High-End Solid State Amps : Overview & Roundtable
Sep 16, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #92 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No chance that op-amp based amps can compete true hi-end so I think we can put aside Jan Meier's production, with all those lowly LM6171 inside.

This is a completely ridiculous claim. Worse, it is an unsubstantiated claim.

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #93 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanderx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a completely ridiculous claim. Worse, it is an unsubstantiated claim.

a lot of high-end is 'attitude'.

no need to let FACTS get in the way of a good 4 figure (or more) sale.

lol
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #95 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by argentum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SPL Phonitor and Auditor use 120 volt opamps. Do you really think that these 2 amps doesn't qualify as high end ss amps !?
tongue.gif

Phonitor and Auditor use an in-house developed, discrete handbuilt OpAmps designs which are probably not comparable to the regular chip based OpAmp available on the market - the latter I believe the orginial post wanted to refer to.
wink_face.gif

Which doesn't mean that chip based amps can not sound like high end either though....

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #96 of 114
Quote:

LeMat, I agree with you, without expanding the justification.
wink.gif
You have some Sugden Headmaster, CEC HD53, Luxman P-1 as well. No idea where it places itself. The RP-010 is quad power supply driven and you can see the interior. Is it possible to achieve this level of craftmanship with a DIY kit assembly? Maybe.

Which Rudistor amps have you heard?

Sep 17, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #98 of 114
Quote:

LeMat, I agree with you, without expanding the justification.
wink.gif
You have some Sugden Headmaster, CEC HD53, Luxman P-1 as well. No idea where it places itself. The RP-010 is quad power supply driven and you can see the interior. Is it possible to achieve this level of craftmanship with a DIY kit assembly? Maybe.

Again I've compared the two.. the Rudistor RP010 Classic was vastly inferior in both build quality and sound to several fine DIY designs/builds.

I don't know why you think Rudistor stuff is so awesome all the examples Ive seen/heard of are of shoddy build quality and if you search around there are several threads that talk about the design and the the accuracy of specs listed (Not very flatteringly)...

If you own a unit that has exceptional build quality feel free to take some pics and forward them to me and if they are better then what I've seen in the past I will take back everything I've said and acknowledge that the company has changed since my past experiences but I will also forward the pics to people with design skills for their thoughts to see if the praise you heap on him is now applicable as well.

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #99 of 114
Beside this very intersting discussion about DIYing, which I understand could probably offer the best value for money but require knowledge, skills, dedication and faith, I'd like to point you an answer I got from SPL to the question I aksed in this thread : "why such a price difference between a phonitor and an auditor which use the same amp circuitry"
The answer in itself is an evidence on how this company consider customer service.... amazing, period. Germans are usually not kidding when it comes to engineering but wow.... their customer support is truly "north american" (I felt the difference when I left Europe !)

"thank you for your continuing interest. The Phonitor's monitoring functions take more than you may believe at the first glance. You know, providing these functions by analog circuits does not only eat up a bit chip power like in the digital world -- it takes real components, and they must be controlled by switches and knobs etc.
We always calculate every product with fix factors based upon the manufacturing costs. We never calculate our products with regard to their ... intellectual potential if you like (this would be the same as with the value of your work: actually priceless!
That is also why we often can explain the price difference of our products also by their weight: Auditor 2,65 kg, Phonitor 4,05 kg :wink:

IMHO you have to decide if you really need the monitoring functions. If there's any doubt, get the Auditor -- you would certainly pay too much for an experiment if you are not sure. But if you are looking for a professional headphone monitoring solution ALSO in situations where full range speaker monitoring is not or not always an option, the Phonitor's price would certainly be justified -- it can be a mighty tool in a monitoring chain. Thus it can solve problems much cheaper than alternative procedures, or offers new chances for working places and scenarios (working at home, at night, in unsuitable rooms etc.)."

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #100 of 114
I own the RPX-33 and absolutely love its effortless presentation. I get BIG sound that will drive any pair of headphones I've tried very well -- including my JH13's. It is essentially dead silent.

I don't think I'll be replacing it any time soon.

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #101 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the RPX-33 and absolutely love its effortless presentation. I get BIG sound that will drive any pair of headphones I've tried very well -- including my JH13's. It is essentially dead silent.

I don't think I'll be replacing it any time soon.

According to this review http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f14/ru...9/#post2481856
it definitely looks like a hell of an amp !
Surprising how the inside is "simple"

Sep 29, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #102 of 114
I got an unbelievable deal on an SPL Auditor (probably a price mistake) so I pulled the trigger.
Will let you know what I think of it.

If I really have spare time this winter, I may also start building a beta22... still more useful than doing an ugly puzzle
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #103 of 114
Op-amps provide better matched transistors and components compare to discreet solutions. If you don't need the power offered by discreet solutions, ie most headphones fall in this category, op-amp would provide the more hi-fi solution for the money.

Oct 10, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #104 of 114
Quote:

No chance that op-amp based amps can compete true hi-end so I think we can put aside Jan Meier's production, with all those lowly LM6171 inside.

I prefer Opera to M3 with Sig11 and both run circles around Glite w/ power supply.

I used to think just like you, but now I know better after 10yrs in this hobby.

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #105 of 114
Soooooooooo..... what's the verdict then?

Which one is the BEST Solid State headphone amp out there?

(no Single Power or Rudi please)

I have the awesome Dynahi, but it has only one headphone output; and I just sold my Beta22, build by a fellow head-fier, since it was dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back