Hisoundaudio STUDIO-V Review
May 29, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #481 of 830
Quote:
Just auditioned the Colourfly C4 as well as HM601(Thanks to Jaben Singapore!). To my relief, i still prefer the Studio V over the two.

The C4 is definitely not a huge improvement over the Studio V. Anyone wants me to post some impressions?

never get the chance to listen to C4 but I used to own both hm602 and studio V, please post some impressions.

May 29, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #482 of 830
Quote:
Just auditioned the Colourfly C4 as well as HM601(Thanks to Jaben Singapore!). To my relief, i still prefer the Studio V over the two.

The C4 is definitely not a huge improvement over the Studio V. Anyone wants me to post some impressions?

Yes please. Also, Is there a hiss issue with your V?

May 29, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #483 of 830
My Studio V has prominent hiss. The Rocoo BA doesn't have a large hiss issue though and may be a solution for you. I do hear some hiss on the BA still although its not nearly as much as the Studio V. I'd say less than half the amount of hiss on the Studio V. This is with 2 Rocoo BAs mind you, so I don't think the problem will be fixed for me unless Jack is able to do a further revision. If however he was able to get rid of all the hiss, the Rocoo BA would be my number one portable (even over the DX100).

Keep in mind other headfiers do not pick up the hiss I and a few other headfiers are. It could just be a case that we are more sensitive to hiss (lucky us, yeah right)....
rolleyes.gif

May 30, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #484 of 830
Well okay guys, here are my impressions of the Studio V (Dynamic Firmware) compared to the Colourfly C4 (Normal EQ).

Note: I only had around 45 minutes with the C4 unit so please take my comparison with a pinch of salt.

First, lets start off with the highs, the highs on the C4 is clear, detailed but not emphasized much, (perhaps to give the balanced feeling?) Coming from the studio v, the C4's highs sound warm and yet not as detailed as the studio v's highs. The studio v's highs on dynamic firmware tend to be quite emphasized but frankly, i have come to love that aspect of the player.

The mids on the C4 is warm. It has slightly laid-back vocals while the studio v has more forward sounding vocals as well as being much more detailed. The C4 had a more musical feeling then the studio v.

The lows of the C4 has noticeably more impact as well as quantity. It does not have the punchy/tight bass compared to the studio v. One issue i had with the studio v was about it's bass. While bass light, i felt the studio v was lacking in sub-bass. The C4's bass was full and extended deep.

Soundstage wise, Studio V has slightly better depth and noticeably wider as well as more spacious soundstage. Not only that, but i felt studio v had better center imaging. Truth be told, i did not expect the studio v to hold it's own soundstage wise compared to the c4. This was quite surprising.

Hiss was practically non-existent on the C4 while it was quite noticeable on the studio v, especially in quiet passages.

Battery life: C4 has around 6 hours or so of battery while for me, with normal usage the studio v has around 45 hours. A big enough difference for me to look to the studio as a portable player.

Looks wise, the C4 is much much bulkier than the studio v as can be easily seen from the pictures. Weight wise, the C4 is slightly heavier. Overall both has the 'high-end' look but C4-with it's walnut wood and brushed brass, clearly beats the studio v in the department of physical looks.

As of now, i can see why if only Hisoundaudio fixed the studio v's hiss issue, it could be a killer player. Seriously, IMO if it can hold it's own against the C4, this player has the potential to go very very far.

Jun 2, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #487 of 830
Cryo, if I may ask, how did you get the Studio-V in singapore? I managed to try out the Studio Jaben had on display (but not for sale) and it sounded  amazing with my GR07, apart from the hissing. I have a C2 at the moment and hisoundaudio is looking to be the "next step", apart from maybe a 64gb ipod touch with the FLAC player app. 

Jun 9, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #490 of 830
EDITED: Found my answer :)

Jun 24, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #491 of 830
Once in a while, my Studio V sounds off. Like there a lower volume, resulting in less dynamics.

Sounds great again after pressing the reset button. Anyone else experience this?

Jun 24, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #492 of 830
I've noticed this when I start the player while it is on 0 volume. It seems to take the dynamics away and you have to raise the amp volume higher. Putting the volume to at least 1 and restarting the player fixes this. Not sure if this is a bug where you get both the BA and Dynamic firmware? I thought the BA firmware also sounded a bit lifeless as it does when this phenomena happens on the V :p

Jun 24, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #493 of 830
Now that you mention it, it may be a Dynamic and BA firmware glitch. Will do some serious listening the next time it happens. I'll update sometime later.
Thanks Lee.

Oh and just a warning to anyone else who is using the Studio V. When it is charging and you are listening to music, do not fiddle with the earphone plug. For me, when the plug reaches a certain angle, there is a very loud 'POP' sound and the player restarts. Extremely irritating

Edit(Update):
It happens to me when i start the player at volume 5 and play music straight from resource manager.
Anyway, it sure sounds like BA firmware to me. Actually if you think about it. I really like this glitch. Can switch to BA firmware without going through the whole firmware update process. Saves time!! Absolutely love it.

Jun 24, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #494 of 830
Here's a question: Why do people have a problem with charging a player once a day? If through extended play you make it from when you first start using it to the end of the day, why is that a problem?

Jun 24, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #495 of 830
Quote:
Once in a while, my Studio V sounds off. Like there a lower volume, resulting in less dynamics.

Sounds great again after pressing the reset button. Anyone else experience this?

Sorry for hearing the problem. We assume the firmware with your player has some problem when installed, please PM me and give me your email account, We will send you a new firmware to upgrade the broken one.

Thanks for  your feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back