Hmmm...guess burn-in is real...
Jun 9, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #61 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
This store doesn't have such a return policy afaik. www.audiophile.lu
I tested them in a seperate room with the desired amplification and source, and my own music of course; I was pretty decided alright. Also heard them before as well.
I always had the impression that speaker break-in was scientifically proven, also because of the larger size of the drivers.
confused.gif

The "return policy" part was kinda tongue-in-cheek...

It would make sense to me about speakers, too... I'm sure the tolerances are relatively large for midranges and even more so for woofers.

Jun 9, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #62 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodbac
How long you been working with computers? The initial application and seating of the thermal interface fills in the uber-tiny spaces on the surface of the CPU. When you changed heatsinks, those spaces were still filled in no matter how diligent you were trying to clean the old material off.

Been working with computers ever since I can remember. It's my profession, I sell, build, and repair systems for a living. And in the works on opening my own store.
And yes you can get rid of the paste in the "uber-tiny" crevices by lapping, something that I have done many times in the past and is applied to my current cooling setup. And yes I've even lapped the die.

But lets get back to the subject shall we.

BTW excellent avatar, represents you well.

Jun 9, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #63 of 278
Matt, I'm not going to argue with you. If you think you were able to immediately OC your cpu because it had finally "burned in" rather than the previous application of thermal material, go ahead.

You might also consider letting Intel know. I know a couple engineers for them and they'll be very surprised.

Jun 9, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #65 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodbac
The "return policy" part was kinda tongue-in-cheek...

Sorry, I can't get my humour to work today, lots of distraction from studying.
tongue.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #66 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder
It's all in the head. Burn-in doesn't exist. You get more and more familiar with the soundsignature of the headphone. So you begin to appreciate the subtle details coming forward.

It's all in the head, period. Same thing with amps, sources and cables. Your ears need to adjust to the new sound. A lot of people see this as a physical burn-in or change of the material/hardware inside of the equipment.

If headphone burn in is completely psychological... can someone please explain this?

I listened to my RS1 for 15 minutes fresh out of the box. A/B compared it with my HF1. NIGHT and DAY difference in the midrange. RS1=Shouty and screechy from 2000-5500Hz... piercing-ly bright. Sounded a lot like an MDRV6. Cats in heat... YUK! It was UNLISTENABLE, night and day difference.

Wrapped them in a blanket for 2 weeks playing loud bass heavy music and dreamtheater.

Took em out and A/B compared them. The midrange harshness was gone. Compared to the HF1, the RS1 was VERY similar, with more treble on top and better upper-mid detail resolution. I never once took them out or allowed my ears a chance to adjust. Truthfully, they sounded so bad... I really didn't care to
biggrin.gif
I was perfectly happy with my modded HF1.

I had my trusty wife place the phones on my head with my eyes closed. While I could certainly hear a difference, it was not as dramatic as it was when they were fresh out of the box.

Filburt was at my place during the hollidays and also found the RS1 unlistenable. Now they are one of his favorite cans. So I really don't think its completely psychoacoustics at work here, at least with the RS1.

But, as someone else pointed out.. untill theres a way to accurately measure headphone transient response... we will never know for sure.

Till then... just relax and enjoy the tunes.

Garrett

Jun 9, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #68 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
Update.

Email inquiry containing burn-in questions sent to:
Grado Labs.
AKG.
Sennheiser.
BeyerDynamic.

We shall see what happens.

Can you inquire with them in your email exchange, if they have a way to measure transient response?... MLSSA graphs and such?.. Or are they merely doing the same things we are?... listening and comparing.

thanks!!
Garrett

Jun 9, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #69 of 278
Ok all you "break-in doesn't exist" people.
Please explain my experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto
I bought Sennheiser HD650s and Grado SR325s at the
same time. The Grados were bright, bright, bright. Downright harsh.
The Senns were too mellow and sounded, well, slow.

Over time the Grados have smoothed out completely. Six hour listening
sessions are no problem. Switch directly to the Senns and they don't
miss anything in the speed department anymore.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...1&postcount=37

Jun 9, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #70 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Can you inquire with them in your email exchange, if they have a way to measure transient response?... MLSSA graphs and such?.. Or are they merely doing the same things we are?... listening and comparing.

thanks!!
Garrett

Good question. My plan was to first ask them about their stance on break-in/burn-in. If I get responses similar to "yes we suggest XX hours of break-in in order for our headphones to perform optimally", or that "break-in will (can or does) change the sound characteristics of the headphones". Then I figured I would do a follow up email to ask how they measured such changes, etc.

If/when I hear back from them I will update for those interested.

Jun 9, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #71 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
Of course burn-in isn't real, how can it be? It's purely psychoacoustics. I mean, how can a constantly flexing membrane possibly change it's physichal characteristics over time? It's really easy to demonstrate. Take a piece of wire and start bending it, over and over, and... oh wait... hmmm...

Using the same argument, can't burn in also have a negative effect? One explanation is that the speaker/drivers were engineered in the first place to perform at a particular specification after the material has broken in. We really need someone in the driver design field to shed some light on how drivers are designed and with what design/material parameters they design their drivers. Do they base their models on worn in driver membranes or what?

Jun 9, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #72 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder
It's all in the head. Burn-in doesn't exist. You get more and more familiar with the soundsignature of the headphone. So you begin to appreciate the subtle details coming forward.

Not true! When I got my 650's and first tried them, I was not happy at all.
I went back to my 555's and was was planning on returning the 650's.
I let the 650's burn in for one week non stop. When I tried them after one week of burn in, they were 100% different! From that point on I was a believer in burn in.

580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #73 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Using the same argument, can't burn in also have a negative effect? One explanation is that the speaker/drivers were engineered in the first place to perform at a particular specification after the material has broken in.

Certainly... there are other forum members who have been unhappy with the sound of their cans post-burn in. Its few... but there have been posts and comments made.

Garrett

Jun 9, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #75 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by BennyBoy
Not true! When I got my 650's and first tried them, I was not happy at all.
I went back to my 555's and was was planning on returning the 650's.
I let the 650's burn in for one week non stop. When I tried them after one week of burn in, they were 100% different! From that point on I was a believer in burn in.

But of course it's all in your head. We're all a bunch of loonys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back