Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review
Oct 15, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #496 of 1,483
  Hi All,

First time poster here and owner of a brand new Studio V 3rd Anniversary edition, bought based on the reviews I read on here.

So this comes with the DT-DYNAMIC 2013.01.15 firmware preinstalled which I guess means I am on the latest version although I am somewhat confused after reading many posts on here and not entriely sure. The HiSoundAudio website is of little use unless you understand Chinese which I don't and the slightly comical instructions are not specific to the device.

I have a 64GB class 10 Sandisk SDXC card formatted in FAT32 and loaded with approximately 58GB of music.

Gripe no. 1 - every time I turn the player on I get a message saying 'Initializing CMI Please Wait' which lasts for roughly 5 minutes. This happens each time I turn the thing on even though I have made no changes to the contents of the memory card. Is this right?

Gripe no. 2  - so it finishes doing its thing and I'm ready to listen to some music. I browse my folders using the Resource Manager and if I go to a particular album the songs are in a different order even though they are named 01-.....mp3, 02-.....mp3 etc. Again is this right and is there anyway around this at all? I mean it is 2013 and I've got a problem with the sort order of files?? It seems to be sorting by date modified rather than name but who would actually want it this way? Surely there must be a way to change the way it sorts?

I knew the UI wasn't the best having read several reviews but this is completely laughable. I have a lot of dance mixes so listening to them out of sequence is not an option for me. Coming from an iPod Touch I must say I'm surprised by how basic it is.

I really hope that there are solutions to these gripes otherwise I think I'm going to have to return it, despite the awesome quality of the sound it produces.

thanks

Sounds like what was happening to me when I first got the player.  I cleaned up my tags and then all was good to go.  it still does take about a minute or so to start up from scratch, though.  My files are flac BTW so larger than the mp3's you are probably using.

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #497 of 1,483
Usually the card will initialise once when you boot after adding files for a decent amount of time, and sometimes a second time on the second boot, however after that your player should boot in around 60 seconds. Try hooking it up to PC and deleting the 'system' folder on the internal memory, eject and power on allowing the data base to rebuild.

Your files within a folder also should be in order, I've not heard of a studio doing that before, other audiophile players yes but not the studio on the firmware I'm using.

The main rule with a studio v is to delete the 'system' folder whenever you change cards, or some like to after adding a bulk amount of folders, if you dont the player gets caught in an initialising loop. Might also be you have dirty tags which need a quick once over clean, especially if they were tagged with iTunes which adds a lot
of crap to your tracks. You can use a free program called mp3tag to clean them.

Start by deleting the system folder and go from there. That's all I have, hopefully Lee or goodvibes can chime in, pretty sure it's just some minor work arounds needed though.

Also don't forget to number your files. As in the actual file names in this fashion "01 To the limit", 02 Unforgiveable, 03 etc. That should get it in the order you want but you'll have to do that manually if your track numbers aren't in order. You can use a program such as mp3tag to do the 01, 02, 03 naming scheme for you on the fly but you'll have to do it album by album and ensure they are already in the 01, 02, 03 order. It will rename your other files the wrong numbers otherwise...

Oct 17, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #498 of 1,483
Thanks for the replies and in particular H20Fidelity for the mp3tag tip.

The weird thing is that I have always added and maintained my ID3 tags in iTunes and also always named my files 01....mp3, 02.....mp3 etc. so I was extremely baffled as to why they were showing in a random order and presumed it was due to being sorted by modified date by the player.

After following H20Fidelity's suggestions (downloading mp3tag, peforming a 'Tag > Filename' conversion followed by a 'Tag > Tag' conversion of the files on my memory card, deleting the 'SYSTEM' folder from the Studio V then inserting the card and starting it up) I now have files in the correct order! :)

It still takes what feels like an absolute age to start up after turning the unit off then on again, I'm currently testing this and on my third cycle and each time it has taken over 5 minutes to initialise. I'm guessing there is not much that can be done here apart from keeping the unit on when out an about and making sure i turn it on in advance of ever needing it.... hmmm

Oct 17, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #499 of 1,483
  Thanks for the replies and in particular H20Fidelity for the mp3tag tip.

