Hippo VB Canal Phones
Oct 7, 2009 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 92

DigDub

Headphoneus Supremus
dsc4834.jpg

with the plate off. the nozzle is not covered, so the driver grill is visible inside the body when looking through the nozzle.
dsc4843c.jpg

just got these from jaben for $98 singapore dollars with a fiio 3 thrown in. i have a feeling it is from crossroads or a spinoff, since it uses a 10mm 'mylar driver'.

some brief initial impressions.

body:
made of metal, nozzle is plastic. 3 screw-on plates are provided for screwing on to the butt of the buds to alter for more bass or for more treble. the bassiest plate make the sound pretty dark and narrow down the sound stage. the 'treblest' plate sounds more airy and more pronounced highs but less bass. i prefer the middle plate. the nozzle has nothing to cover it, so looking through the nozzle, you will see the driver grill inside the body.

the cable is the standard stuff for consumer grade phones. 3 sizes of silicone sleeves comes with it plus a circular semi hard case to hold the earphones.

sound:
sound is dependent on which plate is used. the plates used give pretty stark difference to the sound signature. it can range from dark and bassy to airy and bright.

i'm using the middle plate. overall i would say the sound tends to the warm side, not the cold analytical stuff like etys. bass is layered and not mashed up like poorer offerings. treble is good, cymbals sounds clear, maybe just lacking that bit of crystal sharpness. mids are present without overpowering or underwhelming. i guess i need to burn in more for a more accurate review. but its sounding pretty good out of the box so far.

the hippo vb is very good value for its price, probably the best one can buy in this price bracket.

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 92
They look like the offspring of the Crossroads Quattros and the Bijous... Can't find info on the Jaben website anyway, only available in Singapore?

10mm drivers, mmmmm....
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #3 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by eiraku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They look like the offspring of the Crossroads Quattros and the Bijous... Can't find info on the Jaben website anyway, only available in Singapore?

10mm drivers, mmmmm....
biggrin.gif

i guess they do ship overseas.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #7 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by walabies83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eiraku, din know you are head-fi frequents.
This VB seems very promising

-
Pretty much started when I asked for all those olives from you.
-
So when are the VBs coming to town?

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #8 of 92
I had a brief listen to the nuforce ne6 and the hippo vb absolutely thrashes the ne6. The ne6 sounds veiled and not as extended on both ends as the hippo. Ne6 i believe is the micless version of the ne7.

Nov 11, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #11 of 92
Dang it dfkt, now I really want a VB. A shame my local Jaben supplier has only the Boom and the Shrooms in stock for now.
-
Here's hoping that they bring the VB in soon.
-
*Looking at walabies83*

Nov 11, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #12 of 92
wow dfkt in that review you claim that the VB's Bass is up there with the UE11 pro! cant wait to try these out especially when the mids are like the SE 530!!

thanks for the review

Nov 11, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #14 of 92
"not the cold analytical stuff like etys"

Oh brother...(shaking head in disbelief)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back