Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review
Oct 25, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #541 of 1,483
I recently received my Studio back but the battery is dead and won't charge. Also when I connect the charger there seems to be power but no sound will come out. Right now it is a pretty gold brick.

Oct 25, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #542 of 1,483
Does the light come on when you plug it in?  I know it took a very long time to charge mine the first time, and to charge it from "almost" dead.
Oh and it takes a lot longer when plugged into USB on the computer than when plugged into the wall.

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #544 of 1,483
If the lights are on it should be charging.  There is a procedure in the manual on pages 38 for resetting, and 47 and 48 for trouble shooting.
It says it could take up to 8 hours for full charge (red light will go out when it is fully charged).  It also says to charge it at least three hours if the battery appears dead.  Page 48 has details on how to deal with a 'frozen' player.

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #545 of 1,483

Which software do you use to rip to 24 bit WAV and can it convert FLAC to WAV and if so is there a loss in sound quality?

I use Audacity to record the LPs, it can also export as almost anything
So if I need to change the file format of a needledrop I would go back to Audacity 
and export it again.

I use Foobar to convert from FLAC to WAV, There should be no loss in quality when going from lossless 
to lossless, and I certainly don't hear any. 

Oct 28, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #546 of 1,483
The Studio V can also play 24/48 wav, one of head fi's little secrets.
I now rip my LPs to 24/48, sounds superb

Does the Third Anniverary play 24 bit WAV bit for bit or does it down sample to 16 bits? How is the sound quality compared to 16? If that is the case then Colorfly is incorrect on their claim that the C4 was the first Hi def Dap on the market

Oct 29, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #547 of 1,483
Does the Third Anniverary play 24 bit WAV bit for bit or does it down sample to 16 bits? How is the sound quality compared to 16? If that is the case then Colorfly is incorrect on their claim that the C4 was the first Hi def Dap on the market

It can only play 24/48. So you have to downsample files that are over 24/48 down to 24/48. The quality of the sound will ultimately depend on the quality of the recording and how well it was mastered. Although 24 bit material also plays a part in all that. Keep in mind when you downsample make sure you keep your originals and make a copy that has been downsampled :wink:.

Good luck.

Oct 29, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #548 of 1,483
It can only play 24/48. So you have to downsample files that are over 24/48 down to 24/48. The quality of the sound will ultimately depend on the quality of the recording and how well it was mastered. Although 24 bit material also plays a part in all that. Keep in mind when you downsample make sure you keep your originals and make a copy that has been downsampled :wink:.

Good luck.

Gotcha. What I meant to say, how would you compare sq of the 3rd at. 24/48 with the same sample as the flagship dx100, ak120 or hifiman 901? I guess close but with some difference due to the hardware

Oct 30, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #550 of 1,483
Ack! My Studio V 3rd Ann. might be bricked!

So, I purchased this player very lightly used from a fellow on the auction site.

After having installed the 'Dynamic' firmware on it - which sounded nice directly through the player, but terrible when set to HDMS and connected to my desktop amp (bass became muddy and distorted) - I decided to try to put the Studio Original firmware back onto it.

For whatever reason the Studio Original application wouldn't recognize the player when attached to my PC - the Studio BA and Studio Dynamic firmware update software would run fine.

I then got it into my genius mind to just copy the driver files for the Original to one of the other folders (I chose the Studio BA folder) and use that installer to update the firmware.

It ran fine - but afterward my computer didn't recognize that the player was attached.  Now it wont turn on.

It wont turn on after reset, it isn't recognized when connected to a PC / Mac, none of the troubleshooting techniques work.  Nothing lights up when plugged into a computer OR the wall adapter.

Did I successfully brick it?

Oct 30, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #551 of 1,483
Could be. The Original FW was never intended for that player. HDMS probably had too much output V for the input of your amp. Should have just used the volume control. 

That said, you may still be able to re-install the DT FW. The SOC is hard to brick though you may have pulled it off. Hit the reset. Hold the up and only the up button while connecting to your PC and wait 10 seconds before releasing it. Start the DT updater and see if it discovers the unit. If it does, I'd format it before beginning the update process. Good luck. If that doesn't work you'll need to contact Jack as they'll have to flash it at the factory.

Oct 30, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #552 of 1,483
Is there a new firmware for the Anv 3? I have not updated mine and it was purchased back in July while I was in China. 

Oct 30, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #553 of 1,483
  Could be. The Original FW was never intended for that player. HDMS probably had too much output V for the input of your amp. Should have just used the volume control. 

That said, you may still be able to re-install the DT FW. The SOC is hard to brick though you may have pulled it off. Hit the reset. Hold the up and only the up button while connecting to your PC and wait 10 seconds before releasing it. Start the DT updater and see if it discovers the unit. If it does, I'd format it before beginning the update process. Good luck. If that doesn't work you'll need to contact Jack as they'll have to flash it at the factory.

Thanks a tonne!  I tried this once earlier and it didn't work, but after buggering around with it a bit more I was able to get the DT Firmware back on it after following your advice.

And yes, I know now that the SQ issue was more a pairing problem with my amp than anything else.  I'll keep the volume down on the player from now on!

It's working like a charm - a functional brick instead of a bricked brick.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #555 of 1,483

Thanks a tonne!  I tried this once earlier and it didn't work, but after buggering around with it a bit more I was able to get the DT Firmware back on it after following your advice.

And yes, I know now that the SQ issue was more a pairing problem with my amp than anything else.  I'll keep the volume down on the player from now on!

It's working like a charm - a functional brick instead of a bricked brick.

It's like I said, they are really difficult to brick. Reset gets them to ignore the FW and allows upload mode if you proceed correctly. It's why I thought it worth another go if it was something you did in the FW. Happy I could help. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back