High-impedance IEMs: ER4S, 4B; GR8, what else?
Feb 28, 2011 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Banned at his own request
Title says it all. Basically my source device (PCM-D50) is way too powerful for low-impedance stuff. 32 ohm full-sizers, such as the HD215 and even the DT880-32 that I tried once, hold up well (probably due to mid-to-low sensitivity). But not IEMs. Which is why I'm selling the Coppers...
This isn't a problem in winter as I listen indoors or in-car. But in summer I go about with a boonie hat, the round thing with wide brims so full sizers can't fit over them. Besides it gets really hot with the all-black and such.
So my goal is to get high-impedance IEMs. I know that there aren't a lot. Apart from what I listed, what else?

PS. The ER4P with the conversion cable really doesn't count. Adding resistors in-line would alter the drivers' response since resistors are not flat overall.

Feb 28, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 7
RE262, RE1.

ER4P and 4S are only different in the resistors inside the cable pod, and 4S and 4B is different in the addition of small caps.

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 7
I cannot really divulge that since I do not know the authenticity of the source(s) and I do not want to risk legal action. But it was not through espionage, neither did I pay for such information. I personally am negatively biased towards HiFiMan anyway.
But let's get back on track.
Whole thing is that the Coppers, while on D-32, are very balanced. Monster probably tuned up the bass to compensate for (or against) the lack of power in today's DAPs (D-32, while a CD player, pushes a mere 9mW at 16). But when it meets a really good one (PCM-D50, AD8662, 25mW at 16) the "real nature" of the bass shows: Absolute in-ear cannons. The HD215, sounding tinny on the D-32, actually sounds quite balanced (still slightly treble-heavy) with the PCM-D50.
So. Choices? High-impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back