Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review
Oct 22, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #526 of 1,483
  Hey lee730, I'll take your word on using a 32gb card over 64gb. I really care about sound quality (using Senn HD600's).

What brand Micro SD card would you recommend? SanDisk Ultra 32GB Class 10 microSD?

Cheers

I just use the Class 4 Sandisk 32 GB cards. After the issues I had on the Class 10 64 GB cards I was worried if it would possibly be an issue on their newly updated cards lol :p. I think the Class 4 is slightly cheaper as well. They are black and not that funky gray and red.

I also use WAV on the players. Not sure why but it just sounds more spacious to my ears. The sound is also slightly thicker overall for some strange reason. Like it has more bass presence. Not night and day mind you but once I picked up on those subtleties it's hard to ignore it :). Let's just say the sound overall is more natural to my ears. Effortless even.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #527 of 1,483
Maybe you're preferring Wavs as there is no compression on the tracks. To my knowledge, FLAC is lossless but the files are compressed and they decompress while playing. In that process there may be bits that are not getting fully uncompressed. Just a theory and could be wrong.

For the micro SD cards; you didn't notice a substantial lag in file loading going from class 10 to class 4?

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #529 of 1,483
  Maybe you're preferring Wavs as there is no compression on the tracks. To my knowledge, FLAC is lossless but the files are compressed and they decompress while playing. In that process there may be bits that are not getting fully uncompressed. Just a theory and could be wrong.

For the micro SD cards; you didn't notice a substantial lag in file loading going from class 10 to class 4?

It will still be bit correct but there will be extra buffers and processing.

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #531 of 1,483
It shouldn't matter a bit if FLAC is converted before being played. It shouldn't matter anyway but I agree with Lee but find FLAC sounding VG on the A3 so I don't make a big deal about it on that player. Lee and I have found that different ways of loading the FW has an effect on the overall sig so the way I like it accommodates FLAC pretty well. One nice thing about using WAV is that the anniversary 3 can plat 24/48 wav files and I prefer downconverting HiDef to a multiple. 48/96/192, 44/88/176. Flac tops out at 24/44. 24/48 is a fabulous portable format for those with HiDef libraries that want to keep most of that goodness on the go.

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #532 of 1,483
The Studio V can also play 24/48 wav, one of head fi's little secrets.
I now rip my LPs to 24/48, sounds superb

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #533 of 1,483
Ahhh man at this state i can't really decide !
3rd anv or DX50 ?! Someone pls help in details ! ):

I have the Studio V 3rd and had the DX50 for a couple of weeks. I gave the DX50 away to my brother in law. Now consider that i only use wav, use Fitear IEMs and only listen to albums so i don't care about slick UIs etc. Also i rip all my albums as raw so the whole album plays as a single track, therefore gapless playback is also a non issue. Also, i did not pay full price for my Studio..

I reckon the studio has better bass, more air, a more present midrange and the treble is definitely better..The differences are all subtle but real. Also take into account that when i had the DX50 it was not with current firmware and according to the DX50 thread the sound has been improved. And the last thing is that i am using the Studio 3rd with the firmware mod...

Cheers,

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #535 of 1,483

Nope there was no difference in read times. I think Class 10 and 4 are for write times? I could be wrong. But regardless that had no impact on the read speed on any of my devices....

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #536 of 1,483

Which software do you use to rip to 24 bit WAV and can it convert FLAC to WAV and if so is there a loss in sound quality?

There is no loss in sound quality when converting from WAV to FLAC and FLAC to WAV. Basically you have all the bits still and can unzip the FLAC file back to its original state in WAV with 0 loss in quality. Just WAV takes up more space and most would rather use FLAC for that benefit plus tag support. You can use Foobar to convert between the formats. I use it all the time especially for 24 bit material. Foobar has quickly become one of my favorite programs, along with Media Monkey, and mp3tag. I also have Jriver 18 for tagging my DSD files.

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #537 of 1,483
  Hi All,

First time poster here and owner of a brand new Studio V 3rd Anniversary edition, bought based on the reviews I read on here.

So this comes with the DT-DYNAMIC 2013.01.15 firmware preinstalled which I guess means I am on the latest version although I am somewhat confused after reading many posts on here and not entriely sure. The HiSoundAudio website is of little use unless you understand Chinese which I don't and the slightly comical instructions are not specific to the device.

I have a 64GB class 10 Sandisk SDXC card formatted in FAT32 and loaded with approximately 58GB of music.

Gripe no. 1 - every time I turn the player on I get a message saying 'Initializing CMI Please Wait' which lasts for roughly 5 minutes. This happens each time I turn the thing on even though I have made no changes to the contents of the memory card. Is this right?

Gripe no. 2  - so it finishes doing its thing and I'm ready to listen to some music. I browse my folders using the Resource Manager and if I go to a particular album the songs are in a different order even though they are named 01-.....mp3, 02-.....mp3 etc. Again is this right and is there anyway around this at all? I mean it is 2013 and I've got a problem with the sort order of files?? It seems to be sorting by date modified rather than name but who would actually want it this way? Surely there must be a way to change the way it sorts?

I knew the UI wasn't the best having read several reviews but this is completely laughable. I have a lot of dance mixes so listening to them out of sequence is not an option for me. Coming from an iPod Touch I must say I'm surprised by how basic it is.

I really hope that there are solutions to these gripes otherwise I think I'm going to have to return it, despite the awesome quality of the sound it produces.

thanks

I am still on firmware version DT DYNAMIC 2011.12.23. What firmware version are most of you guys using these days?

Oct 25, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #538 of 1,483
  I am still on firmware version DT DYNAMIC 2011.12.23. What firmware version are most of you guys using these days?

Same. The later ones added features but had the library issues described. I think very few got out with that FW. They should be changed to what you're using so you're good.

Oct 25, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #539 of 1,483
  Same. The later ones added features but had the library issues described. I think very few got out with that FW. They should be changed to what you're using so you're good.

That's what I thought, just checking. I subscribed to this thread long ago, but I noticed that I had missed several posts and just wanted to make sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back