Hippo VB experience?
Feb 6, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #61 of 109
i've been watching news of the hippo vb for sometime now. I've tried it once before and the bass really stunned me. However the only thing stopping me from buying it is the wires... Isn't it a little too noisy when you walk?

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #62 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by crotonyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've been watching news of the hippo vb for sometime now. I've tried it once before and the bass really stunned me. However the only thing stopping me from buying it is the wires... Isn't it a little too noisy when you walk?

They arent noisy for me

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #63 of 109
I'm wearing them over my ears, same as all other IEMs. That cuts down on cable noise immensely. Additionally, I'm also using Phonak PFE ear guides, which give better fit and even more noise rejection.

Either way, they're definitely well behaved anyways - if you want to hear horrible microphonics, try Ety ER6 or Hifiman RE252.
tongue.gif

_MG_6544.jpg

Feb 7, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #64 of 109
OK chaps, now on my second pair and have 30 hours on them. I am using some large bi-flange senn tips which came with my son's now dead cx500(crappy senn warranty issues when bought from amazon)

They are not sibilant or nasal on vocals and the treble is not reedy or grainy like the cx300s, and they have the same bass thump as my Linn floorstanders. At one point I was checking my ZVM to make sure I hadent got the bass boost on.

Microphonics are much better than with cx300's and I can walsk without getting that 'thump thump' through the ears. To be fair tho with that amount of bass anything making a 'thump thump' is going to have be arned loud to be heard above the bass that rushes towards your brain from these drivers.

The only area I have noticed a less than ideal delivery is on brass horns like trumpets and trombones as they seem to have a metalic 'tizzy' edge to them that kind of makes you be able to 'taste' the brass metal.

Ok, I have not been adding 'herbs' to the vegetable lasagne.
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #66 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That will teach you to listen to trombones ever again!
biggrin.gif

Yep, now off the list....no brass bands, the flat cap has been replsced by a hoodie and the whippet is on ebay as we speak
wink.gif

These VBs sound particularly good when listening to Razorlight and the 'Up all Night' CD which has an open and live soundstage which the VBs reproduce well, but what they do better is the kick drum and bass guitar.....monster
smile.gif

I actually got two new toys last week, and the other one is very shiny, and black and comes from Bavaria
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #67 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Phone-wise, I hate K701, Grado, Etymotic - I love HD650, HFI-780, IE8, UE11.

Music-wise, check the Last.fm link in my sig.
wink.gif

In short, you like bass
icon10.gif

Feb 28, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #68 of 109
I was sooo close to getting the IE8 this week but I just could not get myself spending so much money....had another look here and came across the Hippo VB. I am also lusting after the Sansa Clip so together this combo would still be much much cheaper than the IE8!

Coming from the Denon C700 the VB has the same metal bullet shape, but looks a bit smaller. The one gripe I had with the Denons was that they were sticking out of my ears and were not too comfortable for sleeping (ear on the pillow). Can someone confirm this for the VB please?

Maybe someone could measure the total length of the metal housing (without the silicone/foam tip) in mm? plus also the length from the back to the front where the housing starts narrowing to the stem (in other words..w/o the stem).

Also, is the cable one length or an expandable one with short/long sections?

And lastly, how long is the warranty?

Thanks.

Mar 1, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #72 of 109
dfkt, thanks for the pic...seems to stick out a bit but the pic could alsobe somewhat misleading....they could still fit well inside the outer ear...have you sleep tested them?

any measurements possible...would love to compare their size to my denon 700.

Cable length?
cheers

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #73 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by suba3333 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dfkt, thanks for the pic...seems to stick out a bit but the pic could alsobe somewhat misleading....they could still fit well inside the outer ear...have you sleep tested them?

any measurements possible...would love to compare their size to my denon 700.

Cable length?
cheers

They aren't flush with my ears but they stick out ALOT less than my Atrio's did. They don't stick out much at all but they definitely are not completely flush either.

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #74 of 109
You wont get any sleep with these inserted in your ears !!! They stick out more than enough to be bothersome when sleeping.

Mar 2, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #75 of 109
I am able to sleep with them in my ears, they don't hurt me (unlike the PFE and others), but they're also not the most comfortable ones to my ears (like the SE530 or V-Moda Vibe and such).

They're ca. 2cm long without tips, and have a ca. 1cm diameter at the thickest part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back