The weird thing is that I have always added and maintained my ID3 tags in iTunes and also always named my files 01....mp3, 02.....mp3 etc. so I was extremely baffled as to why they were showing in a random order and presumed it was due to being sorted by modified date by the player.

After following H20Fidelity's suggestions (downloading mp3tag, peforming a 'Tag > Filename' conversion followed by a 'Tag > Tag' conversion of the files on my memory card, deleting the 'SYSTEM' folder from the Studio V then inserting the card and starting it up) I now have files in the correct order! :)

It still takes what feels like an absolute age to start up after turning the unit off then on again, I'm currently testing this and on my third cycle and each time it has taken over 5 minutes to initialise. I'm guessing there is not much that can be done here apart from keeping the unit on when out an about and making sure i turn it on in advance of ever needing it.... hmmm

How many songs do you have? Like over 5000?

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #501 of 1,483
  I have just over 7500 songs on the card.

It's taken > 10 minutes to start up this time too

I would suggest..

1) Trying another card.
2) Splitting your collection up onto x2 32GB cards.

I don't know why your player is doing these long start ups, I've read other cases, but never saw the solution, so your player is not faulty imo.  It's having some sort of indexing issue.

Oct 17, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #502 of 1,483
Like Portasound I'm a new owner of a Studio V - it arrived on Tuesday afternoon.

Very excited I put a 32GB card with about 3,500 songs pre-installed into it and turned it on.

Again like Portasound I got the 'Initializing CMI Please Wait' message scrolling across the screen for 6 minutes. I'm sure that was the length of time it took to boot up as I saw the message many times as I couldn't get the hang of the 3 modes of operation for the center button as described in the "manual":-

Tap - to play or pause
Tap / Hold for 0.5 sec - Enter Main Menu
Tap / Hold for 2 - 3 sec - Turn off (seemed more like 1 sec to me)

So I spent a lot of time turning it off by mistake.

In the end it took me 45 minutes to get a track to play. Perhaps the Studio V isn't meant for old farts like me.

And then I was disappointed by the sound. Thin, no real bass, separation poor, restricted soundstage. Obvioulsy it needs time to burn in.

So I listened a bit last night and was going to try a longer listen tonight but after I read about deleting the "System Folder" to get it to reindex my music files I thought I'd try that first.

I couldn't get the microUSB cable into the port. Something inside the Studio V has slipped or been wrongly placed so it is completley blocking the port so I can't even get the cable anywhere near inside the unit.

I don't think my introduction to the Studio V could have been more disastrous. In complete contrast to the out of the box experience on my Fiio X3 and my Ibasso DX50.

I've written to hisound.co.uk about the microUSB cable issue and am awaiting a response.

A very disappointed customer.

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #505 of 1,483
My third does take longer than my black Studio to boot with the same 32g card. But it sounds better and to me that's all that matters.

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #506 of 1,483
With so many files I think you will have long starts times regardless. This isn't the first time I've heard this. I only use lossless files and WAV at that. So generally around 700 songs on each 32 GB card. It takes about 40 seconds to start. With 5000 or more I can see why it would take 5 minutes or more :frowning2:. Sorry to say there is no solution for that. The more files you have the more time it will take to index....

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #507 of 1,483
  With so many files I think you will have long starts times regardless. This isn't the first time I've heard this. I only use lossless files and WAV at that. So generally around 700 songs on each 32 GB card. It takes about 40 seconds to start. With 5000 or more I can see why it would take 5 minutes or more :frowning2:. Sorry to say there is no solution for that. The more files you have the more time it will take to index....

damn! and I was thinking about one of those micro sd to sd extender and a 128gb sd card 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #508 of 1,483
  damn! and I was thinking about one of those micro sd to sd extender and a 128gb sd card 
very_evil_smiley.gif

lol while it is not the most ideal situation or even solution. I can live with 32 GB cards. I used 64 GB cards but I felt there was a decrease in sound quality so I reverted back to 32 and sold off my 64 GB cards.

Oct 19, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #510 of 1,483
The guy who runs Hisound UK is a great guy,
Very genuine and wants to help improve image. I am sure you will get a good one, ask them to check it over before posting to you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back