Hippo VB Canal Phones
Nov 13, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #31 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by sivakrdy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey brendon i am from hyderabad, when you post the review do a detailed one considering many instruments and singers, indian instruments are in a different class, i donot think the tabla, sitar, santoor are in mids. i canot just take that when mids are good these sound beautiful.

how do you know he even likes Indian music? that is racist!
wink.gif
jk....not but seriously, you kinda just assumed he likes Indian music.

Back on topic..These phones do interest me and I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to my UM3Xs. Dynamic driver IEMs should be a nice change for me too.

Nov 13, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #32 of 92
brendon,

I live in Brazil and we can't try earphones before buy it. And it's going to be pretty hard to find a Image S4 for sell here. After dfkt's review, I was decided to buy Hippo VB, but Jaben don't ships here and Uncle Wilson's don't have in stock. Unlucky me.

Nov 16, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #33 of 92
^^ Wow ! Jaben does not ship to a huge country like Brazil ??? Thats very surprising.

@SOUNDinterpreter - Well honestly I do not listen to Indian music so I cannot add that in my review as I would am inexperienced in that regard. However I can post my impressions here on how these phones fare. I am however currently waiting for a futher 40 hour burn-in to be completed so I can try and review them.

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #35 of 92
brendon, I don't know why, but that's no problem, theres Uncle Wilson as an alternative.

dfkt, thats what they told me:

We have been contacted by supplier that they will be available soon about a month ago but we have not heard anything since.

We are pretty much ready to sell it straight away once the product is ready from the supplier side.

I hope they get there soon!

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #37 of 92
^^ But you are going to save money !!! Aren't you happy ???
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #39 of 92
^^ Who Moshel ? Give him some time he is probably setting up his shop and hence is pretty busy. He had informed me that Uncle Wilson had sent him Hippo VBs with the first shipment of items.

I have finished burning them in for about 40 hours more and oh boy they have opened up. I will listen to them for an extended period today and tomorrow and finish the review on the weekend.

Nov 21, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #42 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even if that would be the case with the new generation Hippo VB - you get one hell of a nice sound for those 6-8 months, for the rather low price of admission.

That to me is gong to be very important. I've enjoyed my Crossroads Mylarone E3i's for 2 years, though they're not my favorite IEM's. I THOUGHT they sounded a little "lifeless" having lost their warmth over time - but I attributed it to the fact I've relegated them to a poor audio device, my Sony PSP. I guess they've degraded, and from reading up - it seems like a common issue.

I was thinking about purchasing the Hippo VB because I enjoyed the Crossroads sound signature, but if they're going to degrade like that - an 8 month rental is not justification for me for $80. Now I'm going to reconsider the Re0.

Nov 21, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #43 of 92
Aevum was just speculating, and he's usually badmouthing OEM phones in general (who wouldn't, with a pair of IE8 in the ears)
wink.gif
... Nobody knows what will be in 8 months, since the VB are new on the market. One thing I know for sure is they are of much better build quality than older Jaben phones, and they sound great after now ~100 hours of usage.

So if you had no issues with your X3i for 2 years, then you will very likely have even less issues with the new generation Mylars/Hippos.

Nov 25, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #44 of 92
I've been listening to my new VBs for a couple of hours now (scrap burn-in!) and oh boy, these are really, really good. Especially their bass... I can't do A/B comparison, but I don't remember Atrios had this good bass. Very deep but certainly well controlled, does not affect other spectrums.

I don't hear sibilance issue brendon has reported. As for dfkt's review, frankly I was little skeptical but I think I now fully understand all the words he's used to describe these phones. I'm really curious on dfkt's comparison of these with ie8s. Any chance on that?
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 25, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #45 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by borako /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for dfkt's review, frankly I was little skeptical but I think I now fully understand all the words he's used to describe these phones. I'm really curious on dfkt's comparison of these with ie8s. Any chance on that?
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

As for IE8 vs. VB, they're very similar in their overall sound presentation. The VB has maybe a smidgen more bass quantity, but both have the same clear textured quality. Midrange and soundstage is pretty similar on both as well. Biggest difference between the two is the treble, to my ears. Where the VB can be a bit harsh at times (I wouldn't call them sibilant, just a bit "unrefined"), the IE8 perform more smoothly and laid back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back