Hip Hop Is Dead
Nov 3, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #16 of 54
Well, it's safe to say the stuff on the media today isn't hip hop. I enjoy rap occasionally, but the new stuff is just crap. I agree with your first post about Outkast being the only good Southern rappers. There has to be a change or something or Hip Hop will turn into Pop with more flash.

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #17 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickenman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it's safe to say the stuff on the media today isn't hip hop. I enjoy rap occasionally, but the new stuff is just crap. I agree with your first post about Outkast being the only good Southern rappers. There has to be a change or something or Hip Hop will turn into Pop with more flash.

Someone finally actually get what the point is. I don't care if you listen to underground MC that has good flows and say hip-hop is not dead. There are 2 problems with that. They don't move sales. They are not heard by majority of people. I have RARELY saw one new MC that went platinum. Hell the good MC are just getting platinum. Plus the southern MC are stupid to sign with Interscope or big major labels to distribute their albums. They sell about 250,000 albums average and the record company take 80% of every album they sell.

Nov 3, 2007 at 9:55 AM Post #18 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess you people don't seem to understand the point and the what actually hip-hop is. For those people who said I don't know hip-hop then don't judge before you make assumptions. The real hip-hop is dead. If you consider "http://www.myspace.com/localnate" this music as hip-hop then you are in a wrong place buddy. If you guys just listen with your friends and jamming to the beats, that's not hip-hop. Doesn't matter if The Game come out with a great album or Dr. Dre released "Detox". The point that matter is that the mainstream hip-hop (not the one you are thinking of) is dead, not alternative, not snap music, not crunk, HIP-HOP figuratively. Hip-Hop genre had a major decline from 2002 to now and it keeps on declining. If you don't get the point then you EXACTLY don't know what hip-hop is.

See keywords "MAINSTREAM HIP HOP". IMO, that's not exactly dead either, seeing as how it's running through the music charts like the plague. Not my bag of tea, and it's crap, but to each his own. Even in that sense, it's not dead. It's just alive and full of junk.

Seems like you're not too inclined as to what hip-hop is either. Hip-Hop IS jamming to beats. Look at the term itself "hip-hop". You look back in the 70's and 80's when hip hop was flourishing, What do you think it was? Beats added to funk and soul. The music on that profile is exactly that, a beat and hook added to a funk classic. Hip hop never went anywhere, it was just clouded with crap that came out in the mid-90s. And it's worse now, than it ever was.

Just because a guy isn't spittin out a verse, doesn't mean it's not hip-hop. B-Boying is the epitome of hip hop, as it's self expression through dance, and it's embedded in the culure. And look at what they used to, and what they still dance to: funk, soul and beats. At any jam you HARDLY hear the DJ playing hardly rap, it's all older funk and remixes. That's the core and soul of hip-hop. Most of your modern tracks most usually have an older sould beat to it...remixed of course.

Examples? I'll post youtube vids of the crew I break with, Main Ingreedyantz. I figured I'de show you some video rather than just tracks, cause atleast you get to watch something in addition to hearing what real hip-hop is.... There doesn't have to be a hook with extreme bass for it to be hip-hop:

Perfect example of it not being your "typical" hip hop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niN4sDDYFeM

Some GOOD rap.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcV8WfWVgwM

More GOOD rap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec8kaLjbjCw

Example of more funk/soul. If you can stand the MC, lol...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLmjIFZoZQ8

Good ol James Brown, mixed later with some horns:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUzj4OPi45c

Nice beats intro, and one of my favorite examples(vid isn't too bad either :p):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMTSuXeqxAI

Just because it's not your typical bloated bass going to a track of somebody rhyming doesn't mean it's not hip hop. As you can see by these videos, even rap is interlaced, as it's all the same culture. Hip hop is a broader variety than people realize, and anybody who closes thier ears to hip hop and dismissing it as dead because of the current abundance of crap is missing out on so much.

Nov 3, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #20 of 54
Hip Hop is dead.
Rock is dead.
Punk is dead.
Reggae is dead.
Jazz is dead.
The symphony is dead.
On and on...

Hip Hop went mainstream.
Rock went underground.
Punk never lived.
Reggae never stopped evolving.
Jazz got smarter.
The symphony is a victim of modernity (and all that entails).
On and on...

In the marketing circus that is the current state of popular music, alive simply means massively profitable. Dead is simple indication that it's lost the attention of the lowest common denominator.

We're on a forum that affords us the unique perspectives of true music lovers. The critical thinkers, listeners, lovers of sound. It's important that we get pissed off about this tripe, but also that we never lose perspective: In the end, there will always be creators whose goal is to speak to people through their unique gift, no matter how many they get to listen.

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #22 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's important that we get pissed off about this tripe, but also that we never lose perspective: In the end, there will always be creators whose goal is to speak to people through their unique gift, no matter how many they get to listen.

At the risk of the Viper and I sounding like the Mutual Admiration Society (enquiring minds should check the "Favorite Musical Discovery" thread), I couldn't have put it better myself.

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #23 of 54
Audio-Fi, try Devin the Dude's album "Waitin' To Inhale". It is a solid album from 2007, and features the only verse by snoop in recent memory that I can even stand.

Nov 3, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #27 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not saying that Billboard is the official good/bad songs. I am just saying why people listen to this crap. But trust me, Billboard is thier way of saying "HEY LOOK THEY LIKE ME AND I AM GOING TO MAKE ANOTHER CRAP ALBUM FOR MONEY!"

If people didn't buy crap they wouldn't make crap.. I been listening to rap/hip hop since the early 80's.. & it's taken a turn for the worse..Overall it's much darker & depressing.. & a lot of songs are about 'me'.. Me got this, me faded someone..Me got bling.. Me got Ho's.. To superficial.. & the underground hip hop which is truer to the hip hop roots in the 70's/80's get no pub or radio play..

Nov 3, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #28 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by litlharsh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha just listenin to BoBS yesterday. To quote another hip-hopper,

I kinda say that hip-hop as a whole is kinda lost. Of course there are always the dope and real mc's, just as there's soulja boy. But it'll persevere, as it always has.

MC Shan to the Bridge? bring back Scott La'rock & super Ho..

Nov 4, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #30 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can you say Hip-Hop is dead in light of Saul Williams' latest release?

x2. Hip-Hop is dead and has been for years if you only listen to MTV's TI, 50 Cent, and Kanye West et al.
Saul's album is good, but there are even better ones out there. Hip-hop isn't all about grilles, bit**s and chronic and when you find real hip-hop it makes mainstream 'hip-hop' laughable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back