Hmmm...guess burn-in is real...
Jun 9, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #77 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali
This link comes from my Headphone Break-in blog (referenced below), but here's a direct link to save you time. This professional outlines the verity of the break-in process:

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...kerBreakIn.php

Although written for speaker manufacture, the information is applicable to headphones.

From a technical point of view:

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioholics
There is nothing to burn in on a normal dynamic headphone. On a dynamic mid-woofer or woofer speaker, in the first few minutes or hours of operation, the brand new suspension components/glues may loosen mechanically, thus causing a very slight reduction of the Fs[resonant frequency] of the transducer(s). This would result in slight increase of low frequency extension. The use of the dynamic transducer at high rates of excursion/incursion may temporarily stress the rubber surround causing a temporary and very slight change in it's physical properties that would return to normal when the high level of stress is reduced or stopped. The in the magnetic gap at these extreme movements will likely be of a far greater magnitude in effect.

A normal dynamic headphone has no such suspension system. The diaphragm is terminated directly to the edges of the transducer frame. Slight physical property changes may occur in the diaphragm during use at constant high amplitudes if it heats appreciably, or if used in very extreme temperature climates; but no permanent change would occur. I believe it to be improbable that the small change that may occur temporarily due to the latter explanation would be audible. Even if you did find headphones with a suspension system that can 'break' in like a speaker suspension, it would be a subtle difference, and the sound difference was be directly attributable to the Fs of the driver.

Burn in of an audible magnitude on standard headphones is something often assumed to exist without real evidence. You will adjust/compensate, mentally, for the new sound balance. So, metaphorically, you may burn in to the headphones.

Jun 9, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #78 of 278
Quote:

This link comes from my Headphone Break-in blog (referenced below), but here's a direct link to save you time. This professional outlines the verity of the break-in process:

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...kerBreakIn.php

Although written for speaker manufacture, the information is applicable to headphones. His conclusion: break-in is real.

Interesting read. Although it is a lot to take in on the first read, and the math made me go cross-eyed (I will assume he knows what he is talking about in this area, math geeks please feel free to point out anything fishy - it would be appreciated).

Thanks for the link, I will probably need to read it a few more times in order to fully digest what is being said.

Jun 9, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #80 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto
Ok all you "break-in doesn't exist" people.
Please explain my experience.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...1&postcount=37

Please tell me you know what the explanation is...

Is there something there (that I missed) that sets your "I listened, burned, and listened again" apart from the other thousand?

Quote:

Not true! When I got my 650's and first tried them, I was not happy at all.
I went back to my 555's and was was planning on returning the 650's.
I let the 650's burn in for one week non stop. When I tried them after one week of burn in, they were 100% different! From that point on I was a believer in burn in.

By the book... Anyone else have an anecdote they think changes the issue?

Quote:

I think Otto's experience is the most interesting one.

It's absolutely no different than anyone else's experience ([edit- pending his clarification if I'm wrong]).

Quote:

But of course it's all in your head. We're all a bunch of loonys.

That you completely misunderstand "placebo" is now noted. Thanks.

Jun 9, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #82 of 278
Burn-in is definitely real, and I have absolute proof. The other day I received my K701s and they sounded terrible. After 5 hours of burn-in they still sounded bad. 100 hours, 200 hours, same thing. Then 299 hours I was contemplating returning them and then, glancing at the clock, I noticed I have now owned the K701s for 300 hours. All of a sudden the sound opened up, and there was so much air. Bass became full and enveloping, and the soundstage became huge!

Jun 9, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #83 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
"Impressions", "I believe", "it must be true", etc., etc.

Until someone produces hard data this debate will continue to be as pointless as an atheist and a Christian debating the existence of God.

Now there's a reasoned argument about headphones.
biggrin.gif

Why not accept for a moment that there are things not so easily measured? While analysis refuses to accept the existence of such things, successful design involves faith about those things you can't prove (and there are many). A good Engineer uses both.

Frankly, the anectodal testimony is plentiful enough to indicate a reality that is not easily dismissed. Combine it with the common sense knowledge that any moving part moves more freely after developing some wear patterns (no matter how small), and I am willing to give a pair of headphones a reasonable length of time before rendering a verdict.

Jun 9, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #84 of 278
Quote:

Frankly, the anectodal testimony is plentiful enough to indicate a reality that is not easily dismissed.

Actually, I don't think anyone is dismissing anyone's experiences as much as maintaining an alternate (and strongly supported) explanation for them.

