Hip-Hop and Rap Fans!
Sep 11, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #46 of 448
ezzieyguywuf;4717743 said:
Yea, its good rap, good rhymes, and its good to rap politically (hell, thats how hip-hop started in a way) but its not something I'm always lookin for, ya know?
QUOTE]

Ya thats what im sayin. I love the political rap still not a huge fan of underground, but most of the time i just like to hear a bangin song.

O ya and ezziey listen to Lord Willin one of my all time favorites

Sep 12, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #47 of 448
If you want an influential old-school rap album...
Go for Eric B and Rakim - Paid in Full

You might recognize some of the beats because they are sampled often. This is a great record but it is very old-school so yeah...

Sep 12, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #48 of 448
x2 to Paid in Full....phew, that album....I'm surprised anyone else even brought it up.

Sep 12, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #49 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezzieyguywuf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol well if you want just one of those two albums I would def go with Resurrection.

@lhisindhaus : yes, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is an awesome album, as is The Score.

BUT

We're getting off topic guys! So far, I've liked a lot of the recomendations for newer, old-school vibe artists, but nothing really sticks out. Yea, that Wordsworth and K'naan was tight, but still not Illmatic or Resurrection. Is the golden era of hip-hop REALLY over? What a pity...

I haven't had a chance to hear that clipse yet, so sorry to those who suggested it. I will get around to it. Keep it coming guys! and by all means, we can make this into a "discuss your fav old school albums" thread....

to be honest i don't think anything new will completely capture your heart like the old school hip hop that we have been talking about. nothing really can compare to it IMO. there may be some good albums coming out but they will never touch the glory days of hip hop. just keep digging deeper into old school. i know that is pessimistic. the last album to truly floor me and make me say wow was the roots "things fall apart" and that was back in 1999. this of course is just my opinion.

Sep 12, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #50 of 448
Well love for hip hop can be split into 2 categories, either you listen primarily for the hip lyrical content (dope ass lines) or for the hop part of it (bumpin beats). If you love old school then my guess is you lean toward the lyrical content crowd since most old school is that g-funk sound. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that producers these days have a more complex and layered sound (madlib, dilla r.i.p.).

On that note we need to define old school. If you're 30 old school is like late 70's early 80's, and if you're 20 old school is early 90's late 80's. Say Dr. Dre's 2001 in 99 is old school for me, (im 21 in october) while the chronic is even older. So if I define old school as anything prior to 2000 then most my taste is old school. Some would also classify 2000+ hip hop as "nerd rap" or "experimental" where as back in the 80's Rakim was edgy and new. Who knows in 10 years we may look back and see classics that weren't there before.

Who says you cant like The likes of gangster rap + "nerd rap". I just like hip hop cept for club bangers I guess. Thats just not for me.

To whoever said nerdy asian kids cant like hip hop, I'm guilty too!!!
darthsmile.gif

Sep 12, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #51 of 448
I am in my thirties and yeah old school to me is definitely 80's. UTFO, Roxanne Shante, BDP, Whodini etc. The golden age of hip hop to me is from about 88 to 94 with a few exceptions of course but that period of time is absolutely ridiculous in the amount of amazing albums with a wide spectrum of styles. Everybody had their own sound those days. There were great producers but they were not on everybody's track making everything sound the same like today. You knew after a few bars you were listening to a RZA track or Primo, Pete Rock, Dre or Eric Sermon. Same thing with MC's flow .... the goal was to sound different from the next guy.(sigh) Money has stolen the creativity from the music in hopes of a hit. Glad to see hear there a few artists worth listening to that I haven't checked out as yet. I have heard about Cunnylingus but haven't actually heard an album. I think that will be first on my list. Oh yeah one last thing! Andre 3000 is spitting some ridiculous verses lately! I hope his next album is back to rhyming because he is the most underrated MC that has been doing it for some time. Don't let the outfits and singing fool you! I have been murdering Outkast's Atliens for the last few weeks. For those that were too young or just slept on it, please treat yourself!

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #53 of 448
No mention of Tribe Called Quest?
frown.gif

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #54 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No mention of Tribe Called Quest?
frown.gif

It is a crime if Tribe has not been mentioned as yet. Another fine example of the golden age of Hip Hop. Classic, classic material!

Kanye is cool. Amazing beats but flow is so so in my opinion. Sometimes he is spoton and sounds damn good! Others he is all over the place trying to be too clever but again his musical ideas are fantastic. Not genius like Dilla but good nonetheless.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #55 of 448
Everyone seems to be sidestepping the first OutKast record that truly mattered: Aquemini. Also, I think the Roots' sh-t really came together on Phrenology. The middle section of that album just plain smokes.

Sep 12, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #57 of 448
I've never really been feelin the Roots to be honest. I actually tend to like em more as individual artists than as a group. A lot of group rap is kinda weird to me, like Jurassic 5 is just OK for me.

I figured Tribe was just understood! Like Whodini, Audio Two, Arrested Development!!

How do y'all (yeah, I said it) feel about RJD2, the Herbaliser, or Blackalicious?

Sep 12, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #58 of 448
ah yes boogie down productions. now i need to break out criminal minded. when i am done with that i will listen to ultramagnetic Mcs. 88 was hip hop's year. if we are going to finally name drop a tribe called quest why no mention of de la soul yet?

Sep 12, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #60 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With that being said. How do you people like Kanye West?

west is actually quite decent, though overhyped at this point. i would not crown him as the second coming of hip hop but he is enjoyable. he has nice beats and production with an above average lyrical flow. he may not be great but he is a lot better than most everything else coming out in mainsteam hip hop right now.

oh and i have one thing to say about that picture you just posted karo.
"Hangin' pictures on my wall
Every Saturday Rap Attack, Mr. Magic, Marley Marl" wise words from the greatest of them all, biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back