High End Racks
Apr 6, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #106 of 166
I had a lesser Solid Steel for years and it was excellent.  This looks really nice.  What is that in back?  Artwork or sound deadening? 
Quote:
I finally bought a commercial rack.  Its not off-the-charts expensive, but I believe it to be high end.
Its the hyper spike HS4 from SolidSteel.

It uses MDF shelves, but there is a rubberized compound paint on the top and some sort of polished paint on the bottom.
I also have a diy 'flexy' with MDF shelves and the difference in vibration is mind boggling.

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #108 of 166
Quote:
Racks?  You guys are talking equipment shelves 
biggrin.gif
, this is what a rack looks like (also free if you can find an old decommissioned theater).

I've got a couple racks in my office for my lab gear. Not exactly the stuff that makes the wife happy!

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #109 of 166
HEY WOAH WAIT A SECOND HERE. 5k for the proper chair does nothing but enhance the listening experience. A genuine Eames Lounger runs right around 5k...

Quote:
I'm not referring to headphones. That is a necessity for music listening. I'm referring to those that drop 20 thousand on a rack. Ten thousand plus on a per power cord, 5,000 for a chair and buy every headphone/headphone amp that ranges from 20 dollars to 7000 dollars. They can do what they want with their income, but there is a point where one of their friends, (assuming they have any) tell them to chill out and just appreciate the music. When you have a blue hawaii and a 009, why do you need a hd800 and a p1u?

Apr 10, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #110 of 166
Quote:
HEY WOAH WAIT A SECOND HERE. 5k for the proper chair does nothing but enhance the listening experience. A genuine Eames Lounger runs right around 5k...

Indeed, it's probably the best audio related "investment" one could do. I'd rather buy an Eames than a pair of SR009's.
EDIT : damn, just saw that typo...

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #111 of 166
I've had the Eames in my system for 18 years.  Still great and always will be.  

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #114 of 166
May not be high end in price, but i think its pretty high end as far as utility and its goals are concerned. built it(more like stacked it) myself. Made out of cinder blocks, MDF and 1/4" neoprene rubber that i cut to size to put between every layer to be used to vibration isolation/dampening. The top shelf is gonna be replaced with a 1" think piece of acrylic from TAP Plastics down the road as well.

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #117 of 166
Good job Souprknowva!.
 . There have been many -"home made" racks made this side of the Atlantic and some --surprisingly enough when tested by "golden Ears" outperformed some commercial units.
        Dont judge by looks it doesnt always work that way. 

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #118 of 166
Apr 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #119 of 166
haha that rack is ghetto.

I have a lot of cinder blocks already in my home for different things, so it's a motif I like. The utilitarian look is something I appreciate. But yes it looks pretty ghetto, but I bet it would compete very well with other high end racks, it's very massive obviously, and is vibration dampened at every level with an industrial strength rubber material known for its vibration dampening characteristics.

But really I just like to put most of my money into things that will make the biggest difference in sound, so the rack came last monetarily.

Good job Souprknowva!.
 . There have been many -"home made" racks made this side of the Atlantic and some --surprisingly enough when tested by "golden Ears" outperformed some commercial units.
        Dont judge by looks it doesnt always work that way. 

Thanks duncan1 :)

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #120 of 166
Having owned 009s and moved to speakers instead I'd also rather buy a 5k chair instead of 009s.

Quote:
If you would rather buy a chair over a pair of sr009's you need to get your life straightened out. Come on kid. 

I was actually planning on one of these for awhile, and am still considering it...but an expensive listening chair is a ways off for me.

I've also shifted towards speakers at this point and I feel the Zero G recliners might alter sound due to different ear position in relation to the speakers.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back