Jun 9, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #85 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by EightyOne
Got my HD580 yesterday, and the bass didn't have a smooth sound. Sort of warbly, but only slightly, if you know what I mean. Had it playing music for the past 24 hours, and that problem is already gone. Didn't believe in burn-in before, but, eh, it's interesting.

I'm not a Senn guy, but I've been curious about these. Have the phones broken-in satisfactorily since your first post? How would you describe the sound? Please update us.

Jun 9, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #86 of 278
Usually, I wouldn't touch these threads w/ a 20ft pole, but its Friday.

Just to chime in. With my diy electrostatic drivers, burn-in is quite real. The superglue holding the Mylar diaphragm would dislodge or physically alter the way the Mylar is stretched. I've seen flakes fall off on my early crude drivers after playing loud bassy tracks. I've heard pops/ticks (no, not arcs, which sound very different) as certain parts of the Mylar lose tension. Sometimes, the graphite dislodges and sensitivity will change.

In my dabble with ribbons, the aluminum foil becomes more pliable as it burns in. My diy ESLs had visibly different stretch/wrinkles as the glue lost their hold after "burn in."

For crude DIY drivers, "burn in" equates to noticeable physical changes. Are such changes audibly perceivable or better? I don't know. My ears aren't golden. In a commercial product with high tolerance manufacturing, I would think physical changes are very minute compared w/ crude DIY jobs.

Jun 9, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #87 of 278
Quote:

I'm not a Senn guy, but I've been curious about these. Have the phones broken-in satisfactorily since your first post? How would you describe the sound? Please update us.

Just another story. I got my HD580 15 days ago and I don't hear any change in their lovely sound. And I hope they wont change. Because of burning in is free, I left them playing all nite and morning long. So I think they are at about 100-170 hours of burning. Burning in lives in the domain of the hope
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #89 of 278
Oh dear, now I have to argue on the opposite side from where I usually sit.

I think burn-in is hideously overrated, but is much less suspicious than recabling, and probably easier to test for. I know, rodbac, that you haven't heard any tests that showed a conclusively identifiable case of burning in, but I've never seen anybody do a real test of this with headphones that disproved it either. People make money off cables, and burning in is only maybe distantly useful for marketing, so who would pay for these tests?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodbac
The point from every reasonable critic's POV that I've read is not that there's nothing that could theoretically change over time, but rather that those changes could not be large enough within the tolerances of a headphone's driver to become audible.

Why should we assume they couldn't be audible? Is there any evidence for that? Surely, a driver with very thin, flexible surrounds made of a material that changes pliancy a bit when it's been flexed a lot might be a little audibly different, especially when what we're hearing is after all a minutely varied series of vibrations of a tiny surface-- even when it's the difference between a dog barking and a violin, the material difference is tiny, and I think we can all identify that. I'm not saying that these differences always are audible, just that they potentially could be.

Here's my little anecdote for your collection: a pair of EP-630's that arrived with a bit of bass bloat and slightly piercing highs, which I tested against an old pair of KSC-75's on the same source, creating an EQ setting to make them comparable. After maybe ten hours of use over a few days, the EQ difference got a lot closer. Still psychologically informed, perhaps, but it is a little different from the other anecdotes in that I used a reference at roughly hourly intervals and kept records with EQ settings. Did the headphones completely change their sound? Was it a dramatic, night-and-day difference? No. But it was a little nicer, like they'd broken in a bit.

Why should we refuse the theoretical possibility that this is a material phenomenon when there seems to be at least some reason to accept that it might be one? It's taken to ridiculous extremes here on Head-fi, but now it seems like some people are becoming just as dogmatic against it, with just as many unproven claims, like your "these changes can't possibly be audible" line, rodbac. For shame, to start spouting dogma when you're supposed to be the one talking sense!

ps,

Quote:

PS: Something else that works against the reality of "burn in" (at least in my mind) is the fact that not one single phone has EVER gotten worse with break in. I would think if there were indeed these dramatic changes taking place in the driver's materials that at least occasionally they would sound better to someone before those changes took place. Does this not strike anyone else as odd?

good point in itself, but then again, do shoes, say, get less comfortable as they get broken in? Not entirely a spurious comparison, as it's the standard case of stiff new materials getting flexible with use. But perhaps rodbac's shoes have never had a scientifically provable difference after being broken in. Except for the smell.
tongue.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #90 of 278
Quote:

Actually, I don't think anyone is dismissing anyone's experiences as much as maintaining an alternate (and strongly supported) explanation for them.

... and circular reasoning is only an alternate straight-line method ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back