High-End Solid State Amps : Overview & Roundtable
Oct 26, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #108 of 114

LeMat

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 13, 2007
Posts
463
Likes
59
Location
Geneva
After all the discussions, and while I wanted to stay away from the DIY world, I have been convinced this amp is a hell of a reference... so I'll take the plunge.
For the same budget I could have an SPL auditor but ... taking SPL + retailer mark-up into consideration, this shoulnd't be able to compete.

Just one thing I'm wondering. Should I go with a complete dual mono, meaning 2 distinct PSU line (twin sigma22) or a standard single one ? I have no clue what difference it can make...
 
Oct 26, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #109 of 114

Steve Eddy

Member of the Trade: The Audio Guild
Aka: TempAccount555
Joined
Sep 28, 2003
Posts
6,609
Likes
543
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeMat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just one thing I'm wondering. Should I go with a complete dual mono, meaning 2 distinct PSU line (twin sigma22) or a standard single one ? I have no clue what difference it can make...


Well, dual power supplies are typically used to help prevent interchannel crosstalk through the supply rails.

But if you build a "balanced" B22, the current draw from the power supply will be constant as long as you stay in class A (which you should for just about any headphone you plan to use with it), so there's nothing to couple through the supply rails, in which case dual supplies offer no particular benefit.

se

nodualxlr.gif
 
Oct 26, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #110 of 114

LeMat

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 13, 2007
Posts
463
Likes
59
Location
Geneva
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, dual power supplies are typically used to help prevent interchannel crosstalk through the supply rails.

But if you build a "balanced" B22, the current draw from the power supply will be constant as long as you stay in class A (which you should for just about any headphone you plan to use with it), so there's nothing to couple through the supply rails, in which case dual supplies offer no particular benefit.

se

nodualxlr.gif



Thanks. But I aim at building a single ended B22 (will see later if I decide to go balanced), so would you recommend a dual PSU ? And if so, will it make a real difference or is it as "elusive" as burn-in and these kind of things ?

Mmmm I just found out this read....
http://books.google.ca/books?id=uET2...age&q=&f=false
may answer my questions
 
Oct 26, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #111 of 114

Steve Eddy

Member of the Trade: The Audio Guild
Aka: TempAccount555
Joined
Sep 28, 2003
Posts
6,609
Likes
543
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeMat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. But I aim at building a single ended B22 (will see later if I decide to go balanced), so would you recommend a dual PSU ? And if so, will it make a real difference or is it as "elusive" as burn-in and these kind of things ?


Whatever benefit there might be with dual supplies I would expect to be marginal at best.

First, the o22 will keep the rails well regulated and provide a very low output impedance.

Second, when it comes to power supply rejection, the B22's designed rather like a guy in one of those bomb proof suits with every stage being cascoded which keeps it well isolated from the supply rails.

If it were me, I'd go with a single supply.

se

nodualxlr.gif
 
Oct 26, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #112 of 114

LeMat

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 13, 2007
Posts
463
Likes
59
Location
Geneva
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whatever benefit there might be with dual supplies I would expect to be marginal at best.
.......

If it were me, I'd go with a single supply.

se

nodualxlr.gif



That's what I tought and what I was expecting to read
smily_headphones1.gif


Let's see what I'm capable of now !
 
Oct 26, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #113 of 114

Steve Eddy

Member of the Trade: The Audio Guild
Aka: TempAccount555
Joined
Sep 28, 2003
Posts
6,609
Likes
543
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeMat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I tought and what I was expecting to read
smily_headphones1.gif


Let's see what I'm capable of now !



Whether single supply or dual, take good care when it comes to grounding.

In the meantime, good luck!

se
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top