Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review
Dec 13, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #796 of 1,483
  I also use it mostly unamped. 

When I do amp it, I use the Meier Quickstep. Its great at reducing hiss with my jh13, and does an excellent job also with my Mad Dogs and Rs1i's at giving them more proper weight to the bass. 

Overall, I love the Studio as a source. By itself or amped, I always find it just right. Always natural, musical. Never harsh or unnatural.

What was your conclusion on the Etymotic and Studio pairing in the end? Did the Ety stay around?

Dec 13, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #797 of 1,483

What was your conclusion on the Etymotic and Studio pairing in the end? Did the Ety stay around?

The Ettys were almost too good at first, and made everything else sound off. They were giving my old jh13's a run for their money!

The bad thing about the ettys (for me) is that, although I did find my perfect fit, it makes me uneasy. I use comply tips and insert them deeper than my customs. I find that is where I get the proper sound out of them.

They're on the chopping block right now, as I don't need the level of isolation they provide and need something more practical, with less isolation, I'm eyeing the Sennheiser ie800 or AKG 3003i.

My Etymotic Er4p for sale(shameless plug): http://www.head-fi.org/t/694841/etymotic-er4p

Dec 13, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #799 of 1,483
  The Ettys were almost too good at first, and made everything else sound off. They were giving my old jh13's a run for their money!

The bad thing about the ettys (for me) is that, although I did find my perfect fit, it makes me uneasy. I use comply tips and insert them deeper than my customs. I find that is where I get the proper sound out of them.

They're on the chopping block right now, as I don't need the level of isolation they provide and need something more practical, with less isolation, I'm eyeing the Sennheiser ie800 or AKG 3003i.

My Etymotic Er4p (shameless plug): http://www.head-fi.org/t/694841/etymotic-er4p

Yes, they require terribly deep insertion for me also. it's almost 'wrong' like you're going to damage your ear drum/canal, took me a week of fiddling to figure out the correct angle and placement or I'd suffer channel imbalance. I still rate ER4S one of the best pairings I've heard with my Studio especially when detail extension is concerned and technical ability although like yourself they're not very convenient, taking them in/out quickly simply isn't possible and foam tips (Etymotic ones) set me back $28 Aud for x5 pairs here. I'll keep them around for the Studio and because of their classic reputation.

My pair are actually coming back from Hawaii after Lee's been tampering with them.

Dec 13, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #800 of 1,483
That's the reason I had kept a pair of either ie8's or ie80's around. They were always ready to go. Great build, great fit, and didn't have to take them off when the wifey started talking to me in the car. (I only wear them when I'm the passenger, btw).

Sure this hobby is all about sound quality, but also what's practical for your particular uses. For example, I stopped using closed cans for a couple of years when I discovered how great open cans were. Fast forward to a few months ago, and I'm considering how to get around a noisy environment, ie, noisy computer fans, noisy air conditioning, which was gonna be a rather expensive endeavor.

I came across a pair of Mad Dogs, which to be quite honest I had no real desire to own them. Not the greatest cans ever, but guess what, I sure did enjoy the hell out of them. Isolation, oh sweet isolation how I missed you! The damn computer and ac were taking away all the joy out of my open headphones, much like hiss can drive you mad with sensitive iems.

Anyways, the ettys must go. Not because they don't sound fantastic, but because they don't fit in my little scheme of things.
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #801 of 1,483
If you guys like the ettys then you should give the fitear F111s a go with the Studio V 3rd.. They require only a shallow insertion and with the titanium tube its easy to get a great seal because it seems to force the flanges out wider.  For example i am using the same tips i did with the Senny IE80s but i get a much better seal with the F111s. I haven't owned the ettys but from what i have read they wouldn't sound too different from the Fitears.

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #802 of 1,483
Oh ehm gee, guys. I just got my Studio-V back from Hisound. Finally!! There is a God!
eek.gif

Dec 13, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #803 of 1,483

Yes, they require terribly deep insertion for me also. it's almost 'wrong' like you're going to damage your ear drum/canal, took me a week of fiddling to figure out the correct angle and placement or I'd suffer channel imbalance. I still rate ER4S one of the best pairings I've heard with my Studio especially when detail extension is concerned and technical ability although like yourself they're not very convenient, taking them in/out quickly simply isn't possible and foam tips (Etymotic ones) set me back $28 Aud for x5 pairs here. I'll keep them around for the Studio and because of their classic reputation.

My pair are actually coming back from Hawaii after Lee's been tampering with them.

I actually hated the flanges\tips that came with my Etymotic HF-3, so I contacted Etymotic and sent me(for free) a tip that does not usually come with them, they provide better isolation and more importantly are more comfortable. The tips are the ER38-13A, with a longer stem. Also, when not using them I push the flanges up. So when I extend the flanges during use they actually seem to provide better isolation.

Dec 13, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #804 of 1,483
Dec 13, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #805 of 1,483
  Oh ehm gee, guys. I just got my Studio-V back from Hisound. Finally!! There is a God!
eek.gif

Does it work??

@Hoboson I would guess that HDMS could stand for High Definition Music Source.
Here's the text form the manual on it (page 46):
the player can be used as the high quality music source. You can link
the phone out signal with a RCS3.5 jack cable to the external amplifier.
the setting process is: go to the sub menu of Setting---confirm the
settingpress the up or down key to scroll the HDMS function. ----press
the central key to confirm it------choice Enable and press the central key
to confirm it.

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #806 of 1,483

Thanks wormsdriver, you saved me a lot of money! 
I was thinking about buying these.. http://www.aloaudio.com/compact-sxc-22-mini-to-mini

Glad I could help!

remember, you can always communicate with these guys to get exactly what you want/need. Custom lengths, different jacks to fit your rig, choice of cables and whether to have them sleeved or unsleeved, etc.

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #809 of 1,483
How does 3rd anv compare to dx50 and x3?

I asked DigitalFreak and he didn't think they compared at all. Also H20Fidelity doesn't think the DH50 compares to this older 2nd gen unit :wink:. This is in terms of sound quality mostly. DigitalFreak though found the 3rd ANV UI to be more usable overall. Tupac & I actually like the 3rd and BA pairing over the DX100 with our current gear. Maybe they can all chime in for you guys :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back