Hisoundaudio STUDIO-V Review
May 9, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #31 of 830
Dear SVYR,
It is obvious that you hadn't a chance to spend more than several minutes in a recording studio during recording sessions and now you are enough  prepotent to teach me a lesson about my point of view regarding my qualifications to judge about sound quality of modern portable audio players. Even more, you are suspicious about my as you say imaginary superstar friend which is clear sign to me that you don't have an opportunity in this forum to read posts from professionals who have number of years experience working in recording studio and knows in person experienced musicians and a couple of them are superstars. Or maybe I have it wrong, maybe you are such musically educated and experienced and in such case find my apology.
I suggest that you should spend more time researching on the net and you will find that weakest points of every single DAP are: integrated phono amp chip, same battery powering D/A converter and phono amp, and  large touch screen which directly influences amplifying chip. Approximately 80 components in every DAP can disturb  sound quality. Certainly it is not easy to make small unit such as DAP ( unlike large CD players) and have ideal sound, clean and detail.
Eh, your words : What sounds 'great' to you might sound like utter horse manure to someone else...  really provoke me. Great sound is simply a great sound, nothing else for everybody ( certainly depending on a music genre they listen). It is same if I say that Beethoven is bad composer or Renoir is bad painter. It is not personal taste in a question, it is general opinion indeed. I suggest you pay a visit to recording studio, where everything with regards to music and GREAT sound starts. It worth every minute you spend, trust me.

May 9, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #32 of 830
Dear SVYR,
It is obvious that you hadn't a chance to spend more than several minutes in a recording studio during recording sessions and now you are enough  prepotent to teach me a lesson about my point of view regarding my qualifications to judge about sound quality of modern portable audio players. Even more, you are suspicious about my as you say imaginary superstar friend which is clear sign to me that you don't have an opportunity in this forum to read posts from professionals who have number of years experience working in recording studio and knows in person experienced musicians and a couple of them are superstars. Or maybe I have it wrong, maybe you are such musically educated and experienced and in such case find my apology.
I suggest that you should spend more time researching on the net and you will find that weakest points of every single DAP are: integrated phono amp chip, same battery powering D/A converter and phono amp, and  large touch screen which directly influences amplifying chip. Approximately 80 components in every DAP can disturb  sound quality. Certainly it is not easy to make small unit such as DAP ( unlike large CD players) and have ideal sound, clean and detail.
Eh, your words : What sounds 'great' to you might sound like utter horse manure to someone else...  really provoke me. Great sound is simply a great sound, nothing else for everybody ( certainly depending on a music genre they listen). It is same if I say that Beethoven is bad composer or Renoir is bad painter. It is not personal taste in a question, it is general opinion indeed. I suggest you pay a visit to recording studio, where everything with regards to music and GREAT sound starts. It worth every minute you spend, trust me.

'cool story, bro' :D. Especially in places where the 2-3 posts above don't follow first order logic and are too full of generalities and false attribution (placing the words rockstar, studio, high end amp model X and baaad portable players XYZ, great player Studio-V...Make it look good but association which is not necessarily the case :D ). (stating you like it for polar opposite qualities (saying you value detailed sound in one post and musicality in another, etc), stating it's hard to design a good DAC, but then saying it's pointless to open Studio-V up and assess what it's made of, and whether it's worth the price tag,... etc)
It's great that you enjoy the unit, but until we see some RMAA measurements with different impedance HP and at different vol settings, I'd really be quite suspicious about blanket praising. (or at least people reporting using the unit with good results with a range of IEMs and full-size HP)
E.g. it could be fine with 32ohm low impedance HP, but THD+N can easily spike to UN-listenable at near max output if you use higher impedance HP, since the unit advertises to use a class-a amp and people would be tempted to.
I'd certainly refrain from saying that a portable player can have universally appealing sound for everyone ('great sound is great sound'). It's great that you try to romanticize equipment, but I don't subscribe to that :D

I want to know whether this is still a $50 chipod sigmatel reference design with a cheap class-a hp out stage on top and a huge li-poly battery and whether it measures as such. Consequently, it also matters since the firmware and UI quality for those is generally very flaky.

May 10, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #33 of 830
I must admit, now you caught me! Yes, English is not my native language, BTW I live in Europe, and maybe my expressions are not precise Aussie.
I just want to clear one issue: do you open all equipment you use? Did you open your laptop and  see what Dell or HP or.... put inside? Did you open your oven, your TV set, or maybe your speakers? Why would you so desperately open one PORTABLE player? Do you really plan to open your iPod or iPhone or HTC or.. and check how much all chips inside worth? Please, don't confirm it. This is serious forum indeed.
I am extremely satisfied with Studio V and will continue buying Hisoundaudio products because I love how their products sound despite they are not famous brand worldwide still. Next product I would like to have is one of their earphones.
Now, I need to go to work....

