Hip-Hop and Rap Fans!
Sep 11, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #31 of 448
Haha, I don't think that could be further from the truth, sahwnfras wrt. underground. As K'naan said, "Truth is there's only amusement in their music. And I gotta water down my thoughts, cause if it came hardcore to the brain like I use it, the radio would refuse it."

Maybe Dead Prez said it best, "Turn off the radio, turn off that bulls---"

Sep 11, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #32 of 448
Quote:

"Truth is there's only amusement in their music. And I gotta water down my thoughts, cause if it came hardcore to the brain like I use it, the radio would refuse it."

thats a dope line. I will definitley have to check this guy out.

edit: I just gave that Wu-Tang Forever a spin...wholey moley this album rocks. It seems I just bought it then let it sit at the bottom of my stack of CDs. Recently I re-riped my entire music collection, and lemme tell you, this album is beautiful.

I heard some Wordsworth on youtube. He's good, no doubt, but he's got kind of a "kid" sound to his flow as well as in his rhymes, if that makes any sense. He's got some dope rhymes, no doubt, but I feel like his style would get repetitive and boring on a whole album. I could be wrong.

I heard some K'naan on youtube as well. This mean is rilluh, I need to find a CD of his. Though, like with Dead Prez, could be that he spends too much time rapping politics for me to properly jam out. Yea, its good rap, good rhymes, and its good to rap politically (hell, thats how hip-hop started in a way) but its not something I'm always lookin for, ya know?

keep em comin guys!

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #33 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe Dead Prez said it best, "Turn off the radio, turn off that bulls---"

I like dead prez borrowing from Bob Marley:

One thing 'bout music
when it hits you feel no pain
Some folks say
it controls yo' brain
I know better than that
That's game

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #34 of 448
amen ezzie. i do love me some wu tang. saw ghostface and raewkon in chicago this july. incredible experience. they did a lot of the old wu tang songs from enter 36 chambers and forever as well as only built 4 cuban links. they even did a cover of an odb song in his memory.

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #35 of 448
\\//\\// *chant* wu tang wu tang wu tang wu tang wu tang *chant*

Sep 11, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #36 of 448
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezzieyguywuf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
\\//\\// *chant* wu tang wu tang wu tang wu tang wu tang *chant*

the crowd chanted that for a good 10 minutes before they came out. also got to see public enemy perform "it takes a nation of millions to hold us back" in its entirety at that festival. dizie rascal was also there but i am not a huge fan of his music. he is much better live than his albums are. i'll give him that much.

Sep 11, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #37 of 448
Finding Forever was the biggest disappointment I've gotten from any music in the last few years, Common really phoned it in, incredibly safe and formulaic, nothing about that album was alive. I think, unfortunately, this acting thing has distracted him and shifted his priorities, though I hope that's not true.

Anyway, I think the truly great rap albums the last few years have been A Piece of Strange by the Cunninlynguists and I'll Sleep When You're Dead by El-P, truly inspired albums with great production, great writing, and their own impressive creative paths.

Sep 11, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #38 of 448
Okay, so I listened some more to Illmatic and probably the best things are the relaxed beats and flow. Though very relaxed, Nas's voice doesn't seem to impress me. Hard to explain for a dutchy but his voice doesn't seem to 'attack' me. Biggie has this for example and lol, Frank Sinatra as well. With Nas, every sentence is kind of the same and fits in his flow. It's just different, not better or worse.

Sep 11, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #39 of 448
@apatN I guess I kinda agree, the beats a flow kind of make this CD, but really thats about 80%-90% of hip hop to me if you include rhymes. The rappers voice is very important (10%-20% per my calculations) and thats actually one of the reasons I'm hesitant about Wordsworth, though I will give it some time. But really, Illmatic is just gawd man, its that ****.

REPRESENT REPRESENT!

Sep 11, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #40 of 448
I'm glad you can at least understand what I'm trying to say. I also think Illmatic will grow on me.
I'm kind of cautious when it comes to rap and hip-hop. 0.50$, Chammilionaire etc. etc. must have brainwashed me thinking rap/hip-hop is bad in any way. The cure I think was Kanye and GTA: SA.
wink.gif

Sep 11, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #41 of 448
Haha, check out Common - Ressurection and Blackstar - Talib Kweli and Mos Def are Blackstar. you'll see then :-D

Sep 11, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #43 of 448
Sep 11, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #44 of 448
lol well if you want just one of those two albums I would def go with Resurrection.

@lhisindhaus : yes, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is an awesome album, as is The Score.

BUT

We're getting off topic guys! So far, I've liked a lot of the recomendations for newer, old-school vibe artists, but nothing really sticks out. Yea, that Wordsworth and K'naan was tight, but still not Illmatic or Resurrection. Is the golden era of hip-hop REALLY over? What a pity...

I haven't had a chance to hear that clipse yet, so sorry to those who suggested it. I will get around to it. Keep it coming guys! and by all means, we can make this into a "discuss your fav old school albums" thread....

Sep 11, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #45 of 448
You want old school? Don't get no better than:

LL Cool J - Mama Said Knock You Out

Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

Jungle Brothers - Done By the Forces Of Nature

Old school that nobody remembers:

Downtown Science MC Bosco Money may have been the first true collegiate hip-hopper, back when that didn't have anything to do with a backpack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back