Hisoundaudio STUDIO-V Review
Jan 31, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #211 of 830
So... any more comparisons or impressions on this vs the iMod (paired with mid-tier amp)?

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #212 of 830

Quote:
So... any more comparisons or impressions on this vs the iMod (paired with mid-tier amp)?

studio is better in almost every way. rocoo P & studio has better resolution, separation, and other technicalities as well when compared to diymod + decent mid-tier amp

the only down side is only the bass quantity, studio has less mid bass quantity than diymod, which might be a big turn-off for most people

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #213 of 830
I think it also depends on the pairing. With my IE80s the Studio V is amazing. They just compliment each other very well. But then again this goes for a lot of set ups. Synergy will make or break a rig. I'm guilty though lol the Studio hasn't been getting much loving lately due to my DX100 :wink:

Quote:
studio is better in almost every way. rocoo P & studio has better resolution, separation, and other technicalities as well when compared to diymod + decent mid-tier amp

the only down side is only the bass quantity, studio has less mid bass quantity than diymod, which might be a big turn-off for most people

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #214 of 830
I think it also depends on the pairing. With my IE80s the Studio V is amazing. They just compliment each other very well. But then again this goes for a lot of set ups. Synergy will make or break a rig. I'm guilty though lol the Studio hasn't been getting much loving lately due to my DX100 :wink:

Quote:

How would you compare those two? The dx100 and studio? I thought the dx100 is a bit to big just for iem use, so I hope they are serious about making a dx50.

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #215 of 830

Quote:
How would you compare those two? The dx100 and studio? I thought the dx100 is a bit to big just for iem use, so I hope they are serious about making a dx50.

That's not even set in stone yet. It would be nice if they were to make a mini DX but I highly doubt it TBH. We can all dream though :). While the Studio V is a very good DAP the DX100 does outclass it in pretty much every way. For me the issue with the Studio V is its hiss. If this was not present at all it would be a very good DAP. I can live with the hiss but some can't and for some it will be worse depending on what you pair it with. The Studio is a bit brighter than the DX100 though. Its bass is leaner and its sound stage is more emphasized horizontally while the DX100 is more 3D like.

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #216 of 830
Quote:

That's not even set in stone yet. It would be nice if they were to make a mini DX but I highly doubt it TBH. We can all dream though :). While the Studio V is a very good DAP the DX100 does outclass it in pretty much every way. For me the issue with the Studio V is its hiss. If this was not present at all it would be a very good DAP. I can live with the hiss but some can't and for some it will be worse depending on what you pair it with. The Studio is a bit brighter than the DX100 though. Its bass is leaner and its sound stage is more emphasized horizontally while the DX100 is more 3D like.

Tanks:) yeah I know it is a long shot - but if it doesn't happen I will settle with my studio-v. It is a great match with my Spiral ears!

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #217 of 830
Is the hiss problem due to its amp, firmware or what?
Also, iethan, what adapter are you using with your ba IEM's, and are you using the BA or Dynamic firmware?

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #218 of 830

Quote:
Is the hiss problem due to its amp, firmware or what?
Also, iethan, what adapter are you using with your ba IEM's, and are you using the BA or Dynamic firmware?

The output is not the cleanest. When the output is amplified..., that not-so-clean part is also amplified, you got the idea. Firmware will not totally fix the hiss; whichever troubled components (or, hardware designs) need to be addressed, until then, the hiss issue will stay.
There was one version of firmware, not as loud, so the hiss was lower -- I don't believe that version of firmware was released to public. Ask them, see whether they will let you have it.

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #219 of 830
I just sent my Leckerton UHA4 back to Nick at Leckerton for another opamp.   I realize that combining the amp with the V will eliminate the hiss, but then that defeats the small compact size of the V.   So why can't I see if Nick can fix ie replace or put in a part that will reduce the hiss into my sensitive IEM Ba's?

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #220 of 830

Quote:
I just sent my Leckerton UHA4 back to Nick at Leckerton for another opamp.   I realize that combining the amp with the V will eliminate the hiss, but then that defeats the small compact size of the V.   So why can't I see if Nick can fix ie replace or put in a part that will reduce the hiss into my sensitive IEM Ba's?

I just received my Golden impedance cable from Jack today. I must admit it is better than the other impedance adapter I was using. But it still does have a slight effect on the sound. It takes things a little bit farther away. This might not be an issue with IEM/cans that have their presentation closer to you. But for me the IE80 is already pushing that boundary and I do prefer to use the Studio V without the cable on my IE80s. I'll just have to live with it. But it does sound good  out of the IE80 as well. Just I notice the difference and I don't like it.

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #221 of 830

If some sobody really hope to pair the high sensitive IEMs with the hifi player, We recommend ROCOO ( not ROCOO P( power version), ROCOO Is specially designed for the high sensitive IEMs.

Thanks.