May 10, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #34 of 830

Quote:
 Did you open your laptop and  see what Dell or HP or.... put inside? Did you open your oven, your TV set, or maybe your speakers? Why would you so desperately open one PORTABLE player?

Yes. I open up my speakers, mp3 players, consoles, laptop, pc and recently I have dismembered my smartphone because I was curious. I don't think this is strange behaviour. I guess it's what people who have a strong interest in technology do. I also want to know what I'm buying without blindly consuming the newest of the new. You're gonna have a hard time here buddy. Most of the people in here attack their latest purchase with a screwdriver before even turning it on for the first time. At least I do. 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
 This is serious forum indeed.

Serious forum is serious. 
redface.gif

May 11, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #35 of 830

A HIFI player is designed for listening, not for watching. If some one want to doubt something, the best way is to have it and listen to see what is the problem.

With the same components, the audio products will have  different performance. Of couse the price is quite difference.

May 11, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #36 of 830
Frankly I have gave up dismantling my phones, players, speakers...after I destroyed a few of them. In the end my curiosity didn't help a lot. I couldn't change anything to make them perform better.
As for the price of components it was published recently in the US print: all components in iPhone 4 worth around US$ 90.
I wish they invested just a bit more and make it sound as it looks.

May 11, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #37 of 830
I must admit, now you caught me! Yes, English is not my native language, BTW I live in Europe, and maybe my expressions are not precise Aussie.
I just want to clear one issue: do you open all equipment you use? Did you open your laptop and  see what Dell or HP or.... put inside? Did you open your oven, your TV set, or maybe your speakers? Why would you so desperately open one PORTABLE player? Do you really plan to open your iPod or iPhone or HTC or.. and check how much all chips inside worth? Please, don't confirm it. This is serious forum indeed.
I am extremely satisfied with Studio V and will continue buying Hisoundaudio products because I love how their products sound despite they are not famous brand worldwide still. Next product I would like to have is one of their earphones.
Now, I need to go to work....

laptops and phones and many other players actually publish what's inside, or you can easily put software to display the hardware specs making the need to take them apart redundant. (alternatively, they're popular enough for somebody else to have taken them apart/post pics by the time you get one :D )

May 11, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #38 of 830

To debate the components is meaningless. For every factory can buy the same components, but the sound of their products are too different. Hisound Audio has applied the SIGMATEL chip for 2 years, the sound quality is granted by many audiophiles. So, I would like to compared and discuss STUDIo-v with some players. by this way, it can explain something.

May 12, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #39 of 830
I agree with you FATMAN. They all buy components from same factories. However the trick is (maybe ingenuity) to use well known components and make their player sounding so great ( different at least). I am curious how Hisoundaudio engineered their Studio V to play music 100 hours with one battery and with output signal three times higher than any other similar player? That's amazing.

May 12, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #40 of 830
I agree with you FATMAN. They all buy components from same factories. However the trick is (maybe ingenuity) to use well known components and make their player sounding so great ( different at least). I am curious how Hisoundaudio engineered their Studio V to play music 100 hours with one battery and with output signal three times higher than any other similar player? That's amazing.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/551442/hisoundaudio-studio-v-review/15#post_7445971
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/551442/hisoundaudio-studio-v-review/15#post_7446042
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/551442/hisoundaudio-studio-v-review/15#post_7447285

lol, we've already been over that and what it means... 100h is the quoted over unrealistic conditions... Every manufacturer does it. 50-60 is apparently realistic though.

Jun 7, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #41 of 830
So, erm, I just got mine in, how do you set it up? And does it work with AAC?

Jul 1, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #42 of 830
Same question ... i find the two firmwares on the local disk of the player, but I don't see how to apply one or the other firmware ! I tried the weird updater.exe thing but does not seem to change anything.

Any help would be appreciated

many thanks

Jul 1, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #43 of 830
sorry just a super breif reply befor a fall asleep.

the updater thingc does it respod like the player has been detected?  i had a bother with it but couldnt be sure if it was becouse im forever fiddleing with the comp.  not sure what i did then it suddenly began to register the stodio as being pugged in and then it could procceed.

i do assume you have the firmwares and the instruction word doc?  i realise that its half in chineese is somewhat off putting but once you get it going it all makes sence.  just follow the steps.

if that doesnt do it please get back to me

Jul 3, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #44 of 830

A HIFI player is designed for listening, not for watching. If some one want to doubt something, the best way is to have it and listen to see what is the problem.

With the same components, the audio products will have  different performance. Of couse the price is quite difference.

Can you please provide proof regarding so-called "class-A" ? Hot debates are still going over Chinese forums - it has been disastrous, and very ugly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back