Hisoundaudio STUDIO-V Review
Jul 8, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #61 of 830
Hello,

I also have a Studio V and all I can say is that, compared to the s:flo2 that is supposed to sound good because it has "better" internal components, to me, the sound of the Studio V is definitively more natural and lively no matter what's inside...

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #62 of 830

Quote:
did they end up digging out the amp circuit design and verifying it's class a? thanks for the link btw. although it is 100+ pages
biggrin.gif

The more I think about it, if this thing has a Class A amp, it would be really frickin hot, and 100 hours of battery life would be nigh impossible.

And from what I've read about the Sigmatel chip is that unlike the typically warmer Rockchip solution, is much more analytical, and the people at Hisoundaudio probably brought the fullest out of that chip.

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #63 of 830

Quote:
did they end up digging out the amp circuit design and verifying it's class a? thanks for the link btw. although it is 100+ pages
biggrin.gif

I posted on that erji.net thread before, but lose interest because of how many junk posts in there. Anyway, the OP seems to 'conclude' his finding as Ishcabible did, as it must be really hot and inefficient if it is a class A (which it is not). However, HiSound responded on another thread about the issue, stating they are not using a pure class A design but a kind of super class A (or some called them pseudo class A) design. I am not an EE so I am not going to try to explain it. There are however some info regarding super class A design online if you google around.

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #64 of 830
The only sensible type of amplification, if they want to use fancy class names, is Class D, which they very well could have gotten away with.

I did some research about the tech:

Quote:
A class-AB architecture for single-stage operational amplifiers is presented. The structure employs a switched-capacitor level shifter to apply the signal to both sink and source output transistors to create the class-AB behavior. Using this structure, the current mirror circuit of traditional class-AB structures can be eliminated. Thus some power can be saved and the operation frequency can be increased. Simulation results of a fast-settling telescopic-cascode op-amp employing this pseudo-class-AB technique confirm the effectiveness of the approach to reduce the power consumption. This approach can be applied to the first stage of a two-stage op-amp as well, to increase the slew rate. The simulated 12-bit 100-Ms/s sample-and-hold amplifier employing the proposed pseudo-class-AB telescopic-cascode op-amp consumes only 16 mW from 3.3 V power supply.

That makes a lot more sense...

But where does the heat dissipation go? I assume it generates much less heat, but still, AB amps get pretty hot... Unless I'm being stupid and not realizing the less power=less heat. Here's what I got from Yamaha's site:

Quote:
Until now, the Class AB system has been the norm for power amplifiers. This system offers a simple circuit configuration and superb sound quality. However, its drawback is that its output stage always requires driving at the voltage for maximum output, resulting in a great deal of heat dissipation.
Various methods have been developed to overcome this drawback in Class AB systems. Class H and Class D are typical of these developments, but they have their problems as well.

Which again makes me wonder why they didn't just say it has a Class D amp to stop all questioning. It's much less "impressive sounding," but better than getting some people being skeptical to their claims.

Disclaimer: I am a 16 year old kid who knows all he knows about electronics from reading about it online because my school doesn't teach us this stuff. I am probably totally off, so the only credible parts of this post are the quotes. Still, I'm skeptical of even a pseudo Class A amp. The only thing that matters is that it sounds good though.

Jul 9, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #65 of 830
From my experienced with amp3 ver.2 has very powerfull and natural sounds, but it is clearly not smooth enough compares to Sony x 1050, anyone can compares Sony X with the studio V?

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #66 of 830
Just received the Studio V.  I have been letting it run and the battery lasted 4 days straight!  The UI seems better than the Studio by a bit, the hiss is dramatically lower, but the background still isn't black with high sensitivity IEMs and the jacks have been fixed.  I haven't listened much as of yet nor have I tried any uSD cards in it.

Aug 22, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #67 of 830
FWIW I had problems with using cards in this machine.  While the player would read the card, having the card in caused other problems, like a short skip at the beginning of each song, static, and just general weirdness.  When I pulled the card out, it played just fine.

Aug 22, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #69 of 830
Yeah, I ove mine, not enough internal storage though for all my FLAC files, gonna get an extra chip soon.

Aug 27, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #70 of 830
I am curious by the well received sig of this player despite what may or not be inside the internals of this machine from someone currently used to the Sony X sound I am experiencing from it's digital amp, but again am sceptical at the same  with certain issues with the Studio V seems to have and wonder if anyone else has experienced the sd card problem as RESeynour has as for it to be viable for me I would have to use the expandable memory which leads me to.... does anyone know what the maximum storage card would be that his player can handle, I am taking a guess at maybe a 32gb sd card?

Would be grateful also if anyone has used this with JH16pros yet and their impressions on that combo (including hiss volume also)  and if anyone who owns both can compare in depth a bit with the Sony X would be great. 

Sep 4, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #71 of 830
[size=16pt][/size]

[size=16pt][/size]

We have got the certification of the certifiable testing institute. The experimental of the test indicated that there is 5mA static standby current with the earphone amplifier module of Studio. According to the law of Ohm that P=I(square)*2R ( P is Power, W, I is current A, R is impedance.
Take the example of working with PK1 earphone. The impedance of PK1 is 150 OHM, According to the Ohm law, the result of Studio is: 0.005X 0.005x(2X150)=0.0075W, It is 7.5mw. Assume that the Class A amplifier has the efficiency of 35%, The power to work with PK1 will be: 7.5X35%=2.62MW. While the testing result of Studio has 5MW current. That means it is powerful to power the PK1 earphones.
By the way, you see, the advantage of the Class A circuit is not at the out put power number, but at the “ propelling power” and “controlling power”.
Above have clearly explain why Studio has the excellent sound quality and super long working time of the battery.[size=16pt] [/size]

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #74 of 830
Hello,

I really don't understand why here on head-fi, only a few persons like or know Hisoundaudio Studio V while for example in France (Tellement Nomades, Generation mp3) a lot of audio enthusiasts or audiophile people like it a lot...

...For this size, all I can say is that I think that there's no player with such a good SQ, with so great design and a so huge battery autonomy.... For me, It's the best compromise between SQ, battery life, design and portability... The firmware could be better but for me, it does everything right, don't need more...

Others players could be better when speaking about SQ alone but none of them has a so big portability and a so big battery life...

You can have a real good sound from Ipod+amp but for those like me that don't want to carry to much things in the pocket, the Studio V is really the way to go.

It would be nice if people help a little company like Hisound to grow and not to stay with prejudices due to some picture taken inside the player some times ago...

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #75 of 830
-deleted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back