HJE900 Poll - How many who have heard them like them?
Aug 17, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 27
I love them, as I've been pretty vocal about. I'm honestly very glad I found them, since they have stemmed the head-fi buyathonitis disease for me for a good many months. Not that there isn't anything better out there, but it seems outside of perhaps the Radius DDM there doesn't seem to be anything within my poor-college-kid budget I can upgrade to and be confident I'd prefer. And that's only talking about sound quality; when you consider their durability(despite relatively minor nozzles-falling-off issues), they become an even better value, what with their Zirconium construction and replaceable cables(which I've already had to do once, and rather than spend 100+ on a new set of earbuds I only spent 15 on new cables). Still, I see how the sound can be divisive, but they are almost perfect for me.

Aug 17, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #5 of 27
So almost twenty-four hours later, 8 yes, 2 no, 6 havn't heard.

I'm hoping to determine through this poll whether or not they are a good recommendation... their unique sig may not be a crowd pleaser. 

Aug 18, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #7 of 27
Not heard them yet ,but i will tomorrow ,so will let you know 
basshead.gif

Aug 20, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 27
not heard them yet, but can't wait to give them a listen ^_^

Oct 15, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #10 of 27
Maybe we should bump this thread since more people have had a chance to listen to these.  People seem to either love them or hate them.

Oct 15, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #12 of 27
I'm expecting one very soon in the mail. I'll let you all know if i like them. From what i know it's either a love or hate relationship with the Panasonic HJE900 Zirconia's. You either like 'em or you don't. In fact, i've never seen anything like this in my quest for earphones/headphones.

Oct 15, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #13 of 27
Just got a pair myself.  I can see why these will either be liked or not.  It will depend on who's using them.  For someone highly dedicated to SQ and an accurate, analytical response, this person will not like them.  For someone looking for a well balanced, casual listening experience and an mild upgrade from a cheap earphone, this person will like them.  They have excellent frequency response extension out both ends but a 5dB bump at both 100Hz and 10kHz that are effectively a build in Loud feature.  For anyone who always uses this in their car stereo or home stereo, well, it's built into the response of the HJE900, will certainly be likable for some.  This is not a very dynamic, articulate, or detailed earphone.  It is somewhat edgy but for the most part smooth, almost laid back.  Some of you may find it overwhelming, but this is due to the low dynamic range.  Quiet information is almost as loud as the loud information, so you get a lot of stuff thrown at you at about the same intensity.  I typically call this "noisy."  Earphones like the RE0 or DBA-02 are like this as well.  To some this can make the earphone sound a little aggressive.  This is partly why the HJE900 does come across decently edgy despite being smooth, almost laid back as well.  Sound stage suffers from a lack of dynamic range.  A lot of depth is lost from this.  Close, loud stuff is pushed away and quiet, distant stuff is pulled forward, again why an earphone can sort of sound noisy and aggressive, to some overwhelming.  Some could call this more revealing, although I do tend to find revealing is better done through separation and level of detail where sounds can be individualized and unique in their own space.

These are going for about $100 now, cheaper used, and they are well balanced, well extended in response.  They do offer a robust, decently natural sounding note, not great SQ but likable, and is a budget (to some) earphone.  For anyone who hasn't used a high end earphone and is coming from cheapies, these will be likable and do offer an upgrade and likely numerous improvements to what they're used to.  For someone like me who has used better, I do see all the shortcomings.  However, for a $100 product, they aren't bad.  I personally may lean someone to a few other options at $100 like the C751, Custom 3, or RE-ZERO which all have superior SQ at the same price point, but it will always come down to personal preference and what you seek.  Is the HJE900 an amazing device?  No.  Is the HJE900 good for a $100 product?  Yes.  Are there better options at $100?  Depends.  It all depends on the properties you seek.  Because I am an SQ geek, I'd just tell you to stop being a fool and buy the Custom 3 already, but I do see value in the HJE900 for individuals seeking what it offers.

Oct 15, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #14 of 27
The verdict is still out for me.  While I like them, these are quite tip dependent and I haven't found the right tip yet for me.  They are definitely V shaped and quite aggressive.  They work very well for some of my music and for others I'm clicking next track.  I've done the foam mod and that's helped to some extent, but it's not a magic cure.  I just received T500 Comply's today and they happen to fit these so I'm digesting the changes now.  The highs are definitely tamed, but maybe too much?  Time will tell.  All in all they're not bad.  They remind me of my Klipsch S4's but they're missing something.  These have only been in my ears for about 10 hours and had another 8 hours of burn in to date.  I'll update my impressions next week.

Oct 15, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #15 of 27

I'm just like you mvw2. I like my earphones/headphones to be accurate and analytical. So far this doesn't look good.

Quote:
Just got a pair myself.  I can see why these will either be liked or not.  It will depend on who's using them.  For someone highly dedicated to SQ and an accurate, analytical response, this person will not like them.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back