High-end IEM vs High-end speakers
Dec 23, 2009 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

brown274

100+ Head-Fier
I have been wondering lately how the top IEM's (13 pro, 11 pro etc...) compare to high-end speakers. While the top in ears will cost about $1300, Speakers usually start at $1300. Are these IEM's anywhere in the same league as top tier speakers from makers like Focal, Dynaudio, Wilson ect....

Dec 24, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 41
IIRC, IEM's will always have the best bang for the buck, when compared to speakers. This is because of the lower amount of distortion from the air. It comes at the price of a less powerful bass, and a smaller soundstage, however.

Dec 24, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #4 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Completely different experience. Pick your poison.

Agreed - speakers are a totally different animal. I just picked up a pair of Audioengine A2s for $170, and have been splitting my listening time roughly equally ever since between the speakers and the $1400 HD800 because the listening experience is so different.

Dec 24, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #5 of 41
Yup totally different. One thing i will say is if your going to get into high quality speakers treat your listening room in with your budget as well that will make a huge impact on your experience.

Dec 24, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterControversy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IIRC, IEM's will always have the best bang for the buck, when compared to speakers. This is because of the lower amount of distortion from the air. It comes at the price of a less powerful bass, and a smaller soundstage, however.

Good planars control distortion very well though. One could get a set of Magnepan MG12 for $1200 or less.
biggrin.gif

Also, speakers definitely.

Dec 24, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #8 of 41
even inexpensive yet detailing speakers like Klipsch promedia GMX A-2.1 beats any headphones & a few inexpensive IEMs at my listening room ... true soundstage and ample amount of controlled bass... you may want to audition decent ones like Dynaudio speakers & subwoofers
wink_face.gif

different beasts .. i go for speakers
beerchug.gif

Dec 24, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #9 of 41
Speakers, no question.

The best speakers are only second to live music.

You don't have to pay a fortune, either. My Quad ESL-63s and a Conrad-Johnson MV52 cost less than a JH13 or HD-800. If you look around you can find bargains on terrific used speakers. They're a much better value than buying new.

Dec 24, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speakers, no question.

The best speakers are only second to live music.

You don't have to pay a fortune, either. My Quad ESL-63s and a Conrad-Johnson MV52 cost less than a JH13 or HD-800. If you look around you can find bargains on terrific used speakers. They're a much better value than buying new.

True that. Even though they aren't "uber" level speakers I got my Maggie SMGa used for $250 shipped -- no banana peeling voice coil either. I'd be hard pressed finding another speaker of that quality for that price used or new.
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back