Hip-Hop and Rap Fans!
Sep 12, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #62 of 448
Cannot believe this thread exists on head-fi
very_evil_smiley.gif

Anyway still waiting for 'Detox' like everyone else

Been going old-school lately with 'Welcome to the 36 Chambers', 'Stankonia', 'Regulate', the two Dre albums but my flatmate gave me 'Lil' Wayne - Tha Carter III' so I will see...

P.S. A fan of Kanye

Sep 12, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #63 of 448
Wow, I've missed a lot today, going to work and whatnot like a square :) I really like the direction this thread is taking: more of a commentary/ reminiscence on old school/"good" rap. For me, old school is basically early nineties stuff. To be completely honest, though, I haven't really gone digging through all of that era. I have Biggie, Pac (yea, their both a little later but I still consider that old school), Dre, Mobb Deep, Erik B & Rakim, Nas... and probably a few others along those lines from that era in Hip-Hop. Reading this thread I can see that theres a lot that I have been missing.

I never really gave Tribe or De La Soul a chance, and maybe I should. I'd like to know what you guys feel are these groups best albums, so I know what to buy :-D

As for the Kanye commentary, I agree that he is doin some pretty great stuff with hip-hop, though it's not like he's a rap legend or anything. His flow does leave something to be desired, but his beats are sometimes just....You know how he talks about jigga takin off his bucket hat, puttin over his face and just goin "OOUUUUUUUUUUGH!" (pronounced like the ew in threw"), well, thats just perfect cuz I feel that way sometimes too. The beat on Lucifer, really?!

As far as Outkast, I think I need to expand my collection. I only own Stankonia and that double album they did. I agree that Andre has some ill flow, but I haven't went out and found em yet. So you say ATLiens is tight? I feel like sometimes I'm biased against certain albums for stupid reasons: ATLiens, i though it was a dumb name so i never checked it out; The roots, my roomate played me some of their stuff, i think it was underground, and I didn't really like it cuz a) it was burned and b) the quality was bad, so I never gave them a chance; etc, etc... I know, its a damn shame, so I need to guys to slap me out of it and tell me the "must haves" for all these great artists (cuz as much as I'd like to, I can't go out and by everyone's whole collection)

So keep the great commentaries coming!!!

Sep 12, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #64 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Marley_Marl_live_in_Utrecht.jpg

[size=xx-small]Marlon Williams[/size]

Big-up to my dawg, Marley Maarrrrlllll!

De La Soul
3 Feet High and Rising
Buhloone Mind State
Stakes Is High

Tribe Called Quest
Midnight Marauders

I dunno…to me, the Roots early work is kinda dry; they spent too much time trying to prove they were a rap crew that knew something about chord changes instead of just flat-out bringing the funk. (Btw, those Homegrown! Beginner's Guide… compilations actually do a good job of cherrypicking the best stuff from the early days.) The second part of their career, starting with Things Fall Apart, but really hitting it with Phrenology, is when their whole hip-hop band thing started making more sense. That year ?uestlove spent on the road backing D'Angelo didn't hurt, either.

Sep 13, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #65 of 448
RJD2 is the ****, if you like that you should check out blockhead he makes beats for aesop rock. ATLiens is also the ****, "if you like fish and chips and all that pimp ****, then throw your hands in the ayer." lol.

On the Kanye note, I like his beats, but i cannot get into his flow. there must be only like 3 songs i like him on. Touch the Sky, Gold Digger, and Through the Wire. Though i think Lupe killed him on his own track in Touch the Sky.

old school rec: Boogie Down Productions: By all means necessary. Check that album art.

And for that Wu love, GZA: Liquid Swords a classic, timeless if not over-recommended. Everyone should have this album. It rivals 36 chambers.

Sep 13, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #68 of 448
though some may not call it hip hop because it is mainly a bunch of instrumental beats with some samples mixd in, i can not sing high enough the praises of "endtroducing" by dj shadow.

oh and a tribe called quest had a bunch of damn fine albums IMO. they are
people's instinctive travels and the paths of rhythm
low end theory
midnight marauders (already listed by someone else)

and one de la soul masterpiece wasn't mentioned
de la soul is dead

Sep 13, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #69 of 448
Hip-Hop is the love of my life. Well, one of them, anyway.
biggrin.gif

Off the top of my head, artists that I enjoy spinning (and possibly too often) include Flying Lotus, The Roots, Erykah Badu, A Tribe Called Quest, Common, Madlib, J Dilla, early De La, Talib Kweli, and so on.

Actually, now that I think about it, around half of my most cherished records are probably hip-hop related.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #70 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And for that Wu love, GZA: Liquid Swords a classic, timeless if not over-recommended. Everyone should have this album. It rivals 36 chambers.

RZA was on a whole other level on this album! This could come out today and heads would be wondering what RZA is doing! Great album for headphones with all the sounds RZA throws in the tracks! Yup, "Liquid Swords" and Raekwon's "Only Built for Cuban Linx" are definitely my favourite Wu albums. Ghost's "Supreme Clientele" is a close third.

Also for those Dilla heads out there check out Pharcyde's "Labcabincalifornia" for another great hip hop group over some early Dilla beats as he produced about half of it.

Sep 13, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #71 of 448
So, is it me or is the best song on the Relfection Eternal LP "For Women", which comes after the outro? I mean, I can (and have) listened to that song like 7 times straight, and still not gotten tired of it. I've been meaning to ask some hip-hop heads about this...

Sep 14, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #72 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezzieyguywuf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, is it me or is the best song on the Relfection Eternal LP "For Women", which comes after the outro? I mean, I can (and have) listened to that song like 7 times straight, and still not gotten tired of it. I've been meaning to ask some hip-hop heads about this...

Honestly, I can't think of a single track off of this record I don't like.

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #73 of 448
Im subscribing to this thread. So refreshing to see a hip hop thread on here!

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #74 of 448
never really got into a tribe called quest...are they really 'hip hop'?

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #75 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Junesequa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
never really got into a tribe called quest...are they really 'hip hop'?

If they aren't, then what else could they possibly be...?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back