Hippo VB VS Eterna VS CKS-70
Aug 30, 2010 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

balleballe

New Head-Fier
As I understand it, hippo VB is all about sub-bass.  Eterna is about mid-bass and CSK-70 is a bit of both - correct?

I'm used to my Sony's and find too much rumble annoying - I assume I prefer mid-bass then?  I want tight punchy large bass!  The type of bass that moves a larger amount of air in a short period of time

Problem is - I really don't seem to get along with IEM's (like hippo VB).  They just seem uncomfortable due to the insertion depth.

I LOVED the design of the sony mdr-ex85/90 with thier shallow insertion and stay-in-place design

Question is - does the eterna or CKS-70 fit more like the sony's I'm reffering to?

Just to add - i'll be getting the eterna V.1 - as I want the midbass hump

Aug 30, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #2 of 17
I'm not sure about the eterna, but I do have the CKS70 and I used to have the EX85. The kind of fit is relatively similar between the two, though not quite as comfortable on the CKS70. The CKS70 is the kind of IEM that will add bass to *anything* you play through it. While it's pretty amazing how much air they move into your ear, its not terribly fast kind of bass, and everything else is a little mushy. It's a one trick pony, but its a pretty hilarious trick.

I would say it adds an equal amount of sub bass and mid bass. Though, I have no idea where it pulls the sub bass out of on some tracks.

Maybe they are not in your budget, but you might want to consider the CKS90 as well... they should have fixed a lot of the flaws of the original. So far no Head Fi reviews though...

Aug 30, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 17
never heard the eterna

CKS70 has bigger bass than VB, but VB has better control. Also for mid and high, VB is the winner.

if you looking for fitting like that sony, than sure the CKS70 is the most similiar.

Aug 30, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 17
the CKS90 are £20 more than the CKS70 - and look a fair bit heavier.  A bit concerned they might pop out with a bit of jogging.

I really don't want to spend over £50 and all 3 mentioned products are just about £50

Sep 1, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #5 of 17
Ok, now I think i'm goiing to go for the eterna's.  One question for anyone who owns it - does it have a deep insertion depth?  I notice most pictures use a bi-flanges tip, would I be ok to use a sony hybrid?  And how good it the earphone at staying in place?  I dont want it to fall out all the time whilst in the gym (mdr-ex85 was excellent for this)

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #6 of 17
The hybrids will work well with the Eterna. I have so far had no issues with them falling out while using them at the gym running on a treadmill, although the cable due to it's thickness at times can
feel somewhat annoying, so I now usually keep it under my shirt,

Sep 1, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 17
+1 for the Fischer Audio Eterna... especially revision 1. I had the CKS70, had good quantity of bass but not as good as the quality of the eterna. I have no idea about the Hippo VB but joker did a review of both eterna and vb... from that eterna is a winner in terms of quality... so eterna > vb > cks70.

Sep 1, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 17
I speak for Hippo and Eterna V1, the VB has better mids/highs while the Eterna has a wonderful warm sound because of the mid bass; both of them are good for the price but I prefer hippo+sony hibrid
beerchug.gif

Sep 1, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
Which one has punchier base?  As in which ones feels like it's moving the most air in the shortest time?

I would say the VB is punchier and quicker while the Eterna is a bit fuller/fatter-sounding. 

Sep 3, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
What's a port bass? But most probably I have not tried all kinds of * bass...

VB = Variable Bass

so you can change the bass quantity by change the bass port, give them a try, because I also think that dotless port is give too much bass, also muddied mid and high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back