to Euforia? A laid back sound with good staging and micro dynamics is what many look for but turn off is laid back and flat sounding

Jun 7, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #2,409 of 3,264
When you say Plain - Is it laid back or is it flat as compared to Euforia? A laid back sound with good staging and micro dynamics is what many look for but turn off is laid back and flat sounding

Yes, maybe the correct definition would be too laid back with Bliss (thanks @krude ) compared to the Euforia. Is like a picture in black and white vs colored. No complains in staging and micro dynamics using Caldera in Bliss. I think I need to wait the Susvara and HA-300. With the HA-300 I will be able to use planars with tube and expect an improvement over Euforia AE characteristics. I think with all of this I can finally understand what are my preferences. Its just, I cannot know wether the culprit here is Spring 3, Bliss or the Caldera in my equation right now.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #2,410 of 3,264
Yes, maybe the correct definition would be too laid back with Bliss (thanks @krude ) compared to the Euforia. Is like a picture in black and white vs colored. No complains in staging and micro dynamics using Caldera in Bliss. I think I need to wait the Susvara and HA-300. With the HA-300 I will be able to use planars with tube and expect an improvement over Euforia AE characteristics. I think with all of this I can finally understand what are my preferences. Its just, I cannot know wether the culprit here is Spring 3, Bliss or the Caldera in my equation right now.
You can certainly get a very lively sound out of Cayins with HA300 being the daddy (Im also waiting for mine ... ) : ) just be prepared to roll some tubes to find your sound.

That being said I use Bliss a lot, as a pre into HA6a and also into a power amp for speakers and I love the sound I'm getting in both cases. Very refined, holographic, full, dynamic and relaxed and easy at the same time.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #2,411 of 3,264
Euforia AE is a bright amp with stock tubes. I liked it that way when I had it. Bliss gives you so much more thickness and control in the bass that it is a definite difference in tuning. Neither is really wrong. The Holo stuff is of a very high level, and will highlight any flaws in your chain.

Jun 7, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #2,412 of 3,264
If you're upsampling the signal how is that truer to the original source???
Once your start screw**g with the signal, it by definition, becomes less true to the original source.

Jun 7, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #2,414 of 3,264
Once your start screw**g with the signal, it by definition, becomes less true to the original source.
The original source is lost, all we have are its digitized samples. It's kind of like these children's assignments where you have to connect the dots, the picture only emerges after the dots are connected correctly.
It's your DACs job to connect the dots as accurately as possible (using math). NOS is just showing the dots and saying: tah dah! This is the original picture.

Jun 7, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #2,415 of 3,264
The short, oversimplified answer is that math is more precise than are tolerances within electronic components.

A lot of audio engineering is counter-intuitive to the layman. For example, amps with feedback loops (i.e., more components) are typically lower in distortion than those without.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back