Hmm... M50 questions
Dec 31, 2012 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

SheaMolt

New Head-Fier
Coming from SkullCandy Titan headphones, I decided on the ATH M50's as they seemed like the best all-around headphones. (I listen to a variety of music).

Listening to songs I can hear a lot of different things that before I couldn't in songs. It is an ear opening experience.

However, the bass seems to be lacking? or was it just never there in the music? I enjoy dubstep/electronic music however I wouldn't necessarily call myself a basshead. I just like to be 'surrounded' in the music or feel as if the music was taking over

Maybe this just needs some getting used to ? break in?

thanks
Shea

Dec 31, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 10
1) how is your music ripped? Low quality MP3s often lack bass. I suggest AT LEAST 256k.

2) This is my opinion, so don't be offended, but I freaking hate the M50s. I feel like they are so overhyped. I had a pair and was waiting for that "basshead" sound that everyone was talking about, but it never came. On top of that the highs were ear piercingly high and in your face. 

If you can, try out a few other sets of headphones to see if you can hear a difference. As far as getting used to the sound, I never could. 

In terms of being "surrounded" by the music, thats often difficult with any closed headphone, but thats just the nature of the design. You trade isolation for soundstage. 

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 10
Yeah, you could just try to get used to the sound, or you could try EQ:ing them. Personally, I found them to be very EQ:able and responsive to it. Much more so than my D2000 or Pro 900. In many ways I actually prefer the M50 over them.

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
what exactly is isolation/soundstage? and what are you suggesting better fits me? In ears?

soundstage is rubbish. isolation is pretty decent.

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 10
I think you've hit on one of the things I like about the M50s -- their versatility.  But overall, the sound just suits me.  I demo'd them at a local shop, comparing across their other brands and was struck by how it worked on guitar-centered rock -- but could also handle Mahler or Bach.  

Of course, nothing is perfect.. and totally respect where CirrusPilot is coming from.  I guess there would be no Head-Fi if the same thing worked equally for everyone.  I started out with open design headphones (what I always listen to at home) and these always feel more spacious.  But for the office (bus and etc.) I have to have closed and these have really worked to isolate me from the noisy environment -- and keeps the sound from bothering others, as it certainly would with an open design.

Trying to recall back over the years... maybe the bass got a bit cleaner over the first few months.  Maybe.  But I don't recall getting more bass.  

The way I generally listen to these is: iPod -> LOD ->Amp.  These don't need an amp (at all), but I get more clarity bypassing the amp circuit in the iPod.

Jan 1, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 10
Hmm...

So I think when I first got these I was expecting a similar experience to previous headphones and didn't necessarily know what I was listening for. I decided to play around with equilizers and WOW are these simply amazing. Everything seems there, not just blaring in my ears (how I normally would listen to music).

I also got some FLAC music which really helped. This is actually opening my ey...ears to a whole different taste in music.

I don't think these will come off my head anytime soon... :D

Thanks for all the help guys

edit: I also suddenly realize why youtube ripping is a horrible way to get music, as well :p

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

edit: I also suddenly realize why youtube ripping is a horrible way to get music, as well :p

Totally agree with this.  :)  I find that I benefit from choosing less capable headphones if I'm listening to youtube or low res mp3. 

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
Hmm...

So I think when I first got these I was expecting a similar experience to previous headphones and didn't necessarily know what I was listening for. I decided to play around with equilizers and WOW are these simply amazing. Everything seems there, not just blaring in my ears (how I normally would listen to music).

I also got some FLAC music which really helped. This is actually opening my ey...ears to a whole different taste in music.

I don't think these will come off my head anytime soon... :D

Thanks for all the help guys

Depends on the video really. There are some that have great audio quality, but most videos have crappy audio. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back