Hip Hop Is Dead
Nov 2, 2007 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Audio-Fi

100+ Head-Fier
Now for all of you hip-hop fans I am not bashing hip-hop because I am a really heavy hip-hop/rap lover. Anyways I am just here to say it's officially dead for me. The quality degraded like hell since the south came into place. I keep thinking to myself, who signed these morons to spit out crap and why the hell is it always top 10 at Billboard. Soulja Boy, Hurricane Chris, Dem Franchize Boyz, and it goes on and on basically murdered them. Why the southern rappers do this? The only good MC from the south is OutKast. What happen to the metaphors and the good rhymes that we were jamming through the 80's & 90's? What makes a stupid idiot screaming "YOUUUUUUUU" and "AY BAY BAY" even appeal to anyone? I was really glad that Nas released the album "Hip Hop Is Dead" that opened eyes to consumers. I really hope this corny southern crap should end.

Nov 2, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now for all of you hip-hop fans I am not bashing hip-hop because I am a really heavy hip-hop/rap lover. Anyways I am just here to say it's officially dead for me. The quality degraded like hell since the south came into place. I keep thinking to myself, who signed these morons to spit out crap and why the hell is it always top 10 at Billboard. Soulja Boy, Hurricane Chris, Dem Franchize Boyz, and it goes on and on basically murdered them. Why the southern rappers do this? The only good MC from the south is OutKast. What happen to the metaphors and the good rhymes that we were jamming through the 80's & 90's? What makes a stupid idiot screaming "YOUUUUUUUU" and "AY BAY BAY" even appeal to anyone? I was really glad that Nas released the album "Hip Hop Is Dead" that opened eyes to consumers. I really hope this corny southern crap should end.

I lol'd at this.
WHY OH WHY would you look at the Billboard top 10 for any sort of representation of modern rap/hip-hop? Popular rarely implies good or representative.

I refuse to even entertain the notion that hip-hop as a whole has gotten worse. The sucky no-talent people are just popular right now.

Nov 2, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 54
See below:

http://www.amazon.com/Hip-Hop-Dead-N...4047309&sr=8-1

I've owned all his stuff since day 1. The title of the CD fits the theme he's aiming for, and I couldn't agree more with him.

"Hip-Hop is so "f-ing dead".. is the ending to one of his tracks.. God is this true..
blink.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I lol'd at this.
WHY OH WHY would you look at the Billboard top 10 for any sort of representation of modern rap/hip-hop? Popular rarely implies good or representative.

I refuse to even entertain the notion that hip-hop as a whole has gotten worse. The sucky no-talent people are just popular right now.

I am not saying that Billboard is the official good/bad songs. I am just saying why people listen to this crap. But trust me, Billboard is thier way of saying "HEY LOOK THEY LIKE ME AND I AM GOING TO MAKE ANOTHER CRAP ALBUM FOR MONEY!"

Nov 3, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 54
If you think about it, it really lasted a long time.
When I did service at Puff Daddy's first record label (I think that it was "Bad Boy" records), I thought that it was just a passing phase. Who knew it would take over an entire generation and last longer than most genres other than country.

Nov 3, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you think about it, it really lasted a long time.
When I did service at Puff Daddy's first record label, I thought that it was just a passing phase. Who knew it would take over an entire generation and last longer than most genres other than country.

Isn't he P Diddy now? Seriously, what's up with that? I know he had to change it for legal reasons or something but you'd think he'd pick something better.
blink.gif

Nov 3, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #7 of 54
That's his third name. He's competing with Prince for most name changes ever.

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #8 of 54
People who think hip hop is dead obviously never goto B-Boy jams, contests.

Hip hop isn't dead, YOUR rap choice is dead. Hip Hop will never be dead. The day hip hop dies is the day when DJ's aren't around. Real DJs...not those BS "DJ Clue....representing southside..." crap.

You want an example? Here's Hip-Hop music that people don't know is hip-hop:

http://www.myspace.com/localnate

Hip hop was never near dying...peoples music taste is just crap.

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #9 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

qft
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mos Def
So the next time you ask yourself where Hip-Hop is goin'
ask yourself...where am I goin? How am I doin?
'til you get a clear idea
So...if Hip-Hop is about the people
Hip-Hop won't get better until the people get better

keep hip hop alive.

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #11 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoi_rootbeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
qft

keep hip hop alive.

haha just listenin to BoBS yesterday. To quote another hip-hopper,

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-OS
Hip Hop, it started out in the park
Are we lost in the dark?
I think we maybe forgot

I kinda say that hip-hop as a whole is kinda lost. Of course there are always the dope and real mc's, just as there's soulja boy. But it'll persevere, as it always has.

Nov 3, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #12 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People who think hip hop is dead obviously never goto B-Boy jams, contests.

Hip hop isn't dead, YOUR rap choice is dead. Hip Hop will never be dead. The day hip hop dies is the day when DJ's aren't around. Real DJs...not those BS "DJ Clue....representing southside..." crap.

You want an example? Here's Hip-Hop music that people don't know is hip-hop:

http://www.myspace.com/localnate

Agree. These threads are so repetitive and always started by people with little knowledge as the genre as a whole. This also becomes a battle of word choice and comparing hip hop to rap. Search around and you'll find this topic has been beaten to death.

Nov 3, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #13 of 54
I can't stand it when people say hip-hop is dead. There are so many new artists sprouting up all the time! You just have to look past the smoke screen of garbage that is spread across the media. There still is a lot of good artists out there. I don't think suggestion solja boy even relates to hip-hop because its not hip-hop. It doesn't even belong in the same genre. I agree with Oicdn that hip-hop will never be dead. What has died that you miss? Most artists except a few older mc's are still producing and coming out with new albums.

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #14 of 54
"Eardrum" by Talib Kweli is evidence enough that hip-hop is alive and well. It's a sweet album, you should definitely check it out!

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #15 of 54
I guess you people don't seem to understand the point and the what actually hip-hop is. For those people who said I don't know hip-hop then don't judge before you make assumptions. The real hip-hop is dead. If you consider "http://www.myspace.com/localnate" this music as hip-hop then you are in a wrong place buddy. If you guys just listen with your friends and jamming to the beats, that's not hip-hop. Doesn't matter if The Game come out with a great album or Dr. Dre released "Detox". The point that matter is that the mainstream hip-hop (not the one you are thinking of) is dead, not alternative, not snap music, not crunk, HIP-HOP figuratively. Hip-Hop genre had a major decline from 2002 to now and it keeps on declining. If you don't get the point then you EXACTLY don't know what hip-hop is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back