Holo Audio Bliss
Feb 3, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #1,246 of 3,315
Does anyone notice a slight and I mean incredibly minor difference in sound - primarily the bass impact and size between the 4.4mm balanced and the 4 pin XLR output on the Bliss? I do notice the difference with my MAD24's, after volume matching that is. It's incredibly minor but it bothers me so I stick to using the 4pin XLR output. At least with these IEM's I feel strongly that I get the best sound out of the 4pin XLR. Anyone else notice this as well? It may just be the sensitivity of the IEM's, but I hear a pretty big difference in IEM cables I have here as well.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #1,247 of 3,315
Does anyone notice a slight and I mean incredibly minor difference in sound - primarily the bass impact and size between the 4.4mm balanced and the 4 pin XLR output on the Bliss? I do notice the difference with my MAD24's, after volume matching that is. It's incredibly minor but it bothers me so I stick to using the 4pin XLR output. At least with these IEM's I feel strongly that I get the best sound out of the 4pin XLR. Anyone else notice this as well? It may just be the sensitivity of the IEM's, but I hear a pretty big difference in IEM cables I have hear as well.
4.4mm has a higher impedance than the XLR, 2Ω vs 0Ω on LO-Z. If you are using sensitive iems, you should use the XLR for best performance.

Feb 4, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #1,248 of 3,315
Feb 4, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #1,250 of 3,315
Volot is tuned Warmer and more forgiving, it makes everything sound good, also I guess I'd agree with how SoundNews with it bringing tubey characteristics I guess (Volot might have a bigger soundstage than Bliss, but separation / imaging is probably better on Bliss)
Bliss is very neutral, if there's treble harshness in the mix it will show for 100% sure.
But it also makes good recordings Amazing, Technical, and Deep. It has great bass (Much better than on Volot).
I haven't gone back to Volot after I put on Bliss, but that's just me, more on the lazy nature of playing around with other setups, I'd just use 1 for the most part.
Oh yeah, I was talking about treble harshness, but when treble is right, it's right and sparkly. That's at least my impression with the OG Utopia.
Mids and Voices are also really nice and present.
I guess Volot might be categorized as Musical, vs Bliss being Analytically Musical.

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #1,251 of 3,315
Volot is tuned Warmer and more forgiving, it makes everything sound good, also I guess I'd agree with how SoundNews with it bringing tubey characteristics I guess (Volot might have a bigger soundstage than Bliss, but separation / imaging is probably better on Bliss)
Bliss is very neutral, if there's treble harshness in the mix it will show for 100% sure.
But it also makes good recordings Amazing, Technical, and Deep. It has great bass (Much better than on Volot).
I haven't gone back to Volot after I put on Bliss, but that's just me, more on the lazy nature of playing around with other setups, I'd just use 1 for the most part.
Oh yeah, I was talking about treble harshness, but when treble is right, it's right and sparkly. That's at least my impression with the OG Utopia.
I guess Volot might be categorized as Musical, vs Bliss being Analytically Musical.
Utopia usually is harsh in treble. But I’m really curious how both work with hard to drive planar like sus , 1266, and others

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #1,252 of 3,315
And usually for hifi… the hardest part is how to tune to be musical other than Analytical imo.

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #1,253 of 3,315
Bliss seems to me the perfect match for that, I like Technicalities, Detail and Musicality in my Sound :)
I don't know how harder to drive headphones sound on it though, but people can't explain to me how Susvara bass is compared to Utopia, people are saying Utopia is better with Bass slam, I'm at a very good spot with the Utopia for Bass, though sometimes I'd like it to be more slammy, at this point I'm feeling it's really the limitation of Utopia for slam or something else, MOST of the time it's VERY satisfying bass, but there ARE parts that fall short.

Feb 4, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #1,254 of 3,315
Bliss seems to me the perfect match for that, I like Technicalities, Detail and Musicality in my Sound :)
I don't know how harder to drive headphones sound on it though, but people can't explain to me how Susvara bass is compared to Utopia, people are saying Utopia is better with Bass slam, I'm at a very good spot with the Utopia for Bass, though sometimes I'd like it to be more slammy, at this point I'm feeling it's really the limitation of Utopia for slam or something else, MOST of the time it's VERY satisfying bass, but there ARE parts that fall short.
For ultimate Utopia dynamics and slam you need a well sorted tube amp, it gets a completely different characteristic running off tubes.

Difference in opinion on Bliss vs Ferrum is very interesting here. I should get my hands on Bliss KTE next week hopefully and will do a head to head with a spot for only one SS amp in my stack ... so stakes are high 🤣 I went with Ferrum over well sorted Soloist GT, so Bliss being compared to the GT, and Oor in so many different ways is definitely intriguing and I honstly don't know what to expect : > Fun times ahead.

Feb 4, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #1,255 of 3,315
4.4mm has a higher impedance than the XLR, 2Ω vs 0Ω on LO-Z. If you are using sensitive iems, you should use the XLR for best performance.
I had read Golden’s measurements on that and figured that may be why.. I’ll leave it at that I was just curious if anyone else could actually hear the difference. TBH I guess I’m a little surprised there is a difference but maybe I shouldn’t be?

Feb 4, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #1,256 of 3,315
I had read Golden’s measurements on that and figured that may be why.. I’ll leave it at that I was just curious if anyone else could actually hear the difference. TBH I guess I’m a little surprised there is a difference but maybe I shouldn’t be?
Golden guessed it is for short protection, I don’t really know anything more than that. A bit annoying that it’s a higher impedance since 4.4mm is so common for iems, but at least an adapter solves it

Feb 4, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #1,257 of 3,315

Try a tube amp with high output impedance. Utopia doesn't have a flat impedance curve and will be bass boosted when used with a high output impedance amp. When I want the most bass out of all my headphones, I plug my Utopia into the single ended output on my Willsenton R300 and it's pretty magical.

Feb 4, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #1,258 of 3,315
Golden guessed it is for short protection, I don’t really know anything more than that. A bit annoying that it’s a higher impedance since 4.4mm is so common for iems, but at least an adapter solves it
Have you noticed a difference in practice? I wasn't able to identify an improvement using XLRs versus 4.4 with Mest MKII. To my ears though both sounds fantastic.

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #1,260 of 3,315
Have you noticed a difference in practice? I wasn't able to identify an improvement using XLRs versus 4.4 with Mest MKII. To my ears though both sounds fantastic.
Sorry I haven't used my iems on bliss, the only thing I have used on the 4.4mm is my Stealths. I should have an adapter coming next week but I don't think the Stealths are low enough impedance to have any difference anyways

Users who are viewing this thread

Back