Hissing / crackling sounds (HD 650, The element JDS lab)
Aug 7, 2018 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Adelfaidah

New Head-Fier
hello, i just received my amp/dac (JDS lab the element) and i started noticing if i crank the volume all the way to the max i start hearing hissing sound and even crackling sometimes (only on high gain) any suggestions why this is caused? could the cables be an issue? or the amp itself ? ( i only tried it with my HD650 )

Also, on veery low volumes only the left ear-cup would work this does not happen when i connect it straight to the motherboard making me believe its not an issue with the headphone

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #2 of 5
I'm guessing the volume control is analogue and not digital, which causes uneven balance at low volume.
Same thing happens in my Marantz PM7005 which sometimes plays sound through one channel on the headphones even at zero volume (pot all the way to the left), and at low volume the speakers have right-channel bias.

I solved the issue by lowering the sound volume in windows and raising the volume on the Marantz to the point where it plays evenly. Couldn't be bothered to RMA the amplifier when there's a workaround.

Aug 7, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #3 of 5
I'm guessing the volume control is analogue and not digital, which causes uneven balance at low volume.
Same thing happens in my Marantz PM7005 which sometimes plays sound through one channel on the headphones even at zero volume (pot all the way to the left), and at low volume the speakers have right-channel bias.

I solved the issue by lowering the sound volume in windows and raising the volume on the Marantz to the point where it plays evenly. Couldn't be bothered to RMA the amplifier when there's a workaround.

that is exactly how I'm dealing with it at the moment just lower the PC volume but what about the hissing sound when i turn the analogue dial to the max any clue?

Aug 7, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #5 of 5
Sorry, no idea about the crackling. Does it happen only when you tweak the volume or when listening at high volume?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back