High School and College Head-fi'ers: How do you finance your gear?
Dec 18, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #16 of 96
I've saved pretty much everything I've earned from allowance, mowing lawns, gifts, and more recently internships since I was 8 (mainly for college). I even traded some stocks around when I was 14. Now that I'm in college (junior this year) and it's pretty much paid for I have enough to spend on some of my interests/wants which really isn't that much. Contrary to what my sig might suggest I'm generally very frugal.

Dec 18, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #17 of 96
Students loans...lol

Dec 18, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #18 of 96
Pretty much quitted console gaming for 4 years now and found a new a hobby which is audio. I pretty much don't spend anything other than audio.

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #19 of 96

Quote:
Pretty much quitted console gaming for 4 years now and found a new a hobby which is audio. I pretty much don't spend anything other than audio.

'Quitted' 
tongue_smile.gif
. My apologies, I couldn't resist. 

Dec 18, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #21 of 96
BobSaysHi, I like your idea of DIY'ing for people. Thanks everyone for the input! I will keep saving up. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #22 of 96
Selling DIY items for a profit on Head-Fi is not allowed.

HiFi is my one main hobby. My money that doesn't go to my education goes to it. This includes much of my internship and co-op money.

Dec 18, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #23 of 96

Quote:

Yeah, but if you are asked to build a kit for a person, you can charge for that, correct?

At any rate, I don't usually go through Head-Fi when I build stuff for people, and I don't go through the FS forums, so I don't think I'm breaking any rules

Dec 18, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #24 of 96

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, but if you are asked to build a kit for a person, you can charge for that, correct?

At any rate, I don't usually go through Head-Fi when I build stuff for people, and I don't go through the FS forums, so I don't think I'm breaking any rules

I'm pretty sure you can't sell anything that was bought with the intent to make a profit. Whether you fit under that description only you know.

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #25 of 96

Quote:

HiFi is my one main hobby. My money that doesn't go to my education goes to it. This includes much of my internship and co-op money.

True, but if you talk with Jude and get MOT status, then you can.

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #26 of 96

Quote:
Quote:

I've always thought this was grey area. Like I get when companies like Rudistor or ALO are MOT, but what about DIY'ers that more or less don't have too much experience, but enough to make things work and not explode? And what about the Germania fiasco? She was a single person DIY'ing stuff and because she was a MOT, she was pretty trusted and randomly turned corrupt. Then again, there's the Singlepower thing too.

Anyways, I don't play video games and parents tend to just give me money when I hang with friends, so I save gift money and money I've gotten for random work to use only on this hobby. Although my dad encourages DIY and paid for amp parts and will partially pay for speaker parts. The rest is just luck and getting nice stuff for cheap or trading things.

Dec 18, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #27 of 96

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've always thought this was grey area. Like I get when companies like Rudistor or ALO are MOT, but what about DIY'ers that more or less don't have too much experience, but enough to make things work and not explode? And what about the Germania fiasco? She was a single person DIY'ing stuff and because she was a MOT, she was pretty trusted and randomly turned corrupt. Then again, there's the Singlepower thing too.

I just read about the Germania thing, and I understand now why that rule is in place. I might become a MOT after I improve my soldering abilities and have more experience. 

Dec 19, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #28 of 96
Dec 19, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #29 of 96

Users who are viewing this thread

Back