High-end IEM vs High-end speakers
Dec 27, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is like comparing a ride in a Lamborghini or Fighter Jet, O.O

Yes, a Lambo makes you nauseous just sitting in it because it's so dang uncomfortable, whereas you actually have to take flight in a fighter jet before getting sick.

Dec 27, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ "destroy".

Yes, "destroy" as in he's never heard truly outstanding speakers in a room without room treatments, so he's making an overgeneralization to make a point that he cannot support.

Dec 27, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #19 of 41
Different experience. My Headphones are more detailed than my speakers and more intimate but the speakers have more soundstage/reality sound. I actually like the headphones better at this moment but if I had a dedicated room an a lot of extra cash to upgrade stuff a bit that may change. You seem to get more for headphones for the price and my headphone setup is more expensive than the speakers so multiply that to get an equivalent speaker set up.

Dec 27, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Djnx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any High-end IEM will destroy any high-end speakers if your room doesn't have acoustic treatment.

Not to put too precise a refutation on what you said...

But

Absolute and utter horse****.

I've got no room treatment. I'd wage my speaker rig in musical combat, cripplingly under-amped though it is, against any IEM. Or any headphone. Or any other speaker rig I've heard.

Dec 27, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, a Lambo makes you nauseous just sitting in it because it's so dang uncomfortable, whereas you actually have to take flight in a fighter jet before getting sick.

You saying a fighter jet is comfortable? I beg to differ.

Dec 27, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, "destroy" as in he's never heard truly outstanding speakers in a room without room treatments, so he's making an overgeneralization to make a point that he cannot support.

I can.

Dec 27, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #23 of 41
I knew when I started this thread that it would end up down the drain. I guess there is not enough people on there that have both top tier iem's and high-end towers.

Dec 27, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Different experience. My Headphones are more detailed than my speakers and more intimate but the speakers have more soundstage/reality sound. I actually like the headphones better at this moment but if I had a dedicated room an a lot of extra cash to upgrade stuff a bit that may change. You seem to get more for headphones for the price and my headphone setup is more expensive than the speakers so multiply that to get an equivalent speaker set up.

Now that's a proper reply..Nice style. Nothing is absolute for all.

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #25 of 41
High end IEM's are easier to get and very little is needed to get the best fidelity from them. They make "carefull" listening and monitoring a piece of cake.
When you enter the High-End full-size speaker world, you dont just get a small box in the mail and plug it in. A dedicated room with only your audio equipment is recommended. That room needs to seal you from any possible outside noises, so if you have your own house and not an apartment you have it made.
For now I prefer to listen to my IEM's because it completely isolates the outside noises and I dont have to worry about if the people arround me like the music I listen to.
My future plans are to have a dedicated HIgh-end sound room where I can listen to and enjoy my music coming from Speakers as I do right now with IEM's.

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #27 of 41
When you say high end speakers, it does not really say much because it is a system and may even include the room itself. I've heard a very high end system play a drum set that was very close to a real live drum set, the kick drums were really impressive, however I could still tell that it was straining.

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Modifiedz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
High end IEM's are easier to get and very little is needed to get the best fidelity from them. They make "carefull" listening and monitoring a piece of cake.
When you enter the High-End full-size speaker world, you dont just get a small box in the mail and plug it in. A dedicated room with only your audio equipment is recommended. That room needs to seal you from any possible outside noises, so if you have your own house and not an apartment you have it made.
For now I prefer to listen to my IEM's because it completely isolates the outside noises and I dont have to worry about if the people arround me like the music I listen to.
My future plans are to have a dedicated HIgh-end sound room where I can listen to and enjoy my music coming from Speakers as I do right now with IEM's.

Best of luck to you! I had the perfect set up in 2 rooms...And then, I got divorced. Well, I don't have the rooms anymore.

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #29 of 41
I have been doing some auditions at local shops and have just wondered how the 13pro's compared to some of the Focal utopia series and the Wilson watt puppy lines. I really do not know the difference since I have never heard a custom iem. I have only heard the triplefi and the 6i's.

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by brown274 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sort of feel like with iem's in my ears, I am on-stage with the band. While listing to speakers, I feel like I have front row seats to the show.

I feel the same way. It seems that there's a different experience between the two, and they each have their own style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back