HM-601 reliability concern ... E7+E9 a better choice?
Jan 6, 2011 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Shinnbone

Head-Fier
Hi y'all, first-time poster here.

I am about to pull the trigger on the HM-601 since Head-Direct still has the 601/ZERO bundle deal. But having read tons of threads here on HM-XXX DAPs and the RE-0/RE-ZERO, I am a bit concerned about the build quality of HiFiMan products.

I would like to hear from those of you who have had the HM-XXX products for a while ... how durable and reliable are they? Your input will be much appreciated!

Oh, and please, no FR-oriented "it's not neutral" replies. I've read a ton about the HM-601 here -- and elsewhere -- and I am pretty sure the sound will be more than fine.

Edit: There are more posts added to the review thread that talk about issues with 601 every day. I know the sound quality won't be as good, but I wonder whether I should consider E7+E9 for my iPod Touch.

Jan 7, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 14
I have the 801.  Plenty durable and behaves well.  A few scratches on the underside because I leave it out on a table that cats track sand onto.  Not really the fault of the device.

- Ed

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #4 of 14
I purchased the 601 around 2 weeks after the announcement was made. I still have the screen protector on. I have been using it almost daily and when not in use it has either been in my desk or wrapped in a bandanna which fits in one of the little compartments inside my book bag.

As of right now I notice no dents, scratches, markings, etc. It has held up fine and I see no reason for it to hold up for a long time.

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #5 of 14
Thank you, rawrster!

This is reassuring about the durability, but there seems to be more and more posts about problems with UI, bug, and memory cards. Sounds like reliability is not that good and varies greatly from unit to unit. Hmm. I wonder if I should get the FiiO E7+E9 to use with my iPod Touch instead. 

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #6 of 14
First you have to realize what kind of product the 601 is. It's a product that is designed to sound very good and have a fairly good internal amp. Things other than sound such as UI, sdhc support, etc. is an after thought after sound. By that account I consider the 601 a success in my book and the UI is fairly good for this type of dap.

Secondly you can't use the E9 as a portable solution for your itouch if that's you were planning on.

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 14
Thanks, rawrster. Yes, I understand HM- series DAPs are supposed to be high-SQ / low-price players that may be less than stellar in other areas. I just don't want to end up with a dead or malfunctioning machine after the warranty runs out. Reliability / durability is my main concern.

And yes, I understand E9 is not a portable amp. I was thinking E7 only on the go, and E7+E9 at work.

Jan 9, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
Thank you, rawrster!

This is reassuring about the durability, but there seems to be more and more posts about problems with UI, bug, and memory cards. Sounds like reliability is not that good and varies greatly from unit to unit. Hmm. I wonder if I should get the FiiO E7+E9 to use with my iPod Touch instead. 

I've had my 602 since the first preorder batch w/ zero issues.  Full battery capacity, all buttons work, no audible problems.  Like Rawrster I still have the screen protector on mine.  Plus Invisibleshield on the back.  

You have to realize you hear reports of problems because people have problems.  You don't hear people posting that everything works just fine.  If you read 5 people reporting issues it doesn't mean the player is unreliable.  You are discounting everyone else that reports no problems.  I have far more problems w/ my Sansa Clip+ discharging its battery and refusing to power on whenever it feels like.  Even my Nano 2G has issues turning off, the buttons probably going bad but only when I want to power down?

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #9 of 14
Thanks, Anaxilus!

Good point on unhappy people being more vocal than the content ones. Replies I am getting on this thread are exactly what I am looking for. Some reassurance.

A friend just offered to sell me his K701 for a very reasonable price. I may have to put my portable music solution pursuit on hold and look for an amp or the K701 now.

Jan 10, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
I've had my 602 since the first preorder batch w/ zero issues.  Full battery capacity, all buttons work, no audible problems.  Like Rawrster I still have the screen protector on mine.  Plus Invisibleshield on the back.  

You have to realize you hear reports of problems because people have problems.  You don't hear people posting that everything works just fine.  If you read 5 people reporting issues it doesn't mean the player is unreliable.  You are discounting everyone else that reports no problems.  I have far more problems w/ my Sansa Clip+ discharging its battery and refusing to power on whenever it feels like.  Even my Nano 2G has issues turning off, the buttons probably going bad but only when I want to power down?

Which one do you have? I never thought of putting that on the back and I never really found a case for the 601 although I didn't really look.

That's definitely a good point. Those who have issues will always be louder than those who don't. You don't hear too many stories of someone praising a company for having something work like it's supposed to. People buy things expecting it to work and if it doesn't then they will be loud.

Mar 30, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #11 of 14
I bought a qa350 before I had heard of the hifi man players. To my ears it's the best DAP I'v ever heard by far. unfortunately I managed to destroy it and now I'm torn between buying a qa350 mod2 or hm601. I know the 350 and love the dynamics and vibrancy. I've got no idea what the hm601 sounds like but have heard contradictory reviews all over the place from overpriced rubbish to best sounding thing ever. I'm a bit worried about it sounding soft which would turn me off but maybe I could counter this with bright headphones. it is also a lot smaller, longer bat, better ui and takes flac. help!

Mar 30, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #12 of 14
You may or may not like the coloration of the 601 but I prefer my 602 over the QA350 clearly.  To me it is more refined and detailed and definitely more musical.  Haven't heard a mod 2.  My QA350 sits collecting dust atm and is just waiting for the X3 to come out so I can sell off the loser.  

Apr 1, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #13 of 14
as others pointed out, there's presumably a silent majority out there, listening happily rather than posting. my HM-601 works great, and has already lived through quite a lot of use. it's a fiddly device, not as simple to use as an ATM (which seems to be what all usability engineers of gadgets now aspire to, the dumbed down black box), but not nearly as fiddly as your average turn table... once you sort out the best way to load it with tunes, and the best way to time your charging before its battery is so low it zaps your brain, the interface is easy enough (simpler than most watches, for instance) and the sound will reward you for a little patience with other aspects of gadgeteering.

May 2, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #14 of 14
You have to admit...all these reports of build quality issues do seem to be things to really keep in mind when buying a product as relatively high in price as the hm-601. Because as much as I have sound quality as a top priority, so too does build quality and reliability. Last thing I bought that broke in a few months was a pair of igrados. I just don't want to go through something like that again, as much as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back