Quote:
I just received my Golden impedance cable from Jack today. I must admit it is better than the other impedance adapter I was using. But it still does have a slight effect on the sound. It takes things a little bit farther away. This might not be an issue with IEM/cans that have their presentation closer to you. But for me the IE80 is already pushing that boundary and I do prefer to use the Studio V without the cable on my IE80s. I'll just have to live with it. But it does sound good  out of the IE80 as well. Just I notice the difference and I don't like it.

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #222 of 830

Quote:
If some sobody really hope to pair the high sensitive IEMs with the hifi player, We recommend ROCOO ( not ROCOO P( power version), ROCOO Is specially designed for the high sensitive IEMs.

Thanks.

No problem. But Jack if you can manage to create a Studio V that sounds just as good as your current Studio V without the hiss issue you will destroy (dominate) in the audiophile DAP market. I can tell you this for sure. Consider making a player of this caliber and having a more competitive price range and you'll rake in much more profit in the long run. Happy listening :).

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #223 of 830
I reviewed the original AMP3Pro, and after discussing at length via private emails about my concerns with the player and being told that I wasn't a proper audiophile and that things like different frequency response performance when earphones are plugged in and when a line or high impedance earphones are plugged in were part of the design. Same with hiss. Same with 100 hours turning to 48 hours - it was all MY fault. Then, I tried a second unit. Same exact thing. 

While I love the idea, the heavy brick design (yes, I even like that), the execution and the fact that they pulled the product after 4 months and no longer supported it to the penniless dissatisfaction of all buyers, was a killer. I tried the Studio I, too, and it was no better, though it was easier to use in some ways. The Roccoo original player was the best of the bunch as a reference player when earphones were used with it, even the stock earphones. Plugged into a home system, the performance between each was very similar.

But then, what do I know? I'm not a good audiophile.

EDIT: my comments are to the AMP3Pro V2 (2010 or so and the original Rocco and Sutdio 1). I assume things haven't changed that much, but I hope not. My problem wasn't the player. I was ready to accept that it can only play very high impedance headphones. In fact, even the ER4s hissed with the AMP3Pro and Studio 1, and even at its relatively high impedance, it induced some (small, but some) bass extension loss. My DJ1Pro (full size Ultrasones 64Ω) hissed with the AMP3PRO and the Studio I, and also lost some bass resolution. Incredible.

Whatever, I expected maybe it is meant for DT880/HD600, etc. only. Fine. My problem is that after mentioning this to Jack, I was told to send the unit back. I did. Same thing I reported. Then, Jack got upset at me. At this point, I hadn't let my concerns hit headfi. I kept them between us. Only after Jack refused to acknowledge that the player hissed, and continued to say that my earphones were the problem, and that my methods of listening were wrong, and then sending a small legion of shilly posters to the forums to praise the HiSound player, did I start to vehemently voice my concerns.

And I voiced them and voiced them. And was torn down on most occasions by people that sounded exactly like Jack, though their login names were many. 

I WANT to believe that HiSound can make a player that is worthy of the money. I like the HM601 for what it is, an audiophile (sound tweaked to Head-direct's tastes). The Studio, AMP3Pro, etc, have yet to convince me and a number of people that there is anything going on in there that is worthy of the money, or that the product does what it promises. Again, I've not heard the newer players. If I find a headfi member who wants to loan me a model, I'd love to be proved wrong.

I know that my opinions will be disregarded by HiSound if they are still along the same lines. Only if I praise its clarity, its beauty, its perfection, will I become an audiophile in the eyes of HiSound. At this point, I'm fine with languishing in my place.

Quote:
I got mine from a review sample (from HiSound Audio) personally and they said I could keep it. Then again, after reviewing their earphones they said I was a very good "audiophile" and loved my reviews.

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #224 of 830

Sorry to hear you've had some bad experiences shigzeo. I must admit the Studio V does have noticeable hiss on very quite passages but other than that I don't hear it during music playback. The sound just sounds so good that I can live with this short coming. I find this player to be superior to the Sflo2 in pretty much every way and the easy UI, long battery life and sturdy design is all icing on the cake. I've heard that the Studio I had more hiss than the current V, not sure if they changed anything or maybe the firmware just FYI.
Quote:
I reviewed the original AMP3Pro, and after discussing at length via private emails about my concerns with the player and being told that I wasn't a proper audiophile and that things like different frequency response performance when earphones are plugged in and when a line or high impedance earphones are plugged in were part of the design. Same with hiss. Same with 100 hours turning to 48 hours - it was all MY fault. Then, I tried a second unit. Same exact thing. 

While I love the idea, the heavy brick design (yes, I even like that), the execution and the fact that they pulled the product after 4 months and no longer supported it to the penniless dissatisfaction of all buyers, was a killer. I tried the Studio I, too, and it was no better, though it was easier to use in some ways. The Roccoo original player was the best of the bunch as a reference player when earphones were used with it, even the stock earphones. Plugged into a home system, the performance between each was very similar.

But then, what do I know? I'm not a good audiophile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back