High School and College Head-fi'ers: How do you finance your gear?
Dec 17, 2010 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 96

iem222

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow high-school and college Head-fi'ers, how do you finance your gear? Summer jobs, trading headphones, etc? Curious to hear some ideas. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 96
I don't have a job, but I simply don't spend any money on anything but headphones and my computer stuff. Not having to spend money on a car and gas helps.

I'm in High School.

Dec 17, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 96
My parents said if I didn't kill myself they'd buy me a K701. 

Dec 17, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #4 of 96
Quote:
My parents said if I didn't kill myself they'd buy me a K701. 

Is it bad how much I lol'd at this?

But yeah, I'm with BobSaysHi. Just save every last damn penny you can get and squeeze money out of people whenever you can. I'm in my last year of high school. Been meaning to get a part-time job for a good while now, though.

Dec 17, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 96
Well, I like to DIY, and I build amps and DACs for my friends and members of this site. That brings in some money, depending on the amp or dac.

If you want anything built, PM me. 
wink_face.gif

Dec 17, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #6 of 96
Some of it comes from birthday presents/money, some of it from a very generous brother, some of it comes from awards (ex. I got an Orchestra Parent Association Award in 8th grade for $100), and some of it comes from seasonal jobs (ex. mowing the lawn, raking leaves, etc.)

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 96
Yep just remembered another thing, reminded by the other posts: I also DIY most gear, which saves quite a bit of cash. I also got an engineering scholarship a few years back which has netted me £500 (~$750) over the past two years for spending on 'practical projects'. That + the ability to DIY amps/DACs = happy me.

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 96
Back when I was at High School I used to buy old heavy amps and speakers off the net, put them together and sell them as a 'system'. Some times adding a bit of dampening to the speakers and always playing albums from Massive Attack, Greg Brown and Cat Power to impress buyers :wink:

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #9 of 96
Birthdays and Christmas is the best way. My family members send me checks and my parents get me few things. I occasionally get money from a day job of helping someone move, but if its in the like the middle of the year and December is too far off, I will sell something to get the funds for whatever I want. Things are always shifting in and out.

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #10 of 96
Btw, I'm a senior in high school.

Dec 17, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #11 of 96
I have some pretty unusually high-end gear for a college student, but I worked for it part-time to get most of the stuff.
Other than that, I don't spend much money outside the usual daily life expenses, so most of my disposable income and money I saved up (such as cash gifts I got at new years etc) went to audio.

But lately I rarely buy anything, since I've pretty much reached the setups I want.
I still like to read about new gear and of course would like to try them, but not enough to actually spend money for it.
Right now the only thing I would save up for is AT's 50th anniversary product that is undoubtedly coming up.

Dec 17, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #12 of 96
I bought equipment when I had a job and fewer expenses. Now that I have to pay for tuition and housing, I don't buy gear. It's very simple.

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #14 of 96
Well, I just got 60 bucks back after selling back some of my books at the end of the semester... Its tempting to throw that into the fund. Not having friends helps a lot, by the way. Skip out of a couple of previously-planned movie outings, which go for $10-20 a person between drinks and food and movie tickets, and you can quickly come up with enough money to spend on "exessive" hobbies like this

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #15 of 96

Quote:
I don't have a job, but I simply don't spend any money on anything but headphones 

yup. same here. I also get a very generous allowance, which helps a lot.

EDIT: I'm a freshman in highschool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back