Hisoundaudio STUDIO-V Review
Oct 24, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #91 of 830

Quote:
actually the newer version arrived at my country for us to demo this dap.
and id say it only froze to me once or twice whenever i shut it down.

buggy? 
definitely a NO.
its not.

i agree to mark here.

the studio plays like a normal player, in normal mode, shuffle or random and repeat.
those were the only choices available.
the good thing here is you can change the type of sound (one for ba and one for dynamic).

I currently the exact same unit Pinoyman had.

I would say the interface is a bit buggy.

I used it "normally" and it has frozen on me once when I was fiddling with the buttons trying to figure out what does what. This never happened again once I figured out how to use it.
Another bug that happens all the time and can easily be replicated:

Use the Line-IN with anything ( a headphone, a mic, another mp3 player, whatever) and the sound will switch over tot he Line In. Unplug it, and it'll be stuck there forever untli you turn it off. Tsk tsk, really pathetic bug for something that is already painstakingly simple.

as for the sound... I disagree that it is neutral.  It's a bit more on the bright side, with sparkling highs. Just slightly though. It's not glaringly bright.
Soundstage I have to say is very compressed. It's a very forward, aggressive sounding DAP.  Tight, full-bass, very nice and forward mids, sparkly highs. Imaging is good but I'm not particularly impressed by the soundstage, which was very small.

My take is that it sounds very similar to the RSA Mustang. Difference being this is a bit grainier and more edgy compared to the Mustang which is slightly smoother and creamier. I am running both an iMod 5.5G into the Mustang, and a Nano 6G -> Mustang (with the 6G being slightly weaker in audio gain, but a bit tighter all around, iMod is a bit warmer and bassier). But the sound quality of its amp at least is very comparable to RSA levels of amping.

I also tried the iMod as source LOD -> Studio V, thus using the V as an amp. Pretty nice actually. And this is how I compared it with the Mustang.  But I honestly would not buy this player, it sounds good, but not enough for me to fork over its asking price, even with a 30% sponsor discount. The interface is bad enough that I would avoid it entirely. 

Oct 29, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #93 of 830

Quote:
^yep, the only problem that keeps me from buying this is the price.

Same here. I may have gotten it as a review sample, but it's not worth the money as I concluded in my final review.

Oct 30, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #96 of 830
After a week with the V I've figured out how to get around it's interface better, so I've figured out how to get out of the Line In loop I mentioned earlier. Now that I've figured out how to do most stuff the UI is indeed pretty stable, you just need to know how to use it.

It's still a bad UI through and the player is still too expensive IMO. Much like the RSA amps that I think it sounds similar to.

I still think it makes a great amp for a more capable DAP, and when you think about it it's around the price of an RSA amp... With comparable SQ. If people can buy RSA amps they can buy this player which doubles as a very capable amp.

Oct 30, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #97 of 830

Quote:
After a week with the V I've figured out how to get around it's interface better, so I've figured out how to get out of the Line In loop I mentioned earlier. Now that I've figured out how to do most stuff the UI is indeed pretty stable, you just need to know how to use it.
It's still a bad UI through and the player is still too expensive IMO. Much like the RSA amps that I think it sounds similar to.
I still think it makes a great amp for a more capable DAP, and when you think about it it's around the price of an RSA amp... With comparable SQ. If people can buy RSA amps they can buy this player which doubles as a very capable amp.

Hisoundaudio, if you are reading this:
Is Hisoundaudio Studio-V the 5th edition of the players based on their same platform? If you count AMP3 Pro , that should be 7th edition ? From what I learned, this player still suffers similar hardware and software problems. It is not pretty, people came here begging for support and firmware; is it really that difficult to put firmware at your website? No customer support was one of reason why AMP3 went sour; no to mention the shrilling. Have you learned ?
Hisoundaudio, if you can not support your oversea customers, please, please focus on your local market -- expand to oversea market after both hardware and software are stable. Same goes to your earphones, my PAA-1 from your early days is still good; but your flagship Live (from this year) has been a tragic for me - (my friend sent it to me from China), the first pairs literally fell apart within two weeks, my friend had it replaced two times and decided not to waste our time. Why keep releasing new earphones, when your flagship did not hold at all ?
Good luck and best wish.

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #102 of 830
I Have, but I don't understand wich is dynamic firewire and wich is armature firmware  and if everytime I want change firmware I must everytime reset and upgrade the player. Excuse for my english

Users who are viewing this thread